Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Oct 18, 2011
He still had it for parts of last year he just had the worst puck luck I’ve seen him have in his career, he got stapled with terrible linemates a lot of the time and he was clearly playing hurt for stretches of games.
He hasn't lost his puck skills or anything he's just a step slower I know I sound repetitive but I think he could do well as a wing, but I think his production decline has been much more to do with the team around him. It would be nice if these young players make a step forward to help him, so far Terry is

Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He hasn't lost his puck skills or anything he's just a step slower I know I sound repetitive but I think he could do well as a wing, but I think his production decline has been much more to do with the team around him. It would be nice if these young players make a step forward to help him, so far Terry is
I think he has lost some of the puck skills as well. His passes seem... off sometimes. He used to be an elite passer, he seems just ok now. Some of that is with him losing the speed a bit, but some of it might also come with change of style, which if I think about it more, is probably the main reason. And he had to change his style because he lost a bit of his step.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
All it takes is a little fun to make an old man feel young again. Hope he keeps it up. Going to suck when he retires

Reactions: Kalv

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

I understand that parts of those interviews are specifically cut, but I loved hearing that and listened to them more than once. I'm really gonna miss when he retires. I've been fortunate enough to grow up sitting close to the locker room runway since he was wearing 51, and he'll still headnod me to this day and I'm an adult in my late 30s. When I was younger I wanted high fives from him obviously (I now understand how annoying that is and why sometimes I didn't get them from him lol), but now it's simply a sign of respect that I will always appreciate about him and he clearly knows my family and I have been there for the entirety of his career.

Crazy how much better he is playing this year.

Ya I don't really see that. We used to use "Getzlaf", I still and will always do it, as a replacement for being lazy or lackadaisical, but that hasn't been the case as he's gotten older. I think he's playing the same game, probably more motivated, and that his linemates are finally coming in to their own and are "inflating" his stats.

All it takes is a little fun to make an old man feel young again. Hope he keeps it up. Going to suck when he retires

I'm sentimental as it is, and he's the first Duck I've watched thoroughly evolve in to what his career has been. My bet is he's with the organization, and pretty much IMO he can do wrong whether he wants to chase a cup. Selfishly, I want to watch playoff Getzlaf and I would love to watch that with this team. More realistically, he'd have to do that on another team, but I'm 100% on board with whatever he wants to do I'd support. He clearly doesn't need some dummies support on a message board, but that's my selfish opinion. He'll be with the organization in some capacity once he retires and I can see him, if he wants it, being an eventual GM in hockey somewhere.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Imagine if somehow he keeps up this play and comes out of nowhere to make Canada. Major long shot but they do love bringing back players who won with them before…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad