Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Anyone else see he showed off some wheels tonight hustling back to play d? Doesn't look like skating is a huge issue.
Saw it, as well as in the offensive zone (like on goal #1).

His straight forward wheels are good, not great. I think he has average speed to slightly above average straight line speed. Laterally he can move, he just isn't graceful and he isn't the pivot around on a ******* dime like Kaner or JohnnyG.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It's odd. I've seen both: "He's got wheels. He can absolutely fly" and "His skating is one of his weaknesses, it has to improve". I don't know. His skating looks awkward, but his speed is fine. As someone who has coached skating, I'll say his form is not ideal, but it doesn't seem to hold him back (granted, I am comparing his speed to the people he was racing against in only 2 games of sample size). Gaborik also wasn't fluid. I wouldn't say his skating hurt him. That's a bit of hyperbole to make my point, not a direct comparison. Please don't think I'm comparing the two.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
It's odd. I've seen both: "He's got wheels. He can absolutely fly" and "His skating is one of his weaknesses, it has to improve". I don't know. His skating looks awkward, but his speed is fine. As someone who has coached skating, I'll say his form is not ideal, but it doesn't seem to hold him back (granted, I am comparing his speed to the people he was racing against in only 2 games of sample size). Gaborik also wasn't fluid. I wouldn't say his skating hurt him. That's a bit of hyperbole to make my point, not a direct comparison. Please don't think I'm comparing the two.
I agree. He has decent speed and what not. However, he does take quite a few tumbles and gets knocked off balance quite easily. Similar to Granlund's early years -- where anytime he'd be near the half-wall or below the goalie, he'd somehow always end up on his knees. Granlund has gotten much stronger on his skates. At least thats from very few observations

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I did notice him losing more 50/50 puck battles along the boards tonight. Not for lack of effort or hustle, but he was out-muscled and/or didn't have good balance/center of gravity. Those should both be mostly fixable with one good off-season of work.

He's older (soon to be 23) for prospect, but this is his first full pro season. He was probably too good for his cup of coffee last year, and didn't really know what he needed to do to improve. Struggling this year, like he did in BOS, isn't necessarily a bad thing; if he learns from it and uses it as motivation over the summer.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He doesn't look strong, and his skating looks average at best. The good news is that he can get stronger, if he's willing to put in the work in the off season. The other good news is that the extra strength, if done correctly, will give him a bit more speed and explosiveness.

In other words, he'll never be a speedster, or a physical force, but he can be average or better if he works at it. The hands, vision, shot, moves, two way ability, etc. remain to be seen. It's amazing how a lot of those other things can improve when you can get to areas faster, fend off checks better, and win puck battles.

Reactions: W75

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I still don't see anything drastically different from him compared to guys like Granlund, Parise, Kunin.

Is he 5'10" and blonde? :sarcasm:

I'm not sure how you mean this comparison. Granlund and Parise play different style games without a lot of overlap.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He almost had a goal a game in the ECAC for Harvard his last season there (26g in 29gms).

It will be interesting to see if he can translate that into the NHL game some years from now (and hopefully in a Wild jersey).

I think I'm more excited about Donato's signing than anyone else I can think of in recent memory. I think he has good upside.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I did notice him losing more 50/50 puck battles along the boards tonight. Not for lack of effort or hustle, but he was out-muscled and/or didn't have good balance/center of gravity. Those should both be mostly fixable with one good off-season of work.

He's older (soon to be 23) for prospect, but this is his first full pro season. He was probably too good for his cup of coffee last year, and didn't really know what he needed to do to improve. Struggling this year, like he did in BOS, isn't necessarily a bad thing; if he learns from it and uses it as motivation over the summer.

This is where most people in Boston were on him.

He has NHL hands and and NHL shot, but his skating is average at best, and his strength and compete are not NHL level. He seems very disinterested in his own zone. The issue with some people (myself included) is that he appears to think that he "deserved" to be in the NHL, despite the problems he's had this season.

There was a feature article done in the Boston Globe by a writer that does not cover the team, and it seemed to be something his agent set up. In the article Donato contradicts himself a few times, saying that he knows he needs to get stronger, but then saying that he has been strong on the puck at every level, and knows what his strengths are.

You can Google the article and probably find it pretty easily. It supposedly rubbed the B's the wrong way, but you can read it and judge for yourself.

Good luck on your playoff stretch run.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
This is where most people in Boston were on him.

He has NHL hands and and NHL shot, but his skating is average at best, and his strength and compete are not NHL level. He seems very disinterested in his own zone. The issue with some people (myself included) is that he appears to think that he "deserved" to be in the NHL, despite the problems he's had this season.

There was a feature article done in the Boston Globe by a writer that does not cover the team, and it seemed to be something his agent set up. In the article Donato contradicts himself a few times, saying that he knows he needs to get stronger, but then saying that he has been strong on the puck at every level, and knows what his strengths are.

You can Google the article and probably find it pretty easily. It supposedly rubbed the B's the wrong way, but you can read it and judge for yourself.

Good luck on your playoff stretch run.
i actually read an article that sounds similar to this, he says he has been strong on the puck at every level so the notion that he isnt strong on the puck now confuses him. he admits he needs to get stronger but bulking up vs stronger on the puck isnt exactly the same thing.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i actually read an article that sounds similar to this, he says he has been strong on the puck at every level so the notion that he isnt strong on the puck now confuses him. he admits he needs to get stronger but bulking up vs stronger on the puck isnt exactly the same thing.

It's probably the same article.

I guess it's all in what you read into the comments. To me (and this was pre-trade), he was implying that the B's coaches were wrong, and that his "compete" is not an issue. From what we have seen this year, it is (on the NHL level anyway).

And you are correct, bulking up or improving core strength is different from compete, which is all about effort. I would be more concerned about the latter then the former (which can be improved with training).

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's probably the same article.

I guess it's all in what you read into the comments. To me (and this was pre-trade), he was implying that the B's coaches were wrong, and that his "compete" is not an issue. From what we have seen this year, it is (on the NHL level anyway).

And you are correct, bulking up or improving core strength is different from compete, which is all about effort. I would be more concerned about the latter then the former (which can be improved with training).
I do sort of wonder what effect having his dad for a coach throughout college and never having left home before the trade has had on his perception. Not that he's necessarily entitled or anything, but he's mentioned appreciating the confidence Boudreau has shown in him several times. I think that has more to do with how Bruce operates than it does with Donato, but I can see how it might feel different to the kid.

Nino's made similar comments about feeling like he'd lost the trust of the coaches in Minnesota and he seems to be buying into whatever Brind'amour's selling this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see Coyle make similar remarks in the next few weeks. Seems like a common situation.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dumb question here … what kind of cap was Donato wearing after the game? How long has the Wild been giving out this locker room cap?

Sheriff/police hat. It started this year or last year (IIRC).

It's been mentioned in interviews in the past, but players don't wear it and keep it in their lockers mostly.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Dumb question here … what kind of cap was Donato wearing after the game? How long has the Wild been giving out this locker room cap?

St Paul Police cap....players award it to the hardest worker/best player of each game. Not all that uncommon among hockey teams....I've seen teams use hard hats also.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Donato can become an effective "shooter' on the PP then that will assuage my feelings of getting taken on the Coyle trade.

Dumba on one side, Donato on the other as shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad