News Article: Ryan Kesler and the Philadelphia Flyers

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
besides that whole "offense" thing...

It will be his fourth year removed from his 70+ point seasons and he only registered 43 points this year. I understand the whole he played with crap, had tough assignments, and other sitautions but Couts finished with 4 points less. The only difference here is COuts is still improving and developing while Kesler is on the down side of his career now. If Kesler continues his trend, Couts might out produce him this year.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
4 more points. I'll take the 21 year old on the way up over the soon to be 30 yr old on his way down with the "better" offense.

You don't need the quotes around better.

Kesler is the better offensive player.

That's ALL I am saying.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I know you hate Homer, but when has Homer ever traded a young guy for a player at the same position who would likely be worse?

I'm not saying who he would specifically trade for him but that he would probably make a pitch for the guy whereas I think Hextall will pass altogether...I hope

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think one thing we should think about when acquiring forwards is defense. If the Flyers can not improve the defense like we want them too and become better there, we should think about adding more defensive forwards as well.

Kulimen, Kesler, Ryan O'Reilly and many other help both defensively and offensively. Team defense needs to improve, not just our defenders.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
The other upside to Kesler (and again, I'm only interested to a certain price point) is that it would free Couturier up to play more balanced minutes instead of strictly PK and tough ES opponents. That burden could be shared with Kesler (and to a lesser degree Laughton) to the benefit of all 3.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

That's ALL I am saying.

Kesler had more ice time (despite playing less games) on the season and about two more PP minutes per game and only managed 4 more points. Couts had arguably the hardest minutes for a forward in the NHL so playing hard minutes isn't an excuse, neither are linemates (Read, Coburn, Downie and Grossmann were Couts 4 most common linemates compared to Higgins, Hamhuis, Bieska, Garrison).

In 160 more PP minutes and 90 more minutes in total I'm pretty sure Couts could have closed the gap if not out produced Kesler, so I'd disagree about the need and use of the quotes. That's only this year but I bet if put in similar position again we'd start to see a trend.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I'm not certain Couturier will score 70+ points in his peak years, but Kesler's development path might actually be a good parallel to what we get from Coots.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
And why the hell would we add ANOTHER center, we have 4 right now with another one banging down the door. That's not the time to trade for a center on the decline

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The other upside to Kesler (and again, I'm only interested to a certain price point) is that it would free Couturier up to play more balanced minutes instead of strictly PK and tough ES opponents. That burden could be shared with Kesler (and to a lesser degree Laughton) to the benefit of all 3.

While I absolutely agree, should this really be done at the expense of Schenn? I don't think so.

I'd rather go after a guy like Marcel Goc for the 4C spot, give Laughton the 3C, play Schenn at wing, and accomplish the same general thing while keeping all our assets.

I love Kesler, but the fit just isn't there for where our club is positioned right now.

I would consider a straight up schenn swap, contingent on removal of lecavalier, but still probably prefer not to

These are exactly my thoughts.

Also, what a horrible article.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

That's ALL I am saying.

Yeah, that's not clear in the slightest. Couturier drew harder assignments and had less PP time but was only 4 points shy of Kesler. In fact, Couturier outproduced Kesler at even strength; Kesler had 26 ES points, Couturier had 31.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am of the opinion that we should stay away. I like Kesler but here is why:

We are usually a team that is making the playoffs so are RARELY in sell mode. And over time, our older players become UFA's. And because of this, we either overpay to keep them(MacD, Kimmo) or let them go for free and get nothing for them(Carle Jagr, GOOD Leino)

The less of the above scenario we have the better. And trading Schenn/Laugton makes us take on way more salary when we need the cheaper contracts.

In 2 years, Kesler is a UFA. But so is Voracek, Raffl, Coburn, L.Schenn, Grossmann(big deal) and also Couts is a RFA.

That's a lot of core guys to worry about all in 1 year.

We are not a Kesler away from contending until we fix the defense. BUT, if Hextall did some crazy stuff like:

Trade Vinny for Lupul
Trade Voracek + Grossmann + 2nd for Josi + Wilson
Trade Schenn + Schenn +1st for Kesler + Tanev
Sign Kimmo-$4 mill
Sign Akeson $850 000
Waive Rosehill

Lupul G Simmonds-shooter, passer, net
Read Couts Kesler-best shutdown line in NHL AND can score
Hartnell Wilson Akeson-match against 3rd/4th lines
Hall Laughton Raffl-solid defensive line that can play.
Rinaldo

Josi Coburn-a real 1st pairing
Kimmo Tanev-solid 2nd unit
MacDonald Kimmo-good 3rd unit
Alt

Mason
Montoya/Greiss

Plus...having Couts, Kesler and G to go up against the Pens would be a good thing!

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I can not and will not take a Voracek trade proposal seriously. I am not in favor of moving him nor am I in favor of taking him of the top line. He and Giroux work well together and they should stay together.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
An article about a Kesler trade centering around Couturier? LOL, I'm not even going to click on it. That is such *********, total garbage. I'm sure Timmy P. will pick up on this and it will be on CSN tomorrow, though.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
An article about a Kesler trade centering around Couturier? LOL, I'm not even going to click on it. That is such *********, total garbage. I'm sure Timmy P. will pick up on this and it will be on CSN tomorrow, though.

Pshh, he is already on it

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-linked-ryan-kesler-should-stay-away

The Flyers have too many centers. Even if they lost one, they don’t need another -- they need a scoring left wing, but even before that, they need a sturdy, No. 1 defenseman who can play 21 minutes a night.

And that’s a position that is going to be very tough to fill.

Kimmo Timonen could be re-signed, but "if" that scenario occurs, it won’t be anywhere near the $6 million he earned last season.

Hextall admitted defense is a priority in his first offseason. Soon we’ll discover just how much a priority the position truly represents.

For now, however, any thoughts of Ryan Kesler remain absurd to justify on multiple levels.

Timmy isn't on the Kesler train.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, that's not clear in the slightest. Couturier drew harder assignments and had less PP time but was only 4 points shy of Kesler. In fact, Couturier outproduced Kesler at even strength; Kesler had 26 ES points, Couturier had 31.

Sedin only had 47 points...is Couts as good as him offensively too?

Gimme a break. This season was a disaster all around for Vancouver.

Watch the two players play. Kesler is better offensively than Couts. Its VERY clear.

....but I wont try and convince anyone here because I know its pointless to go against 14 in any argument on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad