Player Discussion Ryan Kesler

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
the only contract that is definitely worse right now is the Lucic contract. There’s an argument Kesler has the 2nd worst contract in the game
Kesler as a 5th line quality center is definitely 2nd worst but if he ends up on LTIRetired then he becomes tradable to a team thats going to be having cap floor problems soon (Ottawa).

In a few years Vlasic will be a massively overpaid 4th pairing D-man. I've seen Sharks fans refer to him as a 3rd pairing quality D-man already. If Karlsson is smart he doesn't re-sign with the Sharks & signs with a team with a larger window, I think if he signed with the Lightning he'd be guarenteed several Cups with them at least. I also think Karlsson should consider the Sabres, Oilers, Leafs, Avalanche.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Wasn’t it just a few weeks ago that Carlyle said he has to stop deploying Kesler the same way? I know he’s been dominant in the face offs recently, but he’s playing over 18 minutes a night. There’s no justification for him playing more than Henrique.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Wasn’t it just a few weeks ago that Carlyle said he has to stop deploying Kesler the same way? I know he’s been dominant in the face offs recently, but he’s playing over 18 minutes a night. There’s no justification for him playing more than Henrique.
Carlyle saying one thing and then doing the opposite? Color me shocked.

MoMM

Apr 23, 2016
Brazil
Price's is easily worse too. 10.5m for another 8 years for barely .900 goaltending is a big yikes.

There's a lot of terrible contracts in the NHL right now.
Same in the NBA, probably even worse because there the salaries are higher.

Even in NFL it happens and there most of the contracts are not fully guaranteed.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I thought Keslee looked good in a few games before the last couple.

But these last two in particular, his skating regressed and he looked dead legged.

I’m tired of the bs. It was said a few times they would pace his ice time. He looked like he should have sat in the second of back to back games based on his skating

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

But these last two in particular, his skating regressed and he looked dead legged.

I’m tired of the bs. It was said a few times they would pace his ice time. He looked like he should have sat in the second of back to back games based on his skating
Maybe they think playing him that much per game will tire him out & make him want to retire on LTIRetire. I see no other reason for him to play 18 minutes in a game.

Reactions: AngelDuck

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
It seems on many teams boards there’s a veteran that fans feel the coaches are just fixated on and overuse that player.

We had Bieksa, maybe Randy’s new fix is Kesler?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It seems on many teams boards there’s a veteran that fans feel the coaches are just fixated on and overuse that player.

We had Bieksa, maybe Randy’s new fix is Kesler?
At least kesler isn't a defensemen lol

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Yep, that’s the main thing. We heard before the season about how Bob had a “heart to heart” with Kesler, and they agreed he probably would be playing less, and how they would give him time when he wasn’t 100 percent. So much for that.

I’m not sure whose call this is, Bob or Randy, but two guys who have been around as long as they have, have to be able to see Kes is struggling out there. Or maybe he’s not, and this is the new normal. Then so be it, but his role has to be adjusted accordingly if that’s the case.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Maybe this is all some sort of master plan? Play the hell out of deadlegged Kesler and accelerate his retirement?

I mean... he's barely been NHL quality this season, and yet his usage is still ridiculous. Bieksa was one thing, but he did have his ice time dropped once he went from bad to worse. Kesler's still playing in all situations, and he shouldn't be at all.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If they have a plan to try to convince him to LTIretire...fine, I can live with that. That would be huge for the next 3 years and at least it would be some sort of thought process. As crazy as it sounds, it’s probably not the worst idea to try to really show him how out of place he has become

I’ll believe it when I see it though. This year was supposed to be his big comeback year. We read articles stating he had newfound mobility in his hip that he didn’t have last year and he was able to train better. Maybe true, but it hasn’t translated to the ice. I just hope we don’t get another round of that next season with the same results occurring.

I really think this situation is either coming down to him LTIRetiring at the end of the season or the Ducks buying him out. I’m just not sure you can have $7 million cap hit of liability for 3 more seasons if you want to win in any of those years

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Maybe this is all some sort of master plan? Play the hell out of deadlegged Kesler and accelerate his retirement?

I mean... he's barely been NHL quality this season, and yet his usage is still ridiculous. Bieksa was one thing, but he did have his ice time dropped once he went from bad to worse. Kesler's still playing in all situations, and he shouldn't be at all.

I hope so cause that would be a logical reason for them to play him like they have so far this year, if it becomes too much he might cave & accept LTIRetirement.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If they have a plan to try to convince him to LTIretire...fine, I can live with that. That would be huge for the next 3 years and at least it would be some sort of thought process. As crazy as it sounds, it’s probably not the worst idea to try to really show him how out of place he has become

I’ll believe it when I see it though. This year was supposed to be his big comeback year. We read articles stating he had newfound mobility in his hip that he didn’t have last year and he was able to train better. Maybe true, but it hasn’t translated to the ice. I just hope we don’t get another round of that next season with the same results occurring.

I really think this situation is either coming down to him LTIRetiring at the end of the season or the Ducks buying him out. I’m just not sure you can have $7 million cap hit of liability for 3 more seasons if you want to win in any of those years

I also bet Silfverbergs agent wishes Kesler would retire so that Rowney or Steel centers his line & his production can improve to increase his value in his next contract.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I found Ryan Kesler's look alike:
1200px-Aaron_Abrams_SDCC_2014.jpg

Aaron Abrams play's an annoying pest like character in Blindspot on NBC. Every time he appears on the show during its 4 seasons he's always agitating the other characters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad