Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
The hype on this kid is real for sure.

I've been picking apart his game a bit lately. He's been very careless with the puck a number of times each game in the past few. Obviously this is something to be expected of a young player but compared to a more polished player like Debrusk, it's night and day. I noticed Debrusk covering Donato's defensive mistakes a bunch of times in the Florida game. He also has these, wtf are you doing moments in the offensive zone. Holding the puck too long, giving the puck away.

But for sure he's got this killer instinct to produce and score points. Even the coaches understand his talent by keeping him on the top PP unit. He's also scoring at a PPG pace right now and it's hard to deny his offensive flair.

The future is bright with this kid, he will only round out into a more complete player as he ages.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Kid is a scoring stud. To be able to step in straight from college and score like he has been scoring is downright impressive. The strength and decision making will improve. He just needs to adjust to the speed of the NHL game. Playing with the talent on the Bs will be a blessing for him and fast track him on how to play the non-scoring parts of the game. The Bs have a good one.

Reactions: BiGBear8

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
The kid has a nose for the net, a very good wrist shot, and can snipe a goal. He did play with no arrogance but with alot of confidence... imwill wait on a long stretch to evaluate him more, especially his skating and board work

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not sure if I`ll get into trouble here but watching Marner`s game last night, lots of similarities between he and Donato although I find Ryan far more willing to get his nose dirty

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Needs to take care of the puck more. Losing it a little too frequently

lack of mass , long stick and still early in the game are the issues. Things that should iron out with time

Under pressure Debrusk and Donato today struggled to connect today. 5 games to go , hopefully they can keep building on their chemistry (+ Krejci)

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Needs to take care of the puck more. Losing it a little too frequently

lack of mass , long stick and still early in the game are the issues. Things that should iron out with time

Under pressure Debrusk and Donato today struggled to connect today. 5 games to go , hopefully they can keep building on their chemistry (+ Krejci)

I feel like you're always very negative. Donato had a fantastic pass to Debrusk for a goal yesterday...no one is perfect. He's not even supposed to be producing at this stage in his career, he was probably at a frat party a month ago.

Most of the team is young, have to take the good with the bad.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'll take 30+ a year but he's got the Mike Bossy sonar and shot

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
how would you line up next year?

#1 line
debrusk-krejci-donuts
heinen-backes-bjork
tfreddy-kuraly-acciari

Potential to be an even deeper line up if they extend Rick Nash. More likely to be the 19-20 line up. That 4th line could be awesome.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Donato-Krejci-Rick Nash
Heinen-JFK-Backes
Debrusk-Frederic-Bjork
Kurlay, Accairi

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
how would you line up next year?

#1 line
debrusk-krejci-donuts
heinen-backes-bjork
tfreddy-kuraly-acciari

They’re going to have to make a decision on a winger/top9 guys soon. Loaded.
They can likely getaway with JFK and TFred in Providence for another year, but it sounds like TFred could play some adequate 4th line without missing a beat,now. Like to see him dominate a year in AHL .
Selfishly, when TFred makes it, I’d like to see if there is chemistry between he and Backes and/or if there is a mentor ship option available.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
And if

And if ever there were a player who made you you go from "ok" to panic mode in a split second it was Bossy.

Stick on his stick and off, labelled, in a nanosecond.

Bossy was unreal to watch, that release was sublime.

As for Donato, exceptionally quick release but what has impressed me already about this kid is that he finds the "soft spots" in the O zone when he doesn`t have the puck or is in pursuit of the puck to give his teammates a potential target for him to unload.

Where Donato is strong in that area, it was one of my most frustrating things as a viewer watching Vatrano, with that shot, seemingly have no clue how to find those spots on the ice and give his teammates a target

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If Nash comes back he needs to go on the Krejci line, what a wonderful problem to have when you can demote one of Donato or DeBrusk if they struggle a bit. My guess will be Donato, and he'll likely light up teams if he plays against their 3rd line

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Nash comes back he needs to go on the Krejci line, what a wonderful problem to have when you can demote one of Donato or DeBrusk if they struggle a bit. My guess will be Donato, and he'll likely light up teams if he plays against their 3rd line
imagine "burying" him on the 3rd line? Opponents will be in fits trying to stop 3 scoring lines, reminds me of the Cup winning team, 3 lines who could hurt ya and a 4th who could "hurt" you

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
imagine "burying" him on the 3rd line? Opponents will be in fits trying to stop 3 scoring lines, reminds me of the Cup winning team, 3 lines who could hurt ya and a 4th who could "hurt" you

And don't discount the 4th's ability to score either, it's hard to contain kuraly's speed or schaller's saucy mitts when you least expect it...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
And don't discount the 4th's ability to score either, it's hard to contain kuraly's speed or schaller's saucy mitts when you least expect it...
yep, think I read the 4th (when Kuraly there) has almost 50pts between them all which is pretty darn impressive. The Merlot line did it in a different fashion than this 4th but both equally as effective and frustrating to play against

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

When we are throwing these line combos together (I am guilty of this too), I’m not sure we really take into consideration what the coach is trying to do big picture.

It appears to me that when Cassidy has everyone healthy he likes the Top 6 to provide the majority of the offense. The Bottom 6 chips in occasionally, but he appears to want to be able to trust this group to be able to play against any opposition line.

Personally, I would prefer that Heinen play in the Top 6 because I think he’s better with skilled pkayers. He does have the ability to play up and down the lineup and appears to have some chemistry with Nash (Riley). Cassidy seems to love that 3rd line combo of:

43-20-42

He appears to view that line as his Swiss Army Knife. Able to play in any situation, even against top lines, which leads to more favorable matchups for the B’s Top 6.

The only issue is that if he decides to stay with this, and Rick Nash is healthy, I assume he will be with DK, meaning one of Donato or DeBrusk has to sit or move to the 4th line. I don’t think Donato’s D game is strong enough to play 4th line, so if he’s in the lineup, DeBrusk would have to slide down. He’s capable of it, but how “fair” is that to him with the way he’s played.

Good problem to have I guess.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
When we are throwing these line combos together (I am guilty of this too), I’m not sure we really take into consideration what the coach is trying to do big picture.

It appears to me that when Cassidy has everyone healthy he likes the Top 6 to provide the majority of the offense. The Bottom 6 chips in occasionally, but he appears to want to be able to trust this group to be able to play against any opposition line.

Personally, I would prefer that Heinen play in the Top 6 because I think he’s better with skilled pkayers. He does have the ability to play up and down the lineup and appears to have some chemistry with Nash (Riley). Cassidy seems to love that 3rd line combo of:

43-20-42

He appears to view that line as his Swiss Army Knife. Able to play in any situation, even against top lines, which leads to more favorable matchups for the B’s Top 6.

The only issue is that if he decides to stay with this, and Rick Nash is healthy, I assume he will be with DK, meaning one of Donato or DeBrusk has to sit or move to the 4th line. I don’t think Donato’s D game is strong enough to play 4th line, so if he’s in the lineup, DeBrusk would have to slide down. He’s capable of it, but how “fair” is that to him with the way he’s played.

Good problem to have I guess.

Agree with this. I see a lot of people expecting Donato or Debrusk to slide down to the third or even the fourth line once Rick Nash is back, in my opinion that's not going to happen. Cassidy seems to love the combo of Heinen-Nash-Backes because, as you said, they can play in any situation and against any line. All three are very solid defensively and can provide some offense. They have chemistry, for a good chunk of the year when that line was first put together they were arguably our best line.

When Nash is back I think one of Debrusk or Donato are scratched, and then from there anything can happen/change.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Agree with this. I see a lot of people expecting Donato or Debrusk to slide down to the third or even the fourth line once Rick Nash is back, in my opinion that's not going to happen. Cassidy seems to love the combo of Heinen-Nash-Backes because, as you said, they can play in any situation and against any line. All three are very solid defensively and can provide some offense. They have chemistry, for a good chunk of the year when that line was first put together they were arguably our best line.

When Nash is back I think one of Debrusk or Donato are scratched, and then from there anything can happen/change.

DeBrusk has been stapled to Krejci’s hip since training camp, so I have a hard time believing that he’s going to get bumped off that line.

Even if he did, I would definitely play him over Schaller or Acciari.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
DeBrusk has been stapled to Krejci’s hip since training camp, so I have a hard time believing that he’s going to get bumped off that line.

Even if he did, I would definitely play him over Schaller or Acciari.
63-37-88
17-46-61
74-42-43
59-20-52/55/12/57

Just what I would personally go with. I know that they have resisted Backes playing center, but to me this gives them 3 lines that are dangerous and a 4th line that can actually play against other teams’ top lines and hold their own. Plus, Heinen is capable of playing center. I think DeBrusk could mesh with the other two. Donato is still not perfect defensively but has shown such an ability to score that I wouldn’t want to take him out, and being with 2 defensively sound veterans would help.

I know that Cassidy loves Nash as 3C and the line you mentioned (43-20-42) has been very effective, just spitballing on what would make them the most dangerous going into the playoffs if healthy (IMO of course). Like you said, good problem to have trying to figure out who to take out of the lineup.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I'd honestly be curious to see Backes on the wing with Schaller and one of Kuraly/Acciari centering that line if all the other forwards are healthy. I'm not keen on scratching a DeBrusk or Donato for Noel freaking Acciari.

63 - 37 - 88
74 - 46 - 61
43 - 20 - 17
59 - 52/55 - 42

Great top 6, a 3rd line that has a defensive guy in Nash who has also contributed a ton offensively this season, and two playmakers on his wing, and a physical 4th line that can pop some goals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille