Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's better and more useful than Hamilton and MacIntyre.
Dumb decision IMO

That's true, the other part, not so much. Hamilton was better in camp, by a wide margin, and looks to be as good of a player. I'm sure Jones can get his game back, but he didn't make this team, I that's the way it looked in camp.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Loved him years go, but with that terrible camp - it's had to justify him on the roster. Best of luck in OKC. Maybe he'll be back.

One of Brown and Eager need to go next.

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
First things first.

I am a huge Ryan Jones fan. When he was playing well I thought he was the perfect 3rd liner. A guy who could fill in the top 6 for energy or a change up and not feel bad cause he had the skill. A guy that fought hard every night and had a great impact on many games.

Whether its his eye or just lost a step I hope he can come back and restart his career here or anywhere else.

Best of luck Jonsey.

But with all the being said. He had a terrible camp. The only reason he wasn't cut before was because of his play 2 years ago.

I was originally thinking he should get to play the last preseason to prove but with the bodies we have still competing for those last few jobs I think it makes sense.

This sends a good message to players wanting to make the Oilers. Come prepared and fight for your spot.

I am very impressed with management.

My thoughts exactly

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Hamilton is cheaper and showed as much, if not more in training camp. SMac brings a very different game and isn't really comparable.

Jones is useless with the potential to be useful. MacIntyre is always useless.

I didn't really think Hamilton looked any better than Jones in pre-season. Both of them seemed pretty ineffective but I thought Hamilton looked more lost in the defensive zone. Maybe I missed some things since I was at each of the four home games and didn't see replays.

I guess their salaries might have made a difference. Hopefully we will use that cap space on a centre.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
with the rnh, gagner, potter, and grebeshkov injuries, we should be in a position to add via waiver or trade. We must have some cap space now??

Not really. None of them are really long term IR candidates so they count towards the cap. I actually think we are over the cap when you do the math as I'm counting 27 guys with a cap payroll of 69.4 million but since a lot of that is bonus' we are allowed 69.1 million. Either someone needs to go on LTIR, Jones is claimed to save his $600 buried cap hit or we have to demote one more even though we'd be at 22 healthy players.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
Sorry if this has been mentioned already but I believe since Jones contract is 1-way the Oilers get a cap hit of his salary less 950k (unless he gets claimed).

Anyway, chalk one up for the advanced statistics crew. They have long thought this player was garbage who had some puck luck for a couple years. Personally I wasn't thrilled to see MacT resign him given what else was out there. However the decision to cut ties is refreshing and I don't think something like this would have happened under Lowe or Tambellini's watch.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Jones is useless with the potential to be useful. MacIntyre is always useless.

I didn't really think Hamilton looked any better than Jones in pre-season. Both of them seemed pretty ineffective but I thought Hamilton looked more lost in the defensive zone. Maybe I missed some things since I was at each of the four home games and didn't see replays.

I guess their salaries might have made a difference. Hopefully we will use that cap space on a centre.

I am sure salaries played into it. I agree Hamilton hasn't done much more, but he hasn't been worse and saves us cap space to hopefully add another player.

Mac I disagree with you on. He isn't a high minute player, but he does fill a role here that no one else does. If guys are getting chippy with our kids you send him out so a guy like Eager/Brown can get chippy right back and not worry about getting pounded by a heavyweight.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Jones has not been the same since his eye injury. Great guy and I was rooting for him, but he simply was not good enough.

Hopefully he gets claimed and can revive his game somewhere.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Sorry if this has been mentioned already but I believe since Jones contract is 1-way the Oilers get a cap hit of his salary less 950k (unless he gets claimed).

The formula when salary is buried in the minors I believe is Players Caphit - Minimum salary + $375,000.

Or, for ease, Players Caphit - $900,000.

By sending Jones ($1,500,000) to the minors, we're still on the hook for $600,000 cap hit, unless he gets claimed. $600,000 is also Hamilton's caphit.

So by keeping Hamilton instead of Jones, we have $300,000 more in capspace.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He's better and more useful than Hamilton and MacIntyre.

Dumb decision IMO

respectfully disagree. Hamilton at least can play more physical and Mac is the very best at one thing.

this is a good sign that maybe, finally, as an organization the Oil are getting away from favouring these 'crowd favorites'. Crowd favorites are a strange phenomenon in Edmonton. We seem to like players that look like they work and dig hard, an not for what they actually achieve. We loved Jones yet hated Penner. We've kept players that are popular for too long, for too long.

Jones just didn't bring enough. good luck to him.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The Oilers have $25K more capspace with Hamilton in the NHL and Jones in the AHL, so they don't really save much.

It's actually $325K but the point is still valid.

Jones Cap = 1,500,000

vs.

Hamilton Cap ($600,000) + Jones Buried Cap ($575,000) = $1,175,000.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
The formula when salary is buried in the minors I believe is Players Caphit - Minimum salary + $375,000.

Or, for ease, Players Caphit - $900,000.

By sending Jones ($1,500,000) to the minors, we're still on the hook for $600,000 cap hit, unless he gets claimed. $600,000 is also Hamilton's caphit.

So by keeping Hamilton instead of Jones, we have $300,000 more in capspace.

I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure the formula for anyone on a one-way is Player's cap hit - $925K unless the player's cap hit is already less than 925K, in which case it's entirely off the books.

Jones to the minors clears $925K of his $1.5M leaving us with $575K on the cap. Hamilton's cap hit is $900K which saves us a whopping $25K (essentially nothing)

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I hope Jones can play himself out of his funk and help the team down the road. Eventually, the team will come knocking due to injuries to its forwards this season. He needs to regain his confidence, which the minors should help him with.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Waiving Omark and now Jones is a good sign our team is getting better. Now just somehow need to get rid of N.Schultz...

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
So how many days does the waiver process take? Is it it a specific number of days before a player clears or is just a matter of when every team either passes or pick him up?

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
We have a serous lack of "flow" in the lineup now.

Nice guy. I hope this is just a speed bump for him.

On a side note, it says a lot about social media when a player feels the need to delete a twitter account because of the inevitable haters after a move like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad