Player Discussion Ryan Kesler

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Kesler is still trying to come back. Was just listening to a live interview with him on Sportsnet and he is still training to make a comeback, but obviously placed a lot of conditions on it.

He admitted that he hadnt picked up a stick once since his last game and hasn't skated, but coming back is a goal.

Would be pretty insane, but if anyone could do it he could.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Kesler is still trying to come back. Was just listening to a live interview with him on Sportsnet and he is still training to make a comeback, but obviously placed a lot of conditions on it.

He admitted that he hadnt picked up a stick once since his last game and hasn't skated, but coming back is a goal.

Would be pretty insane, but if anyone could do it he could.

I've got to believe that his is 99% related to collecting his contract money. If he's "not trying to come back" then that opens up the argument that he's retired, not rehabbing, etc. In a perfect world, I'm sure he'd like to play. But he has to know that's not going to happen.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I've got to believe that his is 99% related to collecting his contract money. If he's "not trying to come back" then that opens up the argument that he's retired, not rehabbing, etc. In a perfect world, I'm sure he'd like to play. But he has to know that's not going to happen.

He doesn't need to make a statement to the media in order to continue getting paid the money he's owed in his contract. I very highly doubt the Ducks would ever call him out on not rehabbing and attempt any sort of legal battle to void his contract. Quite frankly, the team benefits a lot from him being on LTIR, there's absolutely no reason to try and bully him into training to comeback.

I read this and all it says to me is that ultra competitive Kesler will never let go until he 100% cannot go on.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
He doesn't need to make a statement to the media in order to continue getting paid the money he's owed in his contract. I very highly doubt the Ducks would ever call him out on not rehabbing and attempt any sort of legal battle to void his contract. Quite frankly, the team benefits a lot from him being on LTIR, there's absolutely no reason to try and bully him into training to comeback.

I read this and all it says to me is that ultra competitive Kesler will never let go until he 100% cannot go on.

He doesn't need to make a statement to the media. But the one thing he shouldn't do, as explained below, is say he's making no attempt to recover from his injury.

And just to be clear, I never said the ducks would or should call him out, try to void his contract, or try to encourage him to come back.

His contract is insured anyway, 80% I believe. The organization wouldn't take his money away.

I assume you're at least a little familiar with insurance contracts and companies? In your experience, or based on what you know, do insurance companies just pay millions of dollars without reviewing the policy provisions and/or law? Are there often times requirements in insurance policies that must be met for the insured to make a claim? Do insurance companies often look for ways/excuses not to pay?

The law (and very likely the insurance contract) requires the insured to mitigate damages. I suspect - but don't know, so I'm making an educated guess - that Kesler's insurance contract has requirements - otherwise injured players might just sit back and collect when they could recover - perhaps with their team's encouragement (Robidas Island). There is potentially a legal distinction between being disabled and injured. One thing I know is there are LOTS of technicalities and the insurance company won't ignore them.

I also know that it is unwise for an insured worker to say - "I'm not trying to recover from my injury." Which is why Kesler - if he's smart and I'm sure he's been told - will never say something like that.

And while the ducks should be happy to pay Kesler, if the insurance coverage disappears, that analysis changes and a buyout becomes a real possiblity. Which, again, is why Kesler will be careful about what he says.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He doesn't need to make a statement to the media. But the one thing he shouldn't do, as explained below, is say he's making no attempt to recover from his injury.

And just to be clear, I never said the ducks would or should call him out, try to void his contract, or try to encourage him to come back.

I assume you're at least a little familiar with insurance contracts and companies? In your experience, or based on what you know, do insurance companies just pay millions of dollars without reviewing the policy provisions and/or law? Are there often times requirements in insurance policies that must be met for the insured to make a claim? Do insurance companies often look for ways/excuses not to pay?

The law (and very likely the insurance contract) requires the insured to mitigate damages. I suspect - but don't know, so I'm making an educated guess - that Kesler's insurance contract has requirements - otherwise injured players might just sit back and collect when they could recover - perhaps with their team's encouragement (Robidas Island). There is potentially a legal distinction between being disabled and injured. One thing I know is there are LOTS of technicalities and the insurance company won't ignore them.

I also know that it is unwise for an insured worker to say - "I'm not trying to recover from my injury." Which is why Kesler - if he's smart and I'm sure he's been told - will never say something like that.

And while the ducks should be happy to pay Kesler, if the insurance coverage disappears, that analysis changes and a buyout becomes a real possiblity. Which, again, is why Kesler will be careful about what he says.
There is literally one case of a player coming back from the surgery that kesler had, and that player was only able to play a handful of games. It's safe to say that the medicine and precedent are on kesler's side.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I hope it works out for Kesler, guy's an absolute warrior. Not like it will negatively effect us if he somehow comes back, we'll be a bad team past the end of his contract anyway.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Link to the documentary here.

At this point, one can only hope that Kesler will one day be able to live a normal life... :help:

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego

New documentary coming out on the effects of pain killers on hockey players. Kesler is featured prominently.

Heartbreaking stuff from Kesler in that documentary.

Aside from Kesler, the documentary also features a former Gulls strength and conditioning coach who was fired by Anaheim, allegedly for prescribing CBD, and Bobby Ryan also makes a few appearances (the former S&C coach is now Bobby's personal trainer).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad