Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Questions for Ducks fans:

How many more years does Getzlaf have left in his career?
How many points do you think he's going to get in the next couple years?
What kind of role will he have moving forward with the team?

2-3 years

Assuming full seasons - 50-55 next year, 45 the year after. This depends entirely on line mates as he’s still capable of huge assist numbers but nobody can finish his passes regularly except maybe Rakell on the current roster.

Hes still the 1C of the team currently, going forward I imagine him or Henrique will be the 1C in terms of minutes until one of the younger players can step up and surpass them. Probably by the end of his career he will be in a Joe Thornton type role - 3C with 2nd PP time.

Reactions: duckpuck

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
2-3 years

Assuming full seasons - 50-55 next year, 45 the year after. This depends entirely on line mates as he’s still capable of huge assist numbers but nobody can finish his passes regularly except maybe Rakell on the current roster.

Hes still the 1C of the team currently, going forward I imagine him or Henrique will be the 1C in terms of minutes until one of the younger players can step up and surpass them. Probably by the end of his career he will be in a Joe Thornton type role - 3C with 2nd PP time.
Imagine if he developed a deadly one timer and became the goal scoring threat on the PP. He’d be some kind of asset on the PP with some of these young playmakers that are coming up front.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Would probably put up fairly impressive numbers if we had a better centre in front of him. Unfortunately we can't do what SJ has been doing with Thornton for the last few years. If Getz continues to be the go-to guy on the first line, I don't see too much production at all (not his fault though).

Reactions: Dmang714

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Would probably put up fairly impressive numbers if we had a better centre in front of him. Unfortunately we can't do what SJ has been doing with Thornton for the last few years. If Getz continues to be the go-to guy on the first line, I don't see too much production at all (not his fault though).
Yeah, for the last few years I was hoping Getz would end up on the Thornton plan. But that was assuming either our own prospects or acquired players could supplant him on the top line, or even the top 2 lines. Barring a miracle, that doesn't look likely at this point. Too bad, because I think he could be a matchup nightmare in that type of role.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2021-4-13_12-8-43.png

upload_2021-4-13_12-9-6.png

upload_2021-4-13_12-9-30.png

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’ve just realized he’s not going to pass Teemu this season anymore given there’s only 14 games left. That’s absolutely gutting, it should have been a sure thing coming into the year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
i just don't see him retiring after this year when he's so close to reaching 1k pts

It would be a real shame if he retired just short of Teemus record and 1K points. He was a lock to get to both a couple of years back, but obviously this pandemic had other ideas.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I just don’t see him retiring quite yet . His comments lately are not indicative of a player who considers his career to be over. I doubt Getz will win another cup, but it would be great to see him in the playoffs one more time with the Ducks. Getzlaf became who he is via his play in the postseason.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I just don’t see him retiring quite yet . His comments lately are not indicative of a player who considers his career to be over. I doubt Getz will win another cup, but it would be great to see him in the playoffs one more time with the Ducks. Getzlaf became who he is via his play in the postseason.
He could be the teams 3C next season as he'll be 36 to start the season.

If Zegras doesn't play as a center in the NHL next season they try this:
Zegras/Henrique/Terry 1st line A
Comtois/Lundestrom/Rakell 1st line B
Could roll both those lines with about equal ice time.
bottom lines:
Jones/Getzlaf/Volkov - 3rd line. Jones is the net presence guy and Volkov the shooter.
Grant/Steel/Silf 4th line. a defensive 4th line that wins faceoffs and not much else.

Heinen - maybe they don't even give him a qualifying offer. So essentially the 10th overall pick in Ritchie is traded away for nothing.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I love Getz, but I don't see why he'd play another year with this team being where they are. I feel like he's kinda deflated/coasting out there, and appears tough for him to stay motivated (which is understandable, I totally get it). While I get he's been a great leader, and now supposedly helping the rookies... I also wonder if his personal lack of motivation could be a little counterproductive for the team.

... But, unless he wants to keep playing for other reasons (doesn't want to be home all day with 4 kids, or has the drive of competition/staying in shape/love of the game - something kinda like Miller has), he probably needs to do some soul searching to figure it out this offseason.. My guess, is that's already begun, I'm sure.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
For the folks who were sure Getz would waive and the kids/logistics weren't a big deal (and wanted us to treat him like an adult), it sounds like it wasn't that close:

On thoughts of going to a team contending for the Stanley Cup
There are players in the past who have chased after a Cup at the end, and there will be players [doing that] in the future. It's completely understandable. Not to say I don't have a strong desire to win another Stanley Cup, but the other thing people don't see is my everyday life I go through. I have four kids, I have a wife who has supported me this whole time. There's a lot that goes into it, and even more than I thought. I have never been an active participant in the trade deadline before. I have always just sat on the sidelines and then see where we're at the next day. There is a lot that goes into making those kinds of decisions, moving family or moving away from family. People don't understand fully how much I am involved in this organization and how much I care about it and care about the people in it.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Getz absolutely loves this organization. Would be willing to be traded only if it meant we got a great asset back that helps our future. Has no desire to leave just to cup chase. Doesn’t seem to be upset that we’re rebuilding and will probably stick around to help the kids develop as long as his body allows him to.

I hope he sticks around the organization after he retires. And #15 better be raised into the rafters immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad