Confirmed with Link: Ryan Lindgren Recalled (04/04/19)

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I hope G, Staal, Cally, Duby, VP, Feds, Rozy etc... get more respect in hindsight the further we get from the freshness of their declining years.

Those "Blue Collar Blueshirts" teams really got me invested back into hockey after those dark years. The locker seemed to have really bought into what they were doing, and the effort was there. Personalities seemed like they meshed well, and they had actual personalities and not the same old monotonous mumble. In those years, we were a hard team to play against, but it wore on them over the course of a season.

Readily using/sacrificing their bodies is part of the reason why things seem so dismal for them now with lots of miles. Just a different style of the game today--less grinding, more finesse. But still, those Rangers teams were some of my favorites, and they most certainly have my respect.

But, to be on topic, I like Lindgren's game so far, and a steadying, defense-minded presence is something we're lacking. Playing it safe for his first cup of coffee is understandable, and I think he'll only get better.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Kind of an aside, here, but I still feel like it's worth mentioning.

It's kind of unfair to look at Girardi now, through the lens of the modern-day game. When he broke into the league there wasn't a ton of emphasis on things like puck possession, controlled zone exits and zone entries, etc. As I remember it, it was kind of like the pre-lockout NHL but with less clutching and grabbing. There was still a ton of trapping, lots of teams that emphasized shot blocking to a high degree. Not much mention of Corsi or Fenwick or anything; analytics were still in their infancy. Accordingly, the game Girardi played was valued, and actually lauded. He was a simple, meat-and-potatoes, block shots, pin you to the corner, chip-and-chase defenseman that was good at that at a time when that was a valued commodity.

IIRC it was probably a little more than halfway through his career (to date) that things started changing, really, with more of an emphasis on analytics, maintaining possession of the puck, and so on. And by then, Girardi was what he was, and he probably wasn't capable of adapting to the shifts in what was emphasized on the ice. We can look at it now and say that his game was statistically ineffective, but it was not viewed that way then. It's like looking back at quarterbacks from 30 years ago, and saying they were terrible because they had a TD:INT ratio of 1, average passer rating of 70, threw twice as many picks, etc. It was a different game and different things were emphasized.

It wasn’t just the league or the way we viewed hockey, the Rangers also changed.

When AV came in DG went from being just another Ranger who couldn’t get out of the zone under Torts to the poster child for the disconnect between the system that AV ran and the players he erroneously valued to run it. Dan getting older, the team getting worse and McD no longer looking like a potential Norris winner didn’t help.

It’s not revisionism, it was just reevaluating him under different circumstances.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Teams are allowed 4 call ups after trade deadline. The Rangers used their 4 on Hajek, Lettieri, Gilmour and Lindgren. Why did they wait until the last two games of the year to give Lindgren another look?

Whatever.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I don't think Lindgren is ready by any stretch, but giving the kid some motivation for the offseason can't hurt.

Still can't believe they didn't give Meskanen a game or two. That one is a head-scratcher for me. Same thing for Bigras.

Reactions: Lays

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Lindgren is ready by any stretch, but giving the kid some motivation for the offseason can't hurt.

Still can't believe they didn't give Meskanen a game or two. That one is a head-scratcher for me. Same thing for Bigras.
Was hoping he comes up. He looked fine in his limited time. I was at one of the games and got to see him up close. Was not overwhelmed at all.

Remember that no one thought that Hajek was ready as well. I think that getting out of the cluster@#$ that is Hartford is a positive.

Will regurgitate what I said about him after I saw him play. What I really liked was that he was the only defense man who actively was preventing players from going to the net. The others reacted once the opposition was there already. Lindgren was the only one who was actively keeping them from arriving at all.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
100% motivated by Quinn's presser last night. If Lindgren is good at one thing, its board battles.

Nothing the Rangers do right now is motivated by the last 2 games this season. They are trying to evaluate how many 7, 8, 9 defensemen to sign in the summer for when injuries hit or if rookies can handle it for a few sheltered games at a time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really would love for Quinn to find a way to see both Lindgren and Hajek to get meaningful time next year.

If a hard conversation needs to be had with Henke about splitting time, maybe it's time to have a similar discussion with Stall.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Lindgren and Hajek were both very efficient with their coverage, skating and first pass. They're both better than Claesson and more reliable in their own zone than Pionk. They need to give these guys a chance to stay up with the big club next year. Especially as the next crop of D arrive in the Pros (Reunanan, Rykov, Keane) and possibly Fox. + Sean Day seems to have established himself as a legit AHLer at this point. And by 2020 we could be looking at Lundkvist and Miller joining the AHL. There's not a huge window for each of these young D to establish a spot with the big club. Claesson, Smith, Shattenkirk are all players that may need to move on if we're going to have enough space to develop all the young D.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lindgren and Hajek were both very efficient with their coverage, skating and first pass. They're both better than Claesson and more reliable in their own zone than Pionk. They need to give these guys a chance to stay up with the big club next year. Especially as the next crop of D arrive in the Pros (Reunanan, Rykov, Keane) and possibly Fox. + Sean Day seems to have established himself as a legit AHLer at this point. And by 2020 we could be looking at Lundkvist and Miller joining the AHL. There's not a huge window for each of these young D to establish a spot with the big club. Claesson, Smith, Shattenkirk are all players that may need to move on if we're going to have enough space to develop all the young D.

I doubt any of Day, Keane, Tarmo are with the big club next season. Rykov is a solid chance.

Reactions: kovazub94

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Teams are allowed 4 call ups after trade deadline. The Rangers used their 4 on Hajek, Lettieri, Gilmour and Lindgren. Why did they wait until the last two games of the year to give Lindgren another look?

Whatever.
Lindgren should have been brought up the MOMENT Hayek went down. Despicable. Would like to know the reason WHY he wasn't.

Of course there are NO guarantees, but right off the top of my head.....(not necessarily exact pairings, nor 1-3)

Skjei/K'Andre(probably closest to a sure thing)
Hayek/Lindgren
Tony D/Pionk (benefit of the doubt)

And then there are the 2 or 3 others, that we haven't seen here in the states and/Rangers uni. I am so excited about this!

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Lindgren should have been brought up the MOMENT Hayek went down. Despicable. Would like to know the reason WHY he wasn't.

Of course there are NO guarantees, but right off the top of my head.....(not necessarily exact pairings, nor 1-3)

Skjei/K'Andre(probably closest to a sure thing)
Hayek/Lindgren
Tony D/Pionk (benefit of the doubt)

And then there are the 2 or 3 others, that we haven't seen here in the states and/Rangers uni. I am so excited about this!

No Karlsson?

There was an article on Blue Line Station a week or two ago, arguing for signing EK and Panarin. :laugh:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
No Karlsson?

There was an article on Blue Line Station a week or two ago, arguing for signing EK and Panarin. :laugh:
I would never in a million years want EK on this team. Too fragile for my liking. Seems to play "when he feels like it" sometimes. (Then again, maybe playing hurt?) Anyway, I believe we will have a solid defense in time, and I am absolutely POSITIVE that Shatty has left a really bad taste in my mouth. So, for me a no go on EK. Panarin OTH, I would love, but he certainly would push us OUT of near the bottom next year, which I don't think is the way to go. Just ONE more bad year and we could EASILY have 2 near top 2020 picks, 1 most certainly and if Zuccha signs and somehow Dallas takes a turn for the worse.......well, ya' never know.
And please, please keep Kreider. I believe he isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I would never in a million years want EK on this team. Too fragile for my liking. Seems to play "when he feels like it" sometimes. (Then again, maybe playing hurt?) Anyway, I believe we will have a solid defense in time, and I am absolutely POSITIVE that Shatty has left a really bad taste in my mouth. So, for me a no go on EK. Panarin OTH, I would love, but he certainly would push us OUT of near the bottom next year, which I don't think is the way to go. Just ONE more bad year and we could EASILY have 2 near top 2020 picks, 1 most certainly and if Zuccha signs and somehow Dallas takes a turn for the worse.......well, ya' never know.
And please, please keep Kreider. I believe he isn't going anywhere.

Agree with just about everything you said.

I just wouldn’t take EK at 29. At 25 or 26, without a doubt, as I think he’ll fare well until he’s 35 or so. Thing is, our kids will be looking for big raises by then, and we wouldn’t be able to squeeze them all under the cap. He might also be a good technical mentor at that point — but that’s one expensive mentor!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad