News Article: Ryan Kesler and the Philadelphia Flyers

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Sedin only had 47 points...is Couts as good as him offensively too?

Gimme a break. This season was a disaster all around for Vancouver.

Watch the two players play. Kesler is better offensively than Couts. Its VERY clear.

....but I wont try and convince anyone here because I know its pointless to go against 14 in any argument on this board.

Is it really that hard to believe that a soon-to-be 30 year old Kesler and 34 year old Sedin twins are on the decline?

Even if I concede that Kesler is better offensively right now (which I don't), he will only be better for another one or maybe two years before he is firmly entrenched in the downward spiral known as age.

He only put up 49 points (28 at even strength) in 2011-12 on a President's Trophy winning team. Couturier's putting up better even strength numbers already. So the "Vancouver sucked this year" excuse is hardly a good one.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Even Tim P. knows more what he is talking about than the Canuck's fans and Tim P. is a (starts with an M and ends in oran).

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Watch the two players play. Kesler is better offensively than Couts. Its VERY clear.

....but I wont try and convince anyone here because I know its pointless to go against 14 in any argument on this board.

Not if you had facts to back up your claim, which you don't.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It's pointless when you don't have a single metric to back up your arguments.

The Sedins are aging. Like Kesler soon will be. Kesler hasn't been a great offensive player in 3 seasons. He's not leaps and bounds ahead of Couturier, if he's ahead of him at all anymore. Couturier is still on the rise.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
He's a Moran?

Like this guy...:sarcasm:

get-a-brain-morans-300x198.jpg

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
People are really under estimating Kesler on these boards and some people under estimating him don't even spell his name correctly so I don't know how much they have actually watched him play. Right now we have a void at 1LW, 2C (if Schenn/Vinny don't step up consistently), and a 1st pairing D. Kesler has the ability to play on the top line with Giroux/Voracek and he has the ability to take advantage of weak competition while playing on the second line. Couts shouldn't even be in the discussion to trade though because he is a player you build around to match up against the top lines in the league.

I would be happy to see Kesler/Giroux/Voracek and Hartnell/Couts/Read as two lines this season.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
People are really under estimating Kesler on these boards and some people under estimating him don't even spell his name correctly so I don't know how much they have actually watched him play. Right now we have a void at 1LW, 2C (if Schenn/Vinny don't step up consistently), and a 1st pairing D. Kesler has the ability to play on the top line with Giroux/Voracek and he has the ability to take advantage of weak competition while playing on the second line. Couts shouldn't even be in the discussion to trade though because he is a player you build around to match up against the top lines in the league.

I would be happy to see Kesler/Giroux/Voracek and Hartnell/Couts/Read as two lines this season.
Well he has had pretty average 2-3 season. Its a cause for worry since he is leaving his prime. Who do you expect to trade for him? Would you really give up B. Schenn for him?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

No one is saying Kelser is garbage. But he is on the downside of his career. His best years are behind him. His age does not fit with the rest of our core and where we are as a team

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I don't see any void at 2C. If anything, I see a void at 3C. If we had just one other center who could take some of that D zone load, Couturier's quite easily putting up second line numbers offensively.

I also really think the 1LW need is overblown. Just give Schenn the spot. It's the only place he fits moving forward anyway. I don't know why everyone wants to put a star player on Giroux's wing. How many lines in the NHL have three bona fide stars on them? I don't see why we need to go that route here.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Are you trying to say a Kesler for Couts trade is a good idea for the Flyers? What is your point? :dunno:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I don't see any void at 2C. If anything, I see a void at 3C. If we had just one other center who could take some of that D zone load, Couturier's quite easily putting up second line numbers offensively.

I also really think the 1LW need is overblown. Just give Schenn the spot. It's the only place he fits moving forward anyway. I don't know why everyone wants to put a star player on Giroux's wing. How many lines in the NHL have three bona fide stars on them? I don't see why we need to go that route here.

Well Laughton might be that guy. Time will tell of course but he will no doubt get first crack at it.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Laughton. This is exactly what he projects to do.

Agreed.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

It has nothing to do with that. Kesler had two great seasons going on 4/5 years ago. In reality he's a 49 pt C (his career avg). Nothing to sneeze at but when going on 30 and considering his decline it's not a stretch to suggest Couts is as good as Kesler is offensively.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Well he has had pretty average 2-3 season. Its a cause for worry since he is leaving his prime. Who do you expect to trade for him? Would you really give up B. Schenn for him?

I would give up Schenn for him and I understand he has been pretty average but the guy can still play and you put him with Giroux/Voracek that line would put up some great numbers. Hartnell just was too slow in the playoffs to keep up with those two and Schenn doesn't have the puck possession ability to keep that line going.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA

I am hoping for Couturier's offensive numbers to go up too, but he is just that much better out there for the Flyers against the other teams top lines that I don't see the Flyers changing their strategy with him anytime soon. If you give him Hartnell at left wing though then I bet him and Read will put up more points even against the Crosby's/Malkin's of the NHL.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Wow Josh Rimer on the buzzcast he is on with Eklund said that Kesler wants to come to Philly. We are his number 1 choice to play for.

Eklund saying we are going to try to make a trade for a defenseman as well, which isn't anything earth shattering lol.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Wow Josh Rimer on the buzzcast he is on with Eklund said that Kesler wants to come to Philly. We are his number 1 choice to play for.

Eklund saying we are going to try to make a trade for a defenseman as well, which isn't anything earth shattering lol.

I would give up all of almost nothing for Kesler...

However, if Vancouver would like Lecavalier + 3rd? Sure.

Can Kesler play wing though?

Pretty sure Hex came out and alluded to the fact that we sit uncomfortable in our lineup because guys are out of position. Acquiring another center is stupid...as everyone here knows.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I would give up all of almost nothing for Kesler...

However, if Vancouver would like Lecavalier + 3rd? Sure.

Can Kesler play wing though?

I think he plays a lot more right wing than left wing. I don't really remember him playing left wing actually. If we got him, I think he would need to play center with Schenn playing first line wing.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think he plays a lot more right wing than left wing. I don't really remember him playing left wing actually. If we got him, I think he would need to play center with Schenn playing first line wing.

It would be pretty sweet to roll...

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Akeson - Couturier - Read
Hartnell - Kesler - Simmonds
Hall - Laughton - Raffl
Rinaldo

I can definitely get behind that lineup.

However...it requires that things to go our way completely.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
i dont think the #1 lw need is over blown, hartnell is clearly dragging down that line, we need someone to take that spot hartnell is a #2 lw at best nothing more

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It would be pretty sweet to roll...

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Akeson - Couturier - Read
Hartnell - Kesler - Simmonds
Hall - Laughton - Raffl
Rinaldo

I can definitely get behind that lineup.

However...it requires that things to go our way completely.

If he is making a big push to play for us, I would try to buy low on him. Hexy doesn't seem to be a guy that would over pay for a guy that doesn't have a desire to play in a lot of other places.

I will stand by my stance, Schenn+Couts are off the table for him. Laughton could be a piece but I am hesitant to add him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad