Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan - Part 2

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If he plays during the playoffs and it isn't filling in for an injury, I'm right back on the Fire Cooper train.

Dont disagree. It just wouldnt surprise me if they were doing this to see what they have with the kids and also to give Cally rest. He was good in the playoffs but doesnt really do much for us in the regular season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
as ive said ive learned to trust our decision makers yep mad on coop on a couple things mostly marshmellow and number one picks first rounders but he does seem to get it in time mostly... liked the size of sustr get that to me a big waste of 300 games though and lost slater for nothing. callahan is stand up did a lot for tampa and his team and adding players he has been INSTRUMENTAL you got to give him that. Do I think he could be carried on a line with us yes but that has always frustrated me as everyone knows. I am fully not always well taken here but want to say some things to put them out there....

First agreed all these forward guys then you look at all the bad d contracts on top seabrook 7 milly etc...to name the top and he still is a viable player just not for that deal. Cally is the same we knew from day one when we let vinny go this was going to be an interesting road. We understood vinny we should understand callahan cause is same situation:)

I love the man like I love vinny they are honestly in the last 20 years the two guys I respect the most wearing the bolt blue as MEN.... yet I get the business nature of hockey.... Yes I want joseph to play hell im interested in seeing what some other guys can do even martel at this point. The NHL is evovling its a smaller game a game for quick guys moving in and out of the scoring spots these are the new breed. I am ok with that and im OLD SCHOOL GUY.... I get it and understand it and for two years we are flat out the fastest team in the nhl or one of them the scoring shows that....

So the old guys while feeling for them the old style? it is time to move on imho....

I love our guys I follow everyone whom leaves and want them to do well just not versus us haha...

I think already I am in favor of cirelli and joseph over all of these guys callahan, groude, miller and killorn.... I am not down on either tyjo or palat they still bring something needed imho just like am not down on stralman but over girardi or coburn coby for sure he has been terrible this year....

Its a hard line to draw in the sand for sure.... Its a business and all business is tough. Again respect admiration love to ryan callahan for everything and if we keep him even next year im ok with that along with any of the others im not happy with. Cause I have faith in the system and the team. Yet I expect all I have named to be on numbered time basically cause better will keep coming or be available is not that I dont respect them love them for wearing the bolt uniform though:)

Just this is a business and you got to move forward in my humble opinion or you get stagnant old and not sooo good:)

So thank you ryan callahan I hope for the best for you no matter how it plays out.... I know is a family man and that part of this flat out SUCKS.... Period... Yet am happy he was here am happy for all he has done especially helping show others how to be professional I think that is understated since marty bolted pardon the pun it fell on ryan to be the old guy the leader and he did a fine job imho in showing our boys how to conduct themselves. For that I don't even have the words....Yet all can do is thank the man...

Reactions: Raphael87

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
It’s a tough situations and the team need to do what they feel is best. If they do play him in the playoffs it will be toughfor him though not having played for weeks so I'm not sure what that would bring, unless there is an injury but hopefully nothing like that happens. Oh well, I am glad that they gave him 41 games this season…but maybe that was the point.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can't help but feel bad for the guy. The writing is on the wall with him and this is definitely his last hurrah with us. To an extent he has earned his criticism, whether it is throwing the puck out in front of the crease, taking shots that have no hope of ever going in during the rare times he DOES shoot or spending too much time focusing on the physical presence aspect. His biggest fault was one he didn't really have a choice in and that was getting hurt.

But I will say this. His arrival coincided with our ascent to the top because it's possible Stralman and Boyle don't come here without persuasion. He has given everything he has and near as I can tell never taken a shift off and has helped guide the locker room for years. For that I will always thank him. That first year was magic.

I hope we can win him a Cup because even if it wasn't how we fans intended, he always was heart and soul Ryan Callahan

Last edited:

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Ya but if Callahan is better then him you play him we are trying to win a cup not develop guys here that’s what the crunch are for
Cally had a good night tonight. Let's not let it cloud our judgement. He is overall a liability on this team.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Erne was pretty damn good earlier in the season. Might just be a problem with not being used to having to play so much. He is still a much better player than Callahan.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cally had a good night tonight. Let's not let it cloud our judgement. He is overall a liability on this team.

How is Callahan a liability? He never was in that situation, he had younger guys playing better than him, but he still is a solid effective player.

He has 6 points in his last 8 games, including 2 GW goals in that span. Not sure what else he needs to do, to get back into this line up.

I don’t think Erne should be the 13th forward either, since he has games where he brings a strong solid physical game, but they should be in a forward rotation, similar to the D rotation, imo.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
At that price he's not a liability? Again, I am not just looking at his play on the ice, I am looking his value, and in this case, his value relative to Erne. You think Cally is six times more valuable to the Lightning than Erne is?
I was just talking about the ice. There should be no one uncomfortable with him out there on the fourth line.

Reactions: Raphael87

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Guys, c'mon. You know what I'm saying. I like Cally. I like his grit. But I don't like him at almost $6M bucks. I do like Erne at less than a $1M. If we can get someone to take Cally's contract tomorrow, we should. Unfortunately, no one out there would be foolish enough to do that. Peter Chiarelli is gone.

Reactions: Herbert Lewis

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
At that price he's not a liability? Again, I am not just looking at his play on the ice, I am looking his value, and in this case, his value relative to Erne. You think Cally is six times more valuable to the Lightning than Erne is?
You are beating the dead horse with a Callahan fan. The guy needs to GO!!!

Reactions: SRQKiter

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
How is Callahan a liability? He never was in that situation, he had younger guys playing better than him, but he still is a solid effective player.

He has 6 points in his last 8 games, including 2 GW goals in that span. Not sure what else he needs to do, to get back into this line up.

I don’t think Erne should be the 13th forward either, since he has games where he brings a strong solid physical game, but they should be in a forward rotation, similar to the D rotation, imo.
Here, let me put it this way. Let's say Cally was still playing for the Rags and was being paid what is being paid by us now, $5.8M, and they offered him to us, straight up for Erne, who is being paid $800K, would you make that trade?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Callahan needs to remain 13th forward. This has nothing to do with salary and everything to do with the fact that he's shown more life in these few games than he has in probably his last 200. Pre and post injuries he has been given EVERY opportunity to succeed in every facet of our team game. I speak as probably his 2nd most vocal supporter in that the injuries are not his fault. But it is completely up to him that his only aspiration for the last 3 or more years has been to blindly throw the puck in front of the net as his primary source of playmaking, to take seldom shots that never had a prayer of going in and damn near kill himself defensively and choosing these methods even while healthy.

For years he has been penned into the lineup and has not been forced to defend his post as he remained a fantastic defensive option at worst. But now in the advent of our own prospect promotion he has been bettered and his own performances of the last few years are being rendered inferior to what we see today. I hate to say it but Cally... You need to pay your dues to fight for a spot no different than the players who have supplanted you. It would not matter to me if you only made league minimum You still are #13

Palat.... You might be next buddy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think you have to consider the possibility that a big reason why he's been scoring more is because he's been playing less.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I hope they keep rotating him in and out to keep him 100% for the playoffs...that's when we need his PKing and physical presence the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad