Value of: Ryan Kesler to any team

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
In hindsight Shero kept Pouliot as a prized prospect to not trade for him. You never know how things may have worked out. He is injured and that may be something he can't overcome. Hope he does but at 33 going on 34, playing a physical game takes it's toll. Ducks have top 3 players who can go south in a hurry with Blackhawk type contractual obligations.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I think hell be fine.. it was pretty clear he sbouldnt have been playing last season. Obviously a bit of ware on him but i expect him to bounce back a bit this season. If were getting rid of any of our big 3 it should be perry

Completely agree. Kesler will bounce back. If there’s any ducks player that needs to be gone it’s Perry guy has not been himself for almost 2 seasons now. But we’ve already been down that road regarding retention and no body wants em on the trade boards.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I think we will see what he can do next season. The last one was just basically a write-off.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
qft.

He's coming off of a surgery and was unable to practice, and should have been shut down for the whole season. Last year was not due to lack of effort or ability, it was medical.
He also said that because of the nature of his hip injury..he basically had to re-learn how to skate.

At 33 years old...that's a red flag.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It's not a lot. Shaw's cap hit is 3.9, compared to Kesler's 6.8. Alzner is 4.7.
One of these players could still be a useful player - as such I'd much rather see him play next season than pick up any cap dump of mtl.
Kesler's deal isn't the best, but seriously, good luck with Alzner specifically.

Reactions: Spazkat

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It's not a lot. Shaw's cap hit is 3.9, compared to Kesler's 6.8. Alzner is 4.7.

This whole thread is ridiculous.

Ducks fans: He's fine we don't want to trade him

Everyone Else: We'll be kind enough to take him off your hands for you and give you this random pile of crap.

Ducks fans: Its ok we're good

Everyone Else: NOOOO...... He's bad now and you have to trade him!

*sigh*

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
One of these players could still be a useful player - as such I'd much rather see him play next season than pick up any cap dump of mtl.
Kesler's deal isn't the best, but seriously, good luck with Alzner specifically.

All 3 could be useful players. Kesler might be going downhill. Guy gets hurt fairly frequently and he never was a high-end skill guy. Then again, could have been a down year and he'll remain healthy and put up close to 50 points.

Shaw still did well, but with him potentially being damaged goods, that's a huge red flag, but would be on the LTIR, so you still get the cap space.

Alzner didn't look the best, but not a lot did. If they team performs better, I'd bet Alzner looks better. Won't ever be worth his contract as it's about points these days.

Or all 3 could be terrible.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
All 3 could be useful players. Kesler might be going downhill. Guy gets hurt fairly frequently and he never was a high-end skill guy. Then again, could have been a down year and he'll remain healthy and put up close to 50 points.

Shaw still did well, but with him potentially being damaged goods, that's a huge red flag, but would be on the LTIR, so you still get the cap space.

Alzner didn't look the best, but not a lot did. If they team performs better, I'd bet Alzner looks better. Won't ever be worth his contract as it's about points these days.

Or all 3 could be terrible.
The bolded isn't actually true. He has only missed significant time in 3 times in his entire career, and 1 was a lockout shortened year to boot. Even with those injuries He averages around 70 games a year. Kesler hasn't missed more than 5 games in 10 of his 13 full NHL seasons.

member 290103

Canucks would take him with retention of 5 million per year in exchange for Loui Ericksson with no retention.

member 290103

He also said that because of the nature of his hip injury..he basically had to re-learn how to skate.

At 33 years old...that's a red flag.

In fairness Canuck fans said the same thing about him years ago. Every year I heard the same thing...."shell of his former self...." "too many miles on his body...." Thing is, this guy is a warrior. I expect that next year he returns to dominate again. He's a low character guy, but there is no doubting his talent and will on the ice.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I will just say, Giroux and Ghost had similar surgery in the summer 2 years ago, and it was almost a full year before they started to look normal. Then both had great bounce back seasons. Hopefully Kesler will too.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This whole thread is ridiculous.

Ducks fans: He's fine we don't want to trade him

Everyone Else: We'll be kind enough to take him off your hands for you and give you this random pile of crap.

Ducks fans: Its ok we're good

Everyone Else: NOOOO...... He's bad now and you have to trade him!

*sigh*
Or like some have said we don't want to go near that contract.The Ducks are stuck with him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s done imo. His style of play has caught up with him. He’s always played a tough brand of hockey and I think he’s still a good 3rd line Center but his best days are behind him and that contract is really bad.

He’s a year removed from almost hitting 60 points and getting a Selke nomination. His numbers last year were brutal because he shouldn’t have been playing.

He’s probably done as someone to expect 55-60 points out of but he’s not going to be near as bad as he was last season next year.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
He’s a year removed from almost hitting 60 points and getting a Selke nomination. His numbers last year were brutal because he shouldn’t have been playing.

He’s probably done as someone to expect 55-60 points out of but he’s not going to be near as bad as he was last season next year.
Maybe but I just find it a trend where all these players who play a tough game that it can catch up to them quickly.

Kessler has a lot of mileage, I still think he’s an NHL player but maybe better suited for the 3rd line.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Or like some have said we don't want to go near that contract.The Ducks are stuck with him.

We have no issue keeping em. Center is the one of the last issues we have on the ducks. Anaheim has absolutely no reason to shop em for cap dumps and retention’s. As soon as the ducks fans jump in and give the thread an idea of needs. These are the responses? Wow

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Carolina might take a stab at him for Rask+. They’re in similar situations and term, but Rask is younger and cheaper. Don’t know what the add would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad