News Article: Ryan Lambert: Drew Doughty has never been NHL's best defenseman

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If only we had a time machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHkn-jjHEog

sorry, the youtube embed feature doesnt like me.

I just pretend that we got Muzzin with that pick. Muzzin is only a year older than Teubert.

But ya, I still say the single worst pick in franchise history when you consider how awful Teubert turned out to be (wasn't even tendered after his ELC) and the fact that Karlsson was the next defender picked.

Would have been pretty special to have these two guys, they probably would have been on different pairings but I can't think of a better 1-2 punch on defense since I've been a fan of the NHL, and they would have been picked in the same draft, unreal.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I just pretend that we got Muzzin with that pick. Muzzin is only a year older than Teubert.

But ya, I still say the single worst pick in franchise history when you consider how awful Teubert turned out to be (wasn't even tendered after his ELC) and the fact that Karlsson was the next defender picked.

Would have been pretty special to have these two guys, they probably would have been on different pairings but I can't think of a better 1-2 punch on defense since I've been a fan of the NHL, and they would have been picked in the same draft, unreal.

Who knows how Karlsson would have developed here, though. Yes, he would have likely developed into a #2, #1 even, but the ripple effects of drafting both Doughty and Karlsson would have been massive. Maybe we trade one in 2011, when their ELCs are up, and never get Carter? How does the team look now? Do we still win a Cup? Do we three peat?

So many variables, hard to extrapolate.

But agreed that Teubert was one of the worst picks in Lombardi's tenure.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

No way. I could see if thats all we got out of that draft, but we still got Doughty and Slava . I totally understand why they did it trying to fill the need of a Matt Greene type guy in the system, unfortunately it didnt work out. Now if you want to talk worst pick, Brian Boyle-Jeff Tambellini in 2003 and the infamous draft time out when nobody knew who to pick.:shakehead

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Why does anyone even want Doughty to win the Norris? Remember how things worked out with the last Kings player to win that award?

No true Kings fan would suggest trading Drew for either Subban or Karlson, so why is it important for outsiders to give our players similar recognition?

I hope Drew doesn't change a thing, because he just keeps getting better and better every season. Like the article author said, maybe he will have to wait until his 30's before he has a season where he gets the votes for the Norris. If that happens great, but the only way I'll be remotely upset that it took so long is if the team hasn't won more cups till it happens.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

The Kings have had way, way ,way ,way worse picks than that. There are many to choose from, the Kings had two+ decades of awful drafting before Lombardi got here.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings have had way, way ,way ,way worse picks than that. There are many to choose from, the Kings had two+ decades of awful drafting before Lombardi got here.

Way Way Way worse? come on, care to name the ones worse than Teubert?

Debuted in ECHL, was a healthy scratch in AHL , was not tendered after his ELC, was not even invited to camp by an NHL team, ended up playing in the 5th or 6th best league in Europe. And the next defender taken after him is very likely headed to the Hall of Fame. Not to mention the Kings traded a first line forward and a pick to move up to specifically get him.

You are right, there are many to choose from, but I would match Colten Teubert up against Matt Zultek, Jens Karlsson, Lauri Tukonen any of those guys.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Why the long face?

i

Ron*

If only we had a time machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHkn-jjHEog

sorry, the youtube embed feature doesnt like me.

Debuted in ECHL, was a healthy scratch in AHL , was not tendered after his ELC, was not even invited to camp by an NHL team, ended up playing in the 5th or 6th best league in Europe. And the next defender taken after him is very likely headed to the Hall of Fame. Not to mention the Kings traded a first line forward and a pick to move up to specifically get him.

You are right, there are many to choose from, but I would match Colten Teubert up against Matt Zultek, Jens Karlsson, Lauri Tukonen any of those guys.

I don't understand recriminations about what has happened in the past.

Nothing can be done about it. It's in the ****ing past.

Move on.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Sorry captain.

I don't understand the need to try and direct a conversation because you don't like the way it's going, it's not even an off-topic discussion because the Kings could have easily ended up with both guys and it's fun yo think about what-if's.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

The misses in 2003 alone, are worse than Tubs at 13th. The Kings had what ? 4 picks in the top 50 and came away with just Brown. You can even extend it to Five picks in the top 100 players chosen. In probably the deepest Draft there will ever be.

That will be forever the worst draft, the Kings have ever had. Also those picks after Brown, Horrendous.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm going to have to agree with the 2003 draft being far worse because of how far back that draft set the organization back. Dave Taylor had no idea about the concept of moving picks to get into a better draft position, and the team was so unprepared with their selections that they had to call a timeout to figure out who they're going to select with their 26th and 27th selections.

If you guys want to relive that painful day, have at it:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
"The Los Angeles Kings are now on the clock."

*Kings brass looks at each other and scratches their heads*

Dave Taylor - "Spin it."

Spinner.png

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'm going to have to agree with the 2003 draft being far worse because of how far back that draft set the organization back. Dave Taylor had no idea about the concept of moving picks.

Tubs at 13th doesn't even come close to that disaster in 2003.

While the Kings were picking Tambe/Boyle(dear god) and Pushsuck.

Guys like Bergeron/Weber(yup)/Perry(yup)Eriksson/Klein/Carle were still on the board.

Hell David Backes would have been a better pick at 26/27.

Could you imagine Patrice Bergeron as the Kings second line center right now ? Dear God the league(teams) would want to quit playing the Kings altogether.

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
At least Teubert got packaged for Penner. Who was, like it or not, a useful player for a pinpoint in Kings history.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Tubs at 13th doesn't even come close to that disaster in 2003.

While the Kings were picking Tambe/Boyle(dear god) and Pushsuck.

Guys like Bergeron/Weber(yup)/Perry(yup)Eriksson/Klein/Carle were still on the board.

Hell David Backes would have been a better pick at 26/27.

Could you imagine Patrice Bergeron as the Kings second line center right now ? Dear God the league(teams) would want to quit playing the Kings altogether.

Yeah. And rumor was that the Kings wanted either Carter or Jessiman at the time. I'm glad we did end up with Brown instead of Jessiman. We got Carts later, but can you even imagine?

I still think that Tambellini's wrist injury really derailed his career though. His shot was never the same after that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As an outsider I believe last year Doughty was deserving of Norris and to me was best all around defender

Karlsson defensively can be so questionable at times and IMO Doughty was only reason Kings didn't completely fall apart last year. But missing playoffs really hurt him with voters IMO

Captain Mittens*

As an outsider I believe last year Doughty was deserving of Norris and to me was best all around defender

Karlsson defensively can be so questionable at times and IMO Doughty was only reason Kings didn't completely fall apart last year. But missing playoffs really hurt him with voters IMO

politifact%2Fphotos%2FPolitiFact-Ohio-True.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd also mention re the 2003 draft that as bad as it was our development was nonexistent. Boyle and tambs with this development team could have been better. Boyle is a decent player now with power skating training and pushing himself no thanks to us dicking him from forward to d and back again

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
If Drew played in Toronto or Montreal he would have at least two Norris more than half the monkeys that get a vote are in bed when Drew is doing his work.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
If Drew played in Toronto or Montreal he would have at least two Norris more than half the monkeys that get a vote are in bed when Drew is doing his work.

it sucks but Im glad we have him. can you image what the LA blueline would look like without Doughty? ugh

Burnaby_Joe*

I've been watching Doughty for years. He's a stud! The Norris usually goes to the dman who scores the most points or if you play in the East. Pretty stupid if you ask me. There's only one dman I'd take over Doughty and he plays for the Hawks. Doughty steps up his game when it matters most. He's unreal in the playoffs and Olympics. He reminds me of Ray Bourque, but without all those points.

I'm glad he's Canadian!

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
I'd also mention re the 2003 draft that as bad as it was our development was nonexistent. Boyle and tambs with this development team could have been better. Boyle is a decent player now with power skating training and pushing himself no thanks to us dicking him from forward to d and back again

This. Boyle is useful, solid bottom six NHL-player. Not a great pick, but definitely not a bust like Colten Teubert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad