Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He needs to find his edge again, until he does that he won't be in the NHL. He seems like a really nice guy that is well liked in the room, but when it's all said and done he hasn't done enough to keep his roster spot.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I don't think Jones has been any less physical this year than in seasons past. With that said, I never thought he was ever as physical as a lot of people around here have given him credit for over the years.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jones is a character guy but it looks like his puck luck has run out.

He just hasn't looked confident at all since he returned from his eye injury.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
If he gets back on his game in OKC he could be an absolute monster in the AHL. He's the kind of player Nelson really likes and he'd be really popular with the fans here too. Nice to have a vet like that for a callup.

Assuming he clears waivers of course.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I don't think Jones has been any less physical this year than in seasons past. With that said, I never thought he was ever as physical as a lot of people around here have given him credit for over the years.

He was always credited with phantom body checks by the official scorers. It was embarrassing from day 1 of his contract. Hitting in the NHL is a joke, apparently Jones who was able to glide guys into the boards or a little chicken wing push is a hit.
The guy has good speed, but he always lets up when he could be destroying guys. He never finishes his bodycheck.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Well, it's already been said a million times, but yeah, he was simply outplayed and looked sluggish and nearly invisible this pre-season.

I like the guy a lot, and would have loved to see him get some regular season games in, but really, the positive here is that (again, like others have stated) it appears we have a real training camp here, and that spots are legitimately up for grabs for those that earn them.

I really like that.

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
How does Waivers work with the new CBA?

If they clear when sent down - do they need to clear when called up as well? Or are there any gamerestrictions?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If he gets back on his game in OKC he could be an absolute monster in the AHL. He's the kind of player Nelson really likes and he'd be really popular with the fans here too. Nice to have a vet like that for a callup.

Assuming he clears waivers of course.

I'd be surprised if someone claimed him TBH. He should be good in the AHL if he can get his game together.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How does Waivers work with the new CBA?

If they clear when sent down - do they need to clear when called up as well? Or are there any gamerestrictions?

Re-entry waivers are gone in the new CBA. Not sure what happens if we call him up and then try send him back down though. Although at that point the team probably doesn't care.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Now I come to think about it.. what if we didn't hire Eakins, and he didn't bring in Hamilton, and Acton. I know they are not as good as we want our bottom six to be but at least we have some competition and depth.. (if that what you can even call it). Wonder who we would have brought in if we hadn't hired him.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Best of luck to Jones wherever he ends up, be it OKC or otherwise.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He was always credited with phantom body checks by the official scorers. It was embarrassing from day 1 of his contract. Hitting in the NHL is a joke, apparently Jones who was able to glide guys into the boards or a little chicken wing push is a hit.
The guy has good speed, but he always lets up when he could be destroying guys. He never finishes his bodycheck.

Completely agreed. Jones was never a very physical player, would only show it in short spurts. He's a prime example of why the hits stat is virtually meaningless. I would say about 250 of his 270 hits that were recorded the previous 2 seasons were love taps.

What he used to be was a guy that played pretty well on the cycle and was opportunistic using some good speed (for a big guy) to create scoring chances but he lost a lot of that speed so he can't even get on the cycle anymore.
It's too bad because i was really rooting for him but he's just not good enough anymore.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure the formula for anyone on a one-way is Player's cap hit - $925K unless the player's cap hit is already less than 925K, in which case it's entirely off the books.

Jones to the minors clears $925K of his $1.5M leaving us with $575K on the cap. Hamilton's cap hit is $900K which saves us a whopping $25K (essentially nothing)

I thought it was an odd number, not so round like $900,000, but I went to look at Capgeek and they said it was league minimum + $375,000. They state league minimum as $525,000 in 2012-2013, has that changed in 2013-2014?

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/, under Buried Contacts (Wade Redden Rule)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad