Value of: Ryan Kesler to any team

TSN Jdog

Apr 25, 2016
Starting to hate the Leafs
Kesler_Extension.jpg

Quick hits:

• $6,875,000 until 2022 (NMC/NTC)
  • Starting 2021-22, player submits list of 8 teams he would not allow a trade to.
  • 14 points in 44 games last season
  • Came off of surgery mid season
  • 6'1.5 200lbs
  • Veteran leader
  • Good shut down forward

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
He’s done imo. His style of play has caught up with him. He’s always played a tough brand of hockey and I think he’s still a good 3rd line Center but his best days are behind him and that contract is really bad.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Retained to $4.5 million and you may get some interest. Injury riddled year with 8 goals, 14pts in 44 games.

ANA would be selling low but also eating $$ to regain some value.

At $4.5 million, I could see teams like CBJ, STL, TOR, CAR and possibly MON being interested.

Still think he is a 40-50pt player for next two years if healthy.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If he was cheap I take him on Columbus but the retention and swap would have to be right. He played college here and it's close to his home in Michigan. I could see it working out well.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hypothetically if the Islanders don't sign Tavares I might give a 2nd rounder for him(no retention)

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I don't see the point of this thread... Ducks aren't trading Kesler unless they're blowing it up.

Everyone knew the last years of that contract were going to be bad, but this is a severe over-reaction after a bad year. The part of the year he didn't miss due to the surgery he wasn't even practicing to try to rest it. IMO they should have pulled the plug and just let him recover as it was plain he was laboring badly out there, but that's Randy. he's got his workhorses and he rides them until they drop.

Regardless, everyone that's had that surgery takes a full year to recover completely. I mean weren't we having this exact conversation about Giroux last year?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Does he have more value than Lucic? Both are coming off disastrous season's - Kesler's got a higher AAV but Lucic has an additional year. I can't imagine the Ducks and Oilers would be eager to trade with one another and Kesler would have to waive which may be a bit farfetched (I'd assume Lucic would consider going back to anonymity in California and waive his).

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
I don't see the point of this thread... Ducks aren't trading Kesler unless they're blowing it up.

Everyone knew the last years of that contract were going to be bad, but this is a severe over-reaction after a bad year. The part of the year he didn't miss due to the surgery he wasn't even practicing to try to rest it. IMO they should have pulled the plug and just let him recover as it was plain he was laboring badly out there, but that's Randy. he's got his workhorses and he rides them until they drop.

Regardless, everyone that's had that surgery takes a full year to recover completely. I mean weren't we having this exact conversation about Giroux last year?

qft.

He's coming off of a surgery and was unable to practice, and should have been shut down for the whole season. Last year was not due to lack of effort or ability, it was medical.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He has a NMC for the next two seasons, and a very restrictive trade list after that. Why does he waive it to go else where?

He'll be a buyout candidate eventually. Luckily for ANA, unlike a lot of other teams, they did not get stupid with his contract by structuring it entirely in signing bonuses. An eventual buyout costs them just over 2M per season.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd be interested in getting him to Calgary. I think he'll bounce back, and having him as the #2 center with Backlund as the #3 would be awesome. Plus, I think Tkachuk and Bennett on Keslers wings would really improve the Flames offense.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Do ducks fans actually want to rid themselves of his contract? Or is moving him overblown and they are fine keeping him?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Do ducks fans actually want to rid themselves of his contract? Or is moving him overblown and they are fine keeping him?
I think hell be fine.. it was pretty clear he sbouldnt have been playing last season. Obviously a bit of ware on him but i expect him to bounce back a bit this season. If were getting rid of any of our big 3 it should be perry

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think hell be fine.. it was pretty clear he sbouldnt have been playing last season. Obviously a bit of ware on him but i expect him to bounce back a bit this season. If were getting rid of any of our big 3 it should be perry

Thank you. Wasn't sure if steel or someone else internally made him expendable or if his contract has become a net negative for the ducks. Just trying to get the full picture before commenting on his value in a trade.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's a similar player to Koivu, albeit with a very bad year last year. Similar age, position, type of player.

Koivu just re-signed for two more years at 5.5M. Those extra two years for Kesler at 6.875M make him very unappealing to any team, especially in light of his health. Can't see anyone giving up anything of value, and even if a lot is retained I still don't see much going the other way unless a pretty serious cap dump is included.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Don't want him even if it was for free. Way overpaid and going downhill fast.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Thank you. Wasn't sure if steel or someone else internally made him expendable or if his contract has become a net negative for the ducks. Just trying to get the full picture before commenting on his value in a trade.
Not really anyone internally, kossila steel are prob the front runners... but i expect us to run with getz kesler and henrique.

He had a bad season but i dont think it should be judged because he really shouldnt have been playing... this season we will see whats left in his tank.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Barring the Ducks eating half the remainder, I don't see anyone taking that contract. I'm not sure he can get back to being that strong #2 center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad