News Article: Ryan Kesler and the Philadelphia Flyers

HometownHockey

Ryan Kesler and the Philadelphia Flyers

2014_06_07_L.jpg

Last night on TSN’s Insider Trading segment the Ryan Kesler situation was brought up. Kesler is apparently still looking for a new start in a new city, and has a team of six teams he would accept a trade to. Kesler is due $5 million/year for the next two years and has a NTC on his current deal, meaning he controls his own destiny to a certain extent. Kesler is a guy that has had some injury troubles lately, but has the ability to be a great centre on a good team. He is a 2-way guy that kills penalties, is great on face offs, plays the power play and gets in the other teams face with his style of play. He is uses an agitating style to drive opponents crazy, which allows him to use his skill to put up points. He would be a great addition to a that is looking to challenge for the Cup.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/Hockey/HH0555.php

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I find it funny the picture used, because Kessler would do no more for us than couturier would

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Ya know, when I look at the flyers roster I really see a glaring need to obtain a center. Especially trading a young center and obtaining one that's going to be 30 and only scored 4 more points than a 21 year old playing the toughest minutes on the team.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I am not willing to give up schenn nor couts for kesler. I would offer a package around Laughton+ Grossman+ draft pick for him. Laughton could step right in and Grossman can fil the role of alberts there since he retired. What Nuck fans want for him and what they get are two different scenarios. They most likely aren't getting more than Mike Richards got us.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd be more than happy getting Kesler if it is a good deal. I would NOT trade B.Schenn, Couturier, or Laughton for him (or our other big time assets). I'd trade picks. I'd trade marginal players. But at best Kesler is a lateral move in most trades we could make. In other words, unless VAN wants our garbage for Kesler...Pass.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Canucks ****ing wish they could get Schenn or Couturier from us... NO CHANCE.

We don't want or need him so there is no chance we're trading for him. Any rumors about a trade like this happening is coming from Canuck fan wishful thinking.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
He does, this article is nothing more than a Canucks fan saying they'd rather have couturier in a trade than schenn. In reality, they'll be getting neither in a trade for kesler.

The author practically states it would be Kesler in decline for Kesler in his prime. The Flyers don't need to fix Canuck problems.

LEIFey

Context Matters!
Jun 28, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
I'd move Vinny for him if they ask nicely. Or if they ask meanly. They don't even really need to ask. Please take Vinny.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Kesler does not put the Flyers over the top, so why would they give up anything major for him? They wouldn't. Nucks fans can fantasize all they want, but it is not going to happen.

Vinny + 2nd for Kesler. Take it or get lost.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I have no issue with Kesler on this team as a 2C. I also would have no issue if it were a package around B. Schenn or Laughton. Personally, I think the dislike of Kesler is very much "What have you done for me lately". His decline miraculously coincides with the rest of the team being bad. Is his poor play the causal agent for everyone else collapsing or is his poor play linked to being on a team that was a mess from top to bottom? I tend to think the later. There is something to be said for "buying low". You want to be buying guys based on expected future value.... not most recent poor (low) or excellent play.

All that said, I would obviously prefer our assets be utilized in other areas.... like a winger or D-man, but Kesler makes the Philadelphia Flyers a better team over the short and medium term, so I am not going to abjectly scream "Do not want" without evening hearing the price.... and I'm certainly not letting the Penguins get him for dirt cheap because I had my head in the sand.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I love Kesler, but the fit just isn't there for where our club is positioned right now.

I would consider a straight up schenn swap, contingent on removal of lecavalier, but still probably prefer not to

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Remember the rumor of the Flyers offering Vinny+1st rounder at the deadline. Ha, do that

I still like my Laughton+Grossmann+2nd rounder for him. It resembles the Richards trade...... sorta..... not really ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad