Confirmed with Link: Ryan Lindgren Recalled (04/04/19)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Coincidence? Hope so. Or was it mgmt. was "reminded" that we had this kid down there......(in correlation to Nash retirement night.)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Love how Sam opened the broadcast last night by saying "big game for Ryan Lindgren, the 21 year old who will turn 21 next month"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I thought he did pretty well. No major hiccups. The Aho semi-breakaway/penalty was really just kind of a tough break with the puck bouncing like that--could have happened to anyone. Otherwise he was involved, kinda beat Svechnikov up on that one shift. For a first game, I think it was very good.

Also, the Canes playing poorly is, to me, irrelevant. They're still an NHL team and they certainly generated some chances last night. It wasn't like they came out totally flat and recorded 15 shots. He had to defend some really good players, and again, in his debut.

Reactions: Crease

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Thought Lindgren was very sound. He had the one penalty which the puck bounced on him and he was caught in between as it was so he didnt have momentum/speed going back towards his net.

But I liked his game. He played tough in front of the net and in the center lane. He was tying up forwards sticks and bodying them, which has been an extremely large part of the problem in the middle in our own end. You saw him play physical but he was picking his spots being weary of his positioning. He moved the puck fine and his skating looked more than serviceable to keep up with NHL forwards

Its one game, but if he can play like that moving forward he fits exactly what this team needs now and in the future.

Reactions: Kupo and trilobyte

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Also, the Canes playing poorly is, to me, irrelevant. They're still an NHL team and they certainly generated some chances last night. It wasn't like they came out totally flat and recorded 15 shots. He had to defend some really good players, and again, in his debut.
The Canes playing poorly IS irrelevant, my comment was me being a smart ass to the poster above me who commented in another thread of "Canes being trash" in my compliment to ADA's game.

Reactions: nyr2k2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Got a chance to see Lindgren from up close last night. One of the things that I love that he does is that he actively seeks to prevent players from being in front of the net. Chicago was cycling in the zone, but he did not chase. He guarded his side and when a player skated in front, there was a cross check to the back here, a whack with a stick there. As opposed to reacting when players are behind them, as we have see all too much of, he was actively attempting to prevent the situation from occurring. He was also not in a big hurry to be the first one in. When skating on offense, he was usually the last one up ice, playing rear guard. Smart.

I realize that this is VERY early into his career, all of two games in. But if this is his type of game, it is welcome. Not flashy. Nor does it have to be. Slow and steady. The type of game that can steady a defense. If he plays this way, there is no reason to remove him.

I realize the storm that is about to come when I am about to say this. His play is reminiscent of a much, much younger Dan Girardi. But with much more of a mean streak. Again, only two games in.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Got a chance to see Lindgren from up close last night. One of the things that I love that he does is that he actively seeks to prevent players from being in front of the net. Chicago was cycling in the zone, but he did not chase. He guarded his side and when a player skated in front, there was a cross check to the back here, a whack with a stick there. As opposed to reacting when players are behind them, as we have see all too much of, he was actively attempting to prevent the situation from occurring. He was also not in a big hurry to be the first one in. When skating on offense, he was usually the last one up ice, playing rear guard. Smart.

I realize that this is VERY early into his career, all of two games in. But if this is his type of game, it is welcome. Not flashy. Nor does it have to be. Slow and steady. The type of game that can steady a defense. If he plays this way, there is no reason to remove him.

I realize the storm that is about to come when I am about to say this. His play is reminiscent of a much, much younger Dan Girardi. But with much more of a mean streak. Again, only two games in.
Good post.

We need a calming, smart and physical presence in our blue line. So far so good with this kid. Really liking his game.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

As long as he’s slotted properly, Lindgren carving out a Girardi-type of career would be welcomed.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

What I like about him so far is he seems to know exactly kind player he is and what he needs to do to be effective.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As long as he’s slotted properly, Lindgren carving out a Girardi-type of career would be welcomed.

-20 Shot Differential at Even Strength through 2 games already. I guess he already is carving out a career like Danny Girardi.

:sarcasm:

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
What I like about him so far is he seems to know exactly kind player he is and what he needs to do to be effective.

I liked his game last night. Someone mentioned Michael Sauer to me and I see it. Steady with the puck and not afraid to use his body.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
That is a godsend for this team. I feel like we've had guys try to do too much or elevate their role, or try to, and it gets them out of what they are good at and ultimately hurts them. He keeps that up I don't see why he can't hang around. Guys that know themselves and what they can and need to do to be a good piece on a team are...valuable to say the least.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
And when defending the problem with that is.......?

In general, that it leads to more defending. It's probably part of the reason that he's spent the vast majority of his time in the d-zone so far.

But he's a kid who's still figuring out how his game fits at this level. I think we're giving him a little too much credit for playing well right now; he isn't really. He's playing well in the context of him being a rookie who has already shown some improvement; not in the context of being a positive contributor yet.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He definitely comes from the Dan Girardi School of Off the Glass and Out.
I don't doubt he'll get better at that. That's what he was like at the beginning of the year in Hartford, but as he settled in, he became more comfortable transporting the puck himself or making smart passes. That was actually one aspect of his game McCambridge singled out as having really improved, to the point it was a strength. He just needs to adjust.

As far as the Sauer comparison, I've been tempted to make that myself, but Lindgren is more physical--in a very aggressive way--than Sauer, and I always said Sauer had some latent offense in him. Sauer started to really join the rush and get involved offensively, and I though he was going to become a 25-point guy annually. I haven't seen quite that willingness from Lindgren, at any level. Although that rush he went on where he should have drawn a tripping penalty was nice to see. It also indicates he's starting to get comfortable.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In general, that it leads to more defending. It's probably part of the reason that he's spent the vast majority of his time in the d-zone so far.
Or you prevent scoring chances by getting the puck out of your zone and not icing it. Seeing as how the Rangers have played defense this year, I do not think this is the worst course of action.
But he's a kid who's still figuring out how his game fits at this level. I think we're giving him a little too much credit for playing well right now; he isn't really. He's playing well in the context of him being a rookie who has already shown some improvement; not in the context of being a positive contributor yet.
He is a 20 year old who is playing well for what he is, a player with two games of experience. What are you expecting from him? Of course he is figuring out the game and will continue to do so. But saying that he has a solid, if not flashy couple of games is not the same as lauding him for the Norris.

Reactions: RGY

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Or you prevent scoring chances by getting the puck out of your zone and not icing it. Seeing as how the Rangers have played defense this year, I do not think this is the worst course of action.

He is a 20 year old who is playing well for what he is, a player with two games of experience. What are you expecting from him? Of course he is figuring out the game and will continue to do so. But saying that he has a solid, if not flashy couple of games is not the same as lauding him for the Norris.

If off the glass and out is your primary strategy, it is a very bad course of action.

I think he has shown flashes of what he can/will be for sure. I'm expecting him to develop confidence as he plays more, and start playing more punishing defense. As he does this, I also expect him to start helping the transition to offense more. I wasn't expecting him to play well out of the gate, and he hasn't; but he was noticeably more settled in in his second game, and I'm looking forward to seeing where his comfort level can take him.

I guess when I read "solid", I automatically assumed that you meant "already solid". Which I think is a very low bar to set. I'd sooner not continue this. I like the kid and if he can translate his game to the NHL it would be a piece we've been missing for a long time; I don't want to get cast as a doubter or hater or whatever.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
And when defending the problem with that is.......?

We can go back and forth on this for days. As a goalie, I don't hate the off-the-glass-and-out approach when pinned and needing a line change. In all other scenarios, though, it's more valuable to make the breakout pass. The best defensemen are able to create breakout scenarios out of thin air. In the NHL, neutral zone play is now near non-existent and teams are able to go from their own blue line to controlled offensive possession in a matter of seconds. Off-the-glass-and-out offers the team just momentary reprieve from danger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad