Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan - Part 2

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope they keep rotating him in and out to keep him 100% for the playoffs...that's when we need his PKing and physical presence the most.

His strong play was not just last night. 6 points now in his last 8 games, 2 GW goal, 3 goals total. He has also been playing solid defense , has been very good on the PK, but now is showing up on the scoresheet with some big goals.

He should be in a forward rotation, not deemed the 13th forward, and he just made a case with his last two games.

Reactions: J T Money

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
-09uiouigyghfgcx

The blind squirrel finds the nut. I am impressed.

He had a really good game last night. He's been having a lot of those lately, but I think it's probably because he's only playing about once a week, and his body can handle that. Still, the Cally we've been seeing lately would be an asset in the playoffs. I just don't know if it's possible to get that kind of play out of him on a nightly basis.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I would be ok adding him to the rotation, but wouldn't exactly be outraged if he sat most of the time. Keep him fresh for the playoffs

Reactions: J T Money

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
His strong play was not just last night. 6 points now in his last 8 games, 2 GW goal, 3 goals total. He has also been playing solid defense , has been very good on the PK, but now is showing up on the scoresheet with some big goals.

He should be in a forward rotation, not deemed the 13th forward, and he just made a case with his last two games.

I agree with what you're saying. I'd just like him to be 100% healthy for the playoffs. If it means he sits a bunch and then goes beast mode in the playoffs, everybody would be extremely happy.

Injuries have taken a toll on him but, you can never take away the skills he has.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
-09uiouigyghfgcx

The blind squirrel finds the nut. I am impressed.

Nothing blind squirrel about it. He was doing this kind of stuff with the NYR year in and year out. It speaks to my earlier point. He has focused on being a defensive stalwart for his tenure here and while it worked out okay, the new guys can do it too AND score.

He let offense go by the wayside and I don't think we are gonna see much of that anymore. Dude is playing like he is 10 years younger

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yeah I'm fine with Callahan drawing in like one game a week or so, maybe less. If he can play like he played last night, he's gonna be a big benefit.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nothing blind squirrel about it. He was doing this kind of stuff with the NYR year in and year out. It speaks to my earlier point. He has focused on being a defensive stalwart for his tenure here and while it worked out okay, the new guys can do it too AND score.

He let offense go by the wayside and I don't think we are gonna see much of that anymore. Dude is playing like he is 10 years younger

That's not really true. He's always TRYING to make plays. They just rarely work out. Part of what happened last night is he was up against a bad Florida team, and he got opportunities he's not normally going to get. Another part of what happened is he was well-rested and (probably) healthy, the latter of which is rare, but I'm gonna guess the moves he made last night are a little bit harder when one shoulder or the other is wonky, over-worked, and probably in need of surgery.

Being the 13th forward doesn't mean he won't play. He'll still draw in. It might turn out to be the best thing for his game, because he wasn't giving us these performances when he was playing every night.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with what you're saying. I'd just like him to be 100% healthy for the playoffs. If it means he sits a bunch and then goes beast mode in the playoffs, everybody would be extremely happy.

Injuries have taken a toll on him but, you can never take away the skills he has.

As a Callahan fan and supporter, was actual cool with the forward rotation. Felt would keep him fresh and motivated, and help his longevity in the league for the future. With that said, was not happy when I found out he was made the 13th forward and would only play if someone got injured. He's made a strong case now, to at least get back into a forward rotation.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think the 13rd forward thing really changed his view on his role on the team. The wakeup kick in the butt he needed, if you will. His 'warrior' attitude didn't help him nor the team, playing through injuries will get the respect of some of your teammates but that's about it. With the depth we have, having him play on one leg with a banged up shoulder and a hurting hip provides no benefit to anybody. That might have worked on a weak team without depth where he'd still be on the top-6 despite all these injuries. Being forced to sit out, stay fresh and healthy will keep him honest and on his toes. Now as others here, I'm all for giving him some rest for the remainder of the regular season and have him healthy for the playoffs.

Respect to Cooper (for all the criticism he's getting around here for whatever reason). He really pulled this one through. He identified the weak link, decided to go with the best players available and hold Callahan accountable. And voilà it's already paying off (for both sides).

One thing we've seen with veterans and former star players on the top end of their careers, they're all fired up come playoff time. Member Vinny in 2011? 19 points, 6 goals and 3 game winning goals in 18 playoff games. Callahan could be the x factor in the playoffs. At worst he's a defensively reliable depth forward who can be put into the lineup when the opposition crushes us physically and in our zone.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think the 13rd forward thing really changed his view on his role on the team. The wakeup kick in the butt he needed, if you will. His 'warrior' attitude didn't help him nor the team, playing through injuries will get the respect of some of your teammates but that's about it. With the depth we have, having him play on one leg with a banged up shoulder and a hurting hip provides no benefit to anybody. That might have worked on a weak team without depth where he'd still be on the top-6 despite all these injuries. Being forced to sit out, stay fresh and healthy will keep him honest and on his toes. Now as others here, I'm all for giving him some rest for the remainder of the regular season and have him healthy for the playoffs.

Respect to Cooper (for all the criticism he's getting around here for whatever reason). He really pulled this one through. He identified the weak link, decided to go with the best players available and hold Callahan accountable. And voilà it's already paying off (for both sides).

One thing we've seen with veterans and former star players on the top end of their careers, they're all fired up come playoff time. Member Vinny in 2011? 19 points, 6 goals and 3 game winning goals in 18 playoff games. Callahan could be the x factor in the playoffs. At worst he's a defensively reliable depth forward who can be put into the lineup when the opposition crushes us physically and in our zone.

Agree best case scenario for both sides is Callahan makes it tough for us to keep him out of lineup because he is producing. Whoever is producing should stay in bottom line. We need depth scoring to show up this time.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agree best case scenario for both sides is Callahan makes it tough for us to keep him out of lineup because he is producing. Whoever is producing should stay in bottom line. We need depth scoring to show up this time.

This gives you an idea, of the top producing forwards since January 1st to now...

production.jpg

storm fan

Dec 20, 2004
Based on his performance, Callahan should be in the lineup. He is playing better then some of the forwards playing now. He is not getting rest while sitting games since he is getting bagged skated every game day he doesn't play.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Based on his performance, Callahan should be in the lineup. He is playing better then some of the forwards playing now. He is not getting rest while sitting games since he is getting bagged skated every game day he doesn't play.

No doubt, since Jan 1st he’s been 4th on the team with a .78 PPG in like 10 games.

I think Cooper is protecting Callahan from Ryan Callahan and saving him for the playoffs. If he was not going to be a part of playoffs he’d be gone. Will likely get games in next month before playoffs to shake off rust. Tampa is running away with the division, conference, and league. I also expect other players to get some rest outside of Kucherov who is going after a scoring title.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No doubt, since Jan 1st he’s been 4th on the team with a .78 PPG in like 10 games.

I think Cooper is protecting Callahan from Ryan Callahan and saving him for the playoffs. If he was not going to be a part of playoffs he’d be gone. Will likely get games in next month before playoffs to shake off rust. Tampa is running away with the division, conference, and league. I also expect other players to get some rest outside of Kucherov who is going after a scoring title.

No, he shouldn't be in the line up. He's been a regular in the line up for the last four years and produced at about a 20 point pace. Now we take him out of the line up and he's playing his best hockey since the first year of his contract, and Cooper's supposed to put him back in as a regular?

There's a difference between being bag skated and grinding opponents into the boards, and falling down, and blocking shots, and diving like a God D*** Olympic champion.

There's a cause and effect happening here. Look at that chart. Callahan's producing not IN SPITE of only playing 8 games, but BECAUSE he only played 8 games. Otherwise we would have seen this before now.

Keep him playing roughly 1.5 games per week. That way we're getting the best of him, and he can hopefully stay fresh for the playoffs.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s a difference between being in a forward rotation and being told you are the 13th forward. The rotation was working very well for him and was more than sufficient.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There’s a difference between being in a forward rotation and being told you are the 13th forward. The rotation was working very well for him and was more than sufficient.

I don't see why it matters what he was told. He's likely not one of our best 12, especially when he's playing every day. Whether he's told or not, he's the 13th forward. Doesn't mean he won't play. But, when we have a big game, it means he's out. And that's fine. He's not getting any kind of shaft here. It's a competitive sport, and he's a guy who can't stay healthy for long periods. The rotation might have been working fine for him, but at some point we have to narrow it down to what's best for the team. Erne has overtaken him by way of physicality and a willingness to stand up for himself and his teammates, which is probably something we need.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
No, he shouldn't be in the line up. He's been a regular in the line up for the last four years and produced at about a 20 point pace. Now we take him out of the line up and he's playing his best hockey since the first year of his contract, and Cooper's supposed to put him back in as a regular?

There's a difference between being bag skated and grinding opponents into the boards, and falling down, and blocking shots, and diving like a God D*** Olympic champion.

There's a cause and effect happening here. Look at that chart. Callahan's producing not IN SPITE of only playing 8 games, but BECAUSE he only played 8 games. Otherwise we would have seen this before now.

Keep him playing roughly 1.5 games per week. That way we're getting the best of him, and he can hopefully stay fresh for the playoffs.
"There's a cause and effect happening here. Look at that chart. Callahan's producing not IN SPITE of only playing 8 games, but BECAUSE he only played 8 games. Otherwise we would have seen this before now." Spot on! He's playing his best hockey in years because he's not a regular in the lineup. And there's nothing wrong with that. I stand by my previous statement that because of this, he could be the x factor in the playoffs.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
All the best to a class act. Not saying retire the guy's jersey but I'd say he earned a night dedicated to him like we did Dave Andreychuk some 11 or 12 years ago that produced that infamous pic of Vinny looking like he shit himself and Dave looking like he was gonna crack up.

I would absolutely love to see him get an assitant coaching job on special teams namely the PK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad