Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
greatest player in franchise history? or is that still teemu's honor?

I think it's Teemu because of when he did it. He was the face of the franchise back when there was very little star power in the franchise's "history" (it was basically him and Kariya for a while). Getzlaf, while he may have had a better career as a Duck, inherited a team that had a Stanley Cup and a finals appearance (even though he was a huge part of the Cup run, he wasn't the face of the franchise at the time) and helped carry on what Teemu and PK started. Selanne also had that personality to draw people, if the Ducks had been a new franchise now with a young Teemu... it would have been even more pronounced (social media, access to players, etc.) than it was back then. That's not something you can teach, and while Getzy is a great captain... he just doesn't have the charisma that Teemu has (not a knock on Getz, very few star athletes have that).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wasn't around much when Teemu was the ruler, so I actually have higher prise for Getzy.
But not like I have anything against Teemu :laugh: Love him so much

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Keep in mind, Teemu is one of the greatest hockey players ever. Finished top 5 in MVP voting 5 times, led the league in goal scoring a bunch of times, got a bunch of season-end all star selections, he was arguably a top 3 player in the league in many of the seasons he played. And that's ignoring what he did for the franchise specifically.

The only thing that makes it even arguable to me is their respective playoff performances, where Getz usually elevates his game. To be sure he had the benefit of being on a deep, contending team that Teemu never had as a younger man in his prime. Anyway Getz is no doubt a hall of famer and a great player but it just isn't close.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think there is a legitimate argument to be made that niedermayer was the best to ever put on a ducks' uniform. It's amazing that we get to have that argument at all though.

I wish we could have appreciated that 2007 team for a little longer. The top five players on that team will most likely eclipse any player we see at the pond for a very long time.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I mean just think about it this way, you're starting a franchise and get to choose between 18 year old Teemu or 18 year old Getzlaf who are you taking?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Teemu is no doubt the more prolific offensive talent but Getzy at his peak was a two way force who did it all and stepped up his game massively in the post season. His 2009 and 2017 playoffs were the best (non goalie) post season performances in franchise history and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

I would lean Getzlaf personally. They’re my two favorite players ever, you can’t go wrong with either choice.

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
Teemu is no doubt the more prolific offensive talent but Getzy at his peak was a two way force who did it all and stepped up his game massively in the post season. His 2009 and 2017 playoffs were the best (non goalie) post season performances in franchise history and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

I would lean Getzlaf personally. They’re my two favorite players ever, you can’t go wrong with either choice.

I think Teemu is the best player but Getzlaf was the best Duck.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think Teemu is the best player but Getzlaf was the best Duck.
To me it's something similar.

But again. I was not following the Ducks much when the Teemu had the best days. The thing with Getzy though is my respect goes far beyond just his production on the ice.
But ofc Teemu was outstanding off the ice as well. Happy to have this debate :laugh:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
When it comes to what they can do after retirement
There is no doubt that Getzlaf has a future with the Ducks after he retires and recent quotes made it known he appears to want to go into a front office job with the team.

I see Getzlaf being more intelligent off the ice in a front office or coaching capacity than Selanne.
Selanne would be great in covering Ducks games in post game shows & interviewing the players.

Selanne is one of the greatest players of all time but he was calling for Zegras to get promoted to the NHL just because the Ducks were losing games.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
It wouldn't shock me in the least to hear he wants to be GM one day. Especially being so close to BM for so long. (Players don't usually get just one GM for nearly their whole careers anymore). Getz has probably picked his brain a time or two.

Just seems like he'd have that builder mentality and always be looking to improve. Plus he'd probably take immense pride in building a Cup contender. Kind of feels like maybe that's why he's so content with not chasing a cup elsewhere--he'd rather win it by building the franchise back up.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It wouldn't shock me in the least to hear he wants to be GM one day. Especially being so close to BM for so long. (Players don't usually get just one GM for nearly their whole careers anymore). Getz has probably picked his brain a time or two.

Just seems like he'd have that builder mentality and always be looking to improve. Plus he'd probably take immense pride in building a Cup contender. Kind of feels like maybe that's why he's so content with not chasing a cup elsewhere--he'd rather win it by building the franchise back up.

Plus a star player playing his whole career in one city and then going into the front office probably would give him a lot of credibility trying to sell signing here to a free agent.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I may be alone in this thinking but I don’t think he makes a good GM at all. He’s always struck me as someone who isn’t interested in the detail, he just shows up to the rink to play. I don’t doubt he ends up with some sort of post playing career job here but I would be really surprised if he’s ever a coach or GM.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Remember when Getzlaf's leadership abilities were questioned after his first year as captain? Good times. Also can't believe it's 11 years since he became captain. Time flies.

Reactions: Kalv

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I could see Getzlaf working in Player development, and God what I would do to have Teemu be on the broadcast team in some capacity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad