Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan - Part 2

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
His production isn't even half bad for a guy logging less than 10 minutes per game in the past six games: 2 goals, 2 assists, 9 sog in 6 games. His cap hit aside the main problem is not even his foot speed compared to the other Lightning it's more the "when he is where". He always seems a step behind. I really like the guy but at this point even Erne has surpassed him.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not like he's a real trade deadline get. He's the type that teams would have to plan their cap around if they were remotely interested.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Not like he's a real trade deadline get. He's the type that teams would have to plan their cap around if they were remotely interested.
Well, there are some teams that could fit him right away. Not saying they'd pull the trigger though.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
If a team was to take his contract in the offseason before the draft, what would the package look like?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Cally healthy scratched again tonight. Looking at some stats, his hits per game, blocks per game, and usage on the pk are all down from last year. I have to wonder if the medical & coaching staff have used him even more sparingly and have instructed him to pull back on physical contact and other situations that could take a toll on his body to save him for the playoffs. At this point what he brings are only a few things to be an effective 4th liner/pker, so take that away, what's he got left?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Highly doubt it. But If that’s the plan, trade him now, and let him try to re-establish himself with another team. Not sure Cooper wants to sit a proven forward in the playoffs, especially after his last playoff series where he was likely Tampa’s best forward in that series. To sit him for a guy who has no playoff experience?
No matter what our plan for Callahan is in the playoffs, he'll be a part of this team at least until next summer. Then we either buy him out or package him with a pick or two for future considerations.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
No matter what our plan for Callahan is in the playoffs, he'll be a part of this team at least until next summer. Then we either buy him out or package him with a pick or two for future considerations.
A big fear could be is if Callahan ends the season on IR then you don't have the option to buy him out. so are they sitting him out so he won't get injuried ?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Highly doubt it. But If that’s the plan, trade him now, and let him try to re-establish himself with another team. Not sure Cooper wants to sit a proven forward in the playoffs, especially after his last playoff series where he was likely Tampa’s best forward in that series. To sit him for a guy who has no playoff experience? That would be the last straw.
Agree, I think if the playoffs started now Erne would sit. You Say the last straw like the Lightning are doing Cally wrong or something. Is that your position?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The last straw that he needs to move on now. Think it would be messed up if he sits for a guy with no playoff experience, and especially after his last ECF performance. If they have no intentions of using him in the playoffs, just get it over with now and move him.
Moving him / buying his contract out has to make sense for the Lightning too though, not just for Cally and his career.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Highly doubt it. But If that’s the plan, trade him now, and let him try to re-establish himself with another team. Not sure Cooper wants to sit a proven forward in the playoffs, especially after his last playoff series where he was likely Tampa’s best forward in that series. To sit him for a guy who has no playoff experience? That would be the last straw.

Yeah, let's trade him for his own good and the good of some other team (while spending an asset), rather than keeping him for the depth he provides.

This stuff is getting crazy again, man. And he's never been close to TB's best player in any series. This is not "TB vs. Callahan." It's a declining player who's overpaid, but not hurting us at the moment, and therefore not worth trading.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A big fear could be is if Callahan ends the season on IR then you don't have the option to buy him out. so are they sitting him out so he won't get injuried ?

...That's actually a good point. He does tend to end seasons on IR.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Callahan's mom, do you think he'd retire if we won the Cup this year? He be walking away from 4.7 million next year but after that I don't see him getting more than 1 year 1mil deals if he stays in the league. He's made close to 50mil already so walking away from 4.7 isn't going to hurt him that bad and he could probably get a job with the team for doing so if he wants to keep some cash flow coming in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I bet you are a cool dude in real life but you want to go this route man? Come on now. Let’s all just chill. Next time I’m in town will even buy you a drink at the next game ,I go to.

If Tampa wins the cup with Callahan still here , I think he will open his NTC knowing what’s on the horizon, which will make it easier to deal him rather than buy him out.

I think you're very afraid that Callahan will wind up with the stigma of a player who's been bought out. Really though, it would probably be the best thing for him, financially. He could still get another pretty decent contract on top of being paid by TB.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The last straw that he needs to move on now. Think it would be messed up if he sits for a guy with no playoff experience, and especially after his last ECF performance. If they have no intentions of using him in the playoffs, just get it over with now and move him.
If I'm Cally, the only thing I care about, the only thing, is finally getting to lift that cup that has eluded him. And this is the best place to attempt that. Leaving for somewhere else for a fresh start or change of scenery to re-establish himself would be a waste of what time he has left in this league if he doesn't land with another contender. And if he does find another team that can also try to get him that ring, I feel like he'll face the same troubles of finding the ice time and usage you think he should have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad