News Article: Ryan Kesler and the Philadelphia Flyers

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Kesler doesn't fit here, why trade schenn for him, they were similar in points, the difference is that schen could still get better, Kesler won't be good much longer.

I've said this before, flyers fans get mad when holmgren signs an old washed up center, now they want to trade schenn AND a first for another declining center? Where's the logic in that?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Kesler doesn't fit here, why trade schenn for him, they were similar in points, the difference is that schen could still get better, Kesler won't be good much longer.

I've said this before, flyers fans get mad when holmgren signs an old washed up center, now they want to trade schenn AND a first for another declining center? Where's the logic in that?

I don't think I've seen one fan even remotely okay trading BSchenn+1st for Kesler.

I don't even think I've seen anyone okay with Schenn for Kesler straight up...

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I probably read something wrong, but anyone who is ok with it (other than Canucks fans) is a lunatic

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
To me that would defeat exactly what Hextall just said in his interviews.I don't buy it.And I wouldnt deal Schenn for Kesler, even if he is a "BEAST"

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm the Lead Schenn Hater and I wouldn't trade him and a 1st for Kesler. What's the point? That doesn't make us into contenders with our sloppy D situation and we still don't really know what Schenn is. I'm not sure Schenn even knows what he is, but based on watching him play, I believe he thinks he's a croquet player.

Edit: Look, I don't want to sound extreme or anything, but maybe it's best if he retires from hockey and takes a job at a Tyson's factory, separating chickens mechanically.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm the Lead Schenn Hater and I wouldn't trade him and a 1st for Kesler. What's the point? That doesn't make us into contenders with our sloppy D situation and we still don't really know what Schenn is. I'm not sure Schenn even knows what he is, but based on watching him play, I believe he thinks he's a croquet player.

Edit: Look, I don't want to sound extreme or anything, but maybe it's best if he retires from hockey and takes a job at a Tyson's factory, separating chickens mechanically.

The kids are in good hands with you critiquing them for the next few years. :sarcasm:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
To me that would defeat exactly what Hextall just said in his interviews.I don't buy it.And I wouldnt deal Schenn for Kesler, even if he is a "BEAST"

Might depend how many Schenns you want to deal. Is trading Brayden worth getting rid of Luke, and getting Kesler (hopefully Kesler-plus)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

They could give him a hockey stick to use, but he would lose them in the offensive zone, and then fall down into the egg conveyor belt.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
the Schenn hate hasn't reached JVR hate levels yet. yet.

JVR in certain games was the best Flyer on the team. Schenn hasn't reached that potential yet, but Schenn doesn't lack in effort like JVR did. If Schenn reaches his potential and quits with his stupid turnovers all the time then I would much rather have a Schenn than a JVR. Consistency and puck control is Schenn's problem. I also wish he would learn how to one time and actually hit the puck. He was one of the reasons the second PP was dreadful because in his spot you HAVE to one time the puck well.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
JVR in certain games was the best Flyer on the team. Schenn hasn't reached that potential yet, but Schenn doesn't lack in effort like JVR did. If Schenn reaches his potential and quits with his stupid turnovers all the time then I would much rather have a Schenn than a JVR. Consistency and puck control is Schenn's problem. I also wish he would learn how to one time and actually hit the puck. He was one of the reasons the second PP was dreadful because in his spot you HAVE to one time the puck well.

JVR had the same issues in college as well. When he wanted to be he could be the best player on the ice but he also had times where he would just disappear and you would wonder if he was a healthy scratch. I was one of his biggest supporters on this board but I admit he was a frustrating player at times. I hated the trade then and I still hate it.
I am not ready to give up on Schenn. The kid has some things he needs to work on but his flaws are correctable. he is still a young player in this league trying to find his way. I understand that some are frustrated with him at times but maybe he is a late bloomer. Giving up on him now and thinking he is a bust is just wrong(not saying you are saying that). I still think he can be a really good player in this league.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
JVR had the same issues in college as well. When he wanted to be he could be the best player on the ice but he also had times where he would just disappear and you would wonder if he was a healthy scratch. I was one of his biggest supporters on this board but I admit he was a frustrating player at times. I hated the trade then and I still hate it.
I am not ready to give up on Schenn. The kid has some things he needs to work on but his flaws are correctable. he is still a young player in this league trying to find his way. I understand that some are frustrated with him at times but maybe he is a late bloomer. Giving up on him now and thinking he is a bust is just wrong(not saying you are saying that). I still think he can be a really good player in this league.

I actually think the same thing as you, but I am still open for trading him if the correct trade option opens up like a Marleau or Kesler. At the end of the day though you never have to question Schenn at his passion for the game like you did JVR. Lets hope he improves this off season on his main weaknesses. Too many times he would just give that puck over to the other team after he held the puck too long and like you said it is frustrating.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Kesler would make the team better depending on the package. If it's a Laughton + Schenn + 3 rounder(A realistic offer from VANS pov. Would the flyers accept it? A heap to think about). I believe it would make the team better 5 on 5 instantly. G-Couts-Kesler is better than Schenn being in the pivot. Of course the negative would be youth being traded and the center depth in the ranks poor. We would have to take a Center in the first round next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Agreed.

And he is no different than most of the other forwards drafted his year. Most are dealing with consistancy issues as well as some other things...like Schenn. Just look:

Kadri
E.Kane
Glennie(bust)
MPS
Kassian
Holland
Leblanc
Kreider
Josefon
Schroeder
Johansson
Caron
Palmieri
Ashton

They are the F drafted in the 1st round that year that are all in the same boat with Schenn...or worse. Only Tavares and Duchene have really established themselves as great players so far.

Schenn should be tried at LW beside Giroux to give us depth there and to lessen the depth at C. This way, his minutes can go from 16 a night to 19-20. Only if he struggles after most if the season there would I look to move him for a natural LW or a D with similar upside.

The 30th in scoring LW last year had 44 points. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that he should produce as a low end 1st liner if moved to wing. Getting 45+ points out if him beside Giroux should be quite doable.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Kesler would make the team better depending on the package. If it's a Laughton + Schenn + 3 rounder(A realistic offer from VANS pov. Would the flyers accept it? A heap to think about). I believe it would make the team better 5 on 5 instantly. G-Couts-Kesler is better than Schenn being in the pivot. Of course the negative would be youth being traded and the center depth in the ranks poor. We would have to take a Center in the first round next year.

I wouldn't accept it and I doubt hextall would either, he said he doesn't want to trade youth or picks and plans to build from the draft.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I'm not really a fan of taking on old guys to replace up and coming guys.

Kesler is a great player no doubt, but I don't think he belongs on this Flyers team.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't trade Couts for him, and I wouldn't trade Schenn for him either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Kesler is going to be 30 in August. Hextall would look like a liar and a fool if he traded BSchenn+ for him.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
And why would we trade two young centres for an older one? We MAYBE trade one, not BOTH schenn and Laughton

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I'd only deal Laughton in a Kesler deal and Lecavalier would have to be going with him. I'm not that high on Schenn but it doesn't make any sense to deal him for Kesler at this stage of their careers. If Schenn is dealt it needs to be for a defenseman.
'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad