Value of: Ryan Kesler to any team

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
He also said that because of the nature of his hip injury..he basically had to re-learn how to skate.

At 33 years old...that's a red flag.

I mean, sure, any surgery is going to be a red flag, especially if its one that could make him miss half the season (should have been the whole season).

I'd rather judge him after giving him a chance to get healthy. He gets a total pass on his performance this year from me.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
He has negative value ATM so no point in trading him. Give him a season or two to see if he can rebound. If yes, he will be an ok player for the Ducks; capable of playing #2 or #3 C (can insulate rookie players) or 1st line W if you they need to go top heavy in the final minutes of a one-goal game. If not, buyout would be the best option because Ducks would have to retain at least 2M of salary in order to make him even remotely appealing in a trade.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I think Kesler has some fight left in his,

Sometimes for an older player, a season or two with few games played is just what the Dr. Ordered, especially a nasty player like Kesler,

I'd honestly tell him to dog it in the regular season if I were with the Ducks, play him on the 3rd and fourth line, 10 min a game or less

Then, playoffs come around, UNLEASH THE BEAST

I have to wonder if teams sometimes fake injuries for players they don't WANT to play 82 games in a season, young guys need to play and carry the whole thing, but for some of the vets, if you don't need them to MAKE the playoffs....I wouldn't want them on the ice

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
He's a similar player to Koivu, albeit with a very bad year last year. Similar age, position, type of player.

Koivu just re-signed for two more years at 5.5M. Those extra two years for Kesler at 6.875M make him very unappealing to any team, especially in light of his health. Can't see anyone giving up anything of value, and even if a lot is retained I still don't see much going the other way unless a pretty serious cap dump is included.

Ryan Kesler is arguably the nastiest/dirtiest player in the NHL, he reminds me of Vladamir Konstantinov, constantly chipping away at the opposition with slashes, spears, dives, and cross-cheks to the ribs, all of which are meant to injure not just irritate like most players today, when he stops in a crowd, he'll slew foot, someone, and land on them, he's RELENTLESS with that stuff, it NEVER STOPS, watch him during the playoffs, any playoffs, he constantly slashes at ankles and wrists, he's one of the few guys left in the game who goes out on the ice with intent to injure.

That's really not how I remember Koivu

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Ryan Kesler is arguably the nastiest/dirtiest player in the NHL, he reminds me of Vladamir Konstantinov, constantly chipping away at the opposition with slashes, spears, dives, and cross-cheks to the ribs, all of which are meant to injure not just irritate like most players today, when he stops in a crowd, he'll slew foot, someone, and land on them, he's RELENTLESS with that stuff, it NEVER STOPS, watch him during the playoffs, any playoffs, he constantly slashes at ankles and wrists, he's one of the few guys left in the game who goes out on the ice with intent to injure.

Jesus, what a ridiculous post that is so far from reality it’s frightening. Kes is a pest, he’s not out trying to injure people.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
And I said they'd need to add more than that

Its too bad his contract is ridiculous because this is a guy 30 teams should be drooling to add

When healthy hes been a beast for the past decade

But... when not healthy... or perhaps under motivated? Or whatever... he has sometimes no showed

At his advancing age and with that contract.. i couldnt even support taking him on waivers... let alone giving up value

It would have to be a contract for contract trade.

Best bet is keep him... hope hes healthy... let him regain his value

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Agree that he is much nastier than Koivu.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Bobby Ryan for Kesler?

Ottawa gets a much needed second line center with shutdown capabilities.

Maybe the RPG line reuniting in Anaheim can rejuvenate Ryan and Perry for a year or two.

I think Kesler can bounce back with a full off-season to train. Had to be tough last year to make up for all the time he missed.

member 290103

Kesler has no NTC then? He must not by way of all the proposals here.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He’s done imo. His style of play has caught up with him. He’s always played a tough brand of hockey and I think he’s still a good 3rd line Center but his best days are behind him and that contract is really bad.
He had ONE bad season after a major hip surgery. He was a Selke finalist the year prior.

I know his contract is not the greatest in the world but can you just at least wait for him to come back after a healing summer? Jeez

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He had ONE bad season after a major hip surgery. He was a Selke finalist the year prior.

I know his contract is not the greatest in the world but can you just at least wait for him to come back after a healing summer? Jeez
I think he'll be much better this year, but still no where near as good as he was. He'll go from elite to good. I see both sides of his game being hampered by the surgery as I believe it will slow him down. But, I don't think he'll be bad, I suspect he'll get 30-35 points and go from elite to good defensively.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think he'll be much better this year, but still no where near as good as he was. He'll go from elite to good. I see both sides of his game being hampered by the surgery as I believe it will slow him down. But, I don't think he'll be bad, I suspect he'll get 30-35 points and go from elite to good defensively.
Exactly. I would be more optimistic and think he will be around 40p though. Those injuries take 2 years to heal fully though. Obviously age is coming up to him but we are talking about Selke finalist before his last injury. People that are saying he`s done has no clue what they are talking about.
Surely he won`t be as good as he was but he`s not done

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Exactly. I would be more optimistic and think he will be around 40p though. Those injuries take 2 years to heal fully though. Obviously age is coming up to him but we are talking about Selke finalist before his last injury. People that are saying he`s done has no clue what they are talking about.
Surely he won`t be as good as he was but he`s not done
Oh for sure. That said, due to his NMC as previously stated, I wouldn't risk acquiring him.

Reactions: Kalv

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Unless GM Murray is adding another significant center, there's really no sense in moving Kes right now.

Reactions: Kalv

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The best thing the Ducks can hope for is he goes LTIR in a year or two.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
6 apples in 44 games. damn that's brutal. wonder if he's already fallen off the cliff or if he can get back to what hes done the last 2-3 year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
6 apples in 44 games. damn that's brutal. wonder if he's already fallen off the cliff or if he can get back to what hes done the last 2-3 year.
He def wasn't in game shape last year... and probably shouldn't have been playing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad