News Article: Ryan Kesler and the Philadelphia Flyers

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Wow Josh Rimer on the buzzcast he is on with Eklund said that Kesler wants to come to Philly. We are his number 1 choice to play for.

Eklund saying we are going to try to make a trade for a defenseman as well, which isn't anything earth shattering lol.

they are like farts in the wind. :)

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I would give up Schenn for him and I understand he has been pretty average but the guy can still play and you put him with Giroux/Voracek that line would put up some great numbers. Hartnell just was too slow in the playoffs to keep up with those two and Schenn doesn't have the puck possession ability to keep that line going.

The reason people want him with giroux or voracek is because he's not a possession player, so he needs so play with someone who is, if he isn't relied on for possession I wouldn't be surprised to see his points go up

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You can't believe everything, but let's just assume we do believe everything. What must have changed between now, being "Kesler's #1 choice" and the trade deadline where he was rumored to have been unwilling to waive his no-move to come here.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
You can't believe everything, but let's just assume we do believe everything. What must have changed between now, being "Kesler's #1 choice" and the trade deadline where he was rumored to have been unwilling to waive his no-move to come here.

I remember most of the insiders were scrambling trying to figure out who was on the 6 team list and there was never a conclusive list that ever came out. I looked back at Friedmans 30 thoughts article and they never really mentioned a list conclusively. He attempted to guess the one time but did mention the Flyers as a possibility though.

There also was the rumor we offer Vinny + 1st rounder which was declined(Of course) but one would think they wouldnt make a legitimate offer for a player who wouldn't come here. Bobby Mckenzie also said we offered Schenn+1st but said that was speculation on his part.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If the cap hit is going to be $69.6M I don't see how we can really facilitate a move for Kesler unless some deadweight is moved.

Under that number we would have a little over $5M to play with as is & still have needs for a backup & possibly another defensmen if it's not done internally. I mean it can be done but it's going to take a lot of wiggling to so.

Basically what I am saying I think the only way we can seriously make this work is if Vinny is moved out which could possibly be hard to do for all I know.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's no chance this trade happens, we don't need Kesler... it's that simple. Of course people read some articles written by idiots who don't do any research so now we have to see speculation that the Flyers are interested until he actually gets traded.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If the cap hit is going to be $69.6M I don't see how we can really facilitate a move for Kesler unless some deadweight is moved.

Under that number we would have a little over $5M to play with as is & still have needs for a backup & possibly another defensmen if it's not done internally. I mean it can be done but it's going to take a lot of wiggling to so.

This is also why I mentioned we might have to include someone like Grossmann in a deal. He would help stabilize a defense that just lost their shut down guy(ALberts) to retirement and are lack a depth guy on defense.

I said the most I might offer would be Laughton+Grossmann+2nd rounder. I still have trouble doing that though because he just isn't a need.

It would be funny though if they work a deal for him and he rejects the team. Sorta like the Iggy situation in Calgary.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I remember most of the insiders were scrambling trying to figure out who was on the 6 team list and there was never a conclusive list that ever came out. I looked back at Friedmans 30 thoughts article and they never really mentioned a list conclusively. He attempted to guess the one time but did mention the Flyers as a possibility though.

There also was the rumor we offer Vinny + 1st rounder which was declined(Of course) but one would think they wouldnt make a legitimate offer for a player who wouldn't come here. Bobby Mckenzie also said we offered Schenn+1st but said that was speculation on his part.

I think Kesler was always going to have to wait for the summer, unless someone offered an insane deal. Anaheim was rumored to not only be interested, but have a deal done with Kesler willing to move, but after Mike Gillis had one of the all-time all-time managerial botches with Luongo and Schneider, Canucks ownership shut everything down because they were going to fire him. The Ducks were said to be completely mystified with what happened, because they opened up the spot when they moved Dustin Penner.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think Kesler was always going to have to wait for the summer, unless someone offered an insane deal. Anaheim was rumored to not only be interested, but have a deal done with Kesler willing to move, but after Mike Gillis had one of the all-time all-time managerial botches with Luongo and Schneider, Canucks ownership shut everything down because they were going to fire him. The Ducks were said to be completely mystified with what happened, because they opened up the spot when they moved Dustin Penner.

Yea thats true, do you remember what the offer was? There was also rumors they moved Penner out for Vanek too I thought?

I know Murray said he would not offer that package again though, so they might have missed out on their best package in this whole saga. Gillis is going to haunt them for the next 5 years.

EDIT: Found this
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ducks-604471-murray-kesler.html
The Canucks ultimately opted to hang on to Kesler – perhaps to wait until the June draft to deal him – and the Ducks' dream of having him create a 1-2 punch with Ryan Getzlaf in the middle soon evaporated.
Murray said he “put into play” any of the six picks he has in the first two rounds for the next two drafts. Four of those are this year, with the Ducks having two selections in the first round as prime trading chips.
Some of the Ducks’ top young forward prospects – presumably Emerson Etem and Rickard Rakell among them – were on the table. Vancouver wanted a roster player to replace Kesler and Murray wasn’t going there.
“Failed to get anything done,” Murray said. “But in saying that, I wasn’t going to and did not offer any player off this roster. I strongly believe, and I can’t say it enough, that this team is good enough.

So if the rumors are to be believed:

Anaheim offered(most probable):

10th overall
Rakell
Etem

Flyers offered(never confirmed)

Schenn
17th overall

Pitt offered:

Sutter
Dumolin
22nd overall

Out of those deals, the Flyers(I know I know) is definitely the best. The 10th and Rakell are the most valuable in the Anaheim offer but I think Schenn holds more upside than both. Pittsburgh is laughable. They basically were trying to steal Kesler.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Elliot Friedman on Team1040 RE Kesler:
I do think someone is going to step up and make a deal

Everyone in the Western Conference is looking for a center

I think the Canucks should ask for a lot because he's the best center on the market

The week after the draft is going to be crazy, I really believe that

A few have mentioned to me it's the worst free agency they've ever seen.

I don't think they will trade him unless they get something that helps them now and in the future.
From Trade Board.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The latest offer on the trade board. Not sure if it was a Canucks fan that offered it:

Kesler + Garrison

For

Laughton, LeCavalier + 17 + 2015 2nd

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
The latest offer on the trade board. Not sure if it was a Canucks fan that offered it:

Kesler + Garrison

For

Laughton, LeCavalier + 17 + 2015 2nd

Make it beiska or hamhuis and I'll think about it. Garrison is terrible. Do not want him anywhere near this team

I'd seriously consider it if it was Hamhuis coming back our way. No thanks to Garrison or Bieksa. Hamhuis and Coburn would make a solid top pairing. Plus we get to keep our defensive prospects as well. Grossmann would have to be moved as well.

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Akeson - Kesler - Simmonds
Hartnell - Couturier - Read
Raffl - XXXXXXX - XXXXXX

Hamhuis - Coburn
MacDonald - Streit
Schenn - Ghost/Alt/Kimmo

That's not too bad at all. If Hextall was really feeling bold he could package the Schenns for something as well.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yea thats true, do you remember what the offer was? There was also rumors they moved Penner out for Vanek too I thought?

I know Murray said he would not offer that package again though, so they might have missed out on their best package in this whole saga. Gillis is going to haunt them for the next 5 years.

EDIT: Found this
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ducks-604471-murray-kesler.html

So if the rumors are to be believed:

Anaheim offered(most probable):

10th overall
Rakell
Etem

Flyers offered(never confirmed)

Schenn
17th overall

Pitt offered:

Sutter
Dumolin
22nd overall

Out of those deals, the Flyers(I know I know) is definitely the best. The 10th and Rakell are the most valuable in the Anaheim offer but I think Schenn holds more upside than both. Pittsburgh is laughable. They basically were trying to steal Kesler.

I don't remember seeing any rumors spelled out with regard to the Ducks, or anyone for that matter. I don't remember them being talked about with anyone else. Everyone was waiting that day for Vanek and Kesler to do something.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I would trade Vinny for Kessler straight up. Former #1 pick for former Selke Winner. Only thing is Vancouver may need to add since Kessler is only signed for 2 more years while Vinny is signed for 4 more years.

CoutseysCorner92

Jul 19, 2010
If we are trading for Kesler, is it unrealistic to ask for Kesler + 5th overall for B. Schenn + L. Schenn + 17th overall

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Seriously? That is awful for the Canucks.

It is more fair than trading Schenn + 1st for Kessler.

Consider the similarities. In both trade proposals you are trading an older player for a younger player with similar scoring stats. In both proposals the older declining player with a worse contract is being valued more than a younger improving player with a better contract. Only difference is the Vancouver proposals are also asking that we include a first.

Bottom line: Lecavlier for Kessler is in fact a more trade than Schenn + 1st for Kessler. Schenn for Kessler straight up is not even fair.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ron Hextall: "Hi Jim Benning, we like Kesler, we'll give you a guy who is being paid handsomely by not one but two teams, and our coach was finding reasons to play Zac Rinaldo ahead of him in the playoffs."

Jim Benning: "..."

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I would trade Vinny for Kessler straight up. Former #1 pick for former Selke Winner. Only thing is Vancouver may need to add since Kessler is only signed for 2 more years while Vinny is signed for 4 more years.

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3