Injury Report: Ryan Callahan out 5 months after surgery (hip labral tear)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm pretty sure if his condition were that fragile he wouldn't touch the ice at all. Didn't we just get details about how he can skip doses in order to play? Why are we acting like he could bleed out at any moment? There's still plenty of risks, like developing another clot, but getting severely bruised and bleeding out probably aren't among them since I doubt any doctor would be okaying that.

No he can't skip doses if he could then he could play! I'm thinking they tested that theory and he did not pass

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I bet it's killing him not being on the ice with his teammates in these big wins. I have to think that if he was told there would be no risk in him playing he wouldn't hesitate. He would play in the next game that he could. Think of all he would risk if he did play and he wasn't 100%. His health #1, his career, and a huge contract coming his way soon. Put yourself in his shoes. Also have to wonder if he thinks he might mess with what the team has got going right now. I would be hesitant to play too. However I think if the team makes it to the final, I could see him playing in a small role if they tell him he could go.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
No he can't skip doses if he could then he could play! I'm thinking they tested that theory and he did not pass

He can skip doses, it just puts him at high risk of clotting.

You cant really test this theory. He is likely on lovenox, which we dont monitor labs for. You could monitor anti-Factor Xa levels, but no one does that, and there would be no point. If it shows he is no longer anticoagulated, so what? We knew that was going to happen because we know the half life of lovenox, and that was the goal of holding doses.

There is a precedent of using the altered dosing schedule in the past, but someone is clearly telling him its a really bad idea.

So much wild speculation from people with no understanding of anticoagulation therapies.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Bruising easily is quite normal for those on blood thinners but not life threatening. People on blood thinners still need to live a normal life, they don't remove knives from their house because they may cut themselves slicing fruit. He's in danger if he slices a serious artery or hits his head but any other player can be too in that situation.

His blood clots aren't from a heart issue. Yes he can throw a clot and get a PE, heart attack or stroke but so can a regular Joe under the right circumstances. Like I said he shouldn't play but he's not flirting with death if he does.

I'm pretty sure if his condition were that fragile he wouldn't touch the ice at all. Didn't we just get details about how he can skip doses in order to play? Why are we acting like he could bleed out at any moment? There's still plenty of risks, like developing another clot, but getting severely bruised and bleeding out probably aren't among them since I doubt any doctor would be okaying that.

He can skip doses, it just puts him at high risk of clotting.

You cant really test this theory. He is likely on lovenox, which we dont monitor labs for. You could monitor anti-Factor Xa levels, but no one does that, and there would be no point. If it shows he is no longer anticoagulated, so what? We knew that was going to happen because we know the half life of lovenox, and that was the goal of holding doses.

There is a precedent of using the altered dosing schedule in the past, but someone is clearly telling him its a really bad idea.

So much wild speculation from people with no understanding of anticoagulation therapies.

It's all speculation.

palat its been reported that he is on lovenox

hose just disregard a ruptured spleen a kidney shot liver punch etc. not just head is a lot of ways to get hurt and die on this stuff not just the head but the head is biggest concern

i personally think he has been given bad advice because others have risked career on blood thinners in past before him

http://patientblog.clotconnect.org/2011/03/02/athletes-and-blood-clots/ contact sports IE hockey are not safe for athletes on blood thinners

http://patientblog.clotconnect.org/2011/03/02/athletes-and-blood-clots/

just trying to be helpful provide data on stephens surgery etc..he had the effort thombosis and surgery to take care of it :)removed the rib etc..

http://www.si.com/edge/2014/12/16/blood-clots-pose-deadly-threat-to-athletes some info dupuis vokuon etc..

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
MORE EDGE: On the Road: How Edmonton's Ference handles NHL travel
He’s back on the blood thinners now, taking a pill a day, waiting to see if the clots in his lungs have broken down naturally. Six months on anticoagulants is the protocol, and while he can exercise—bike, jog, play tennis—and otherwise lead a normal life, he cannot play hockey. On blood thinners, it can take more than 15 minutes to stop bleeding from a simple paper cut. So the trauma inherent in contact sports like hockey—not just bleeding on the surface but also, of more concern, bleeding internally—makes playing on blood thinners an absolute non-starter.

this paragraph is on ferrence sums it all up a paper cut can take 15 minutes to stop bleeding think about a hit to kidneys or spleen? no bueno

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
palat its been reported that he is on lovenox

hose just disregard a ruptured spleen a kidney shot liver punch etc. not just head is a lot of ways to get hurt and die on this stuff not just the head but the head is biggest concern

i personally think he has been given bad advice because others have risked career on blood thinners in past before him

http://patientblog.clotconnect.org/2011/03/02/athletes-and-blood-clots/ contact sports IE hockey are not safe for athletes on blood thinners

http://patientblog.clotconnect.org/2011/03/02/athletes-and-blood-clots/

just trying to be helpful provide data on stephens surgery etc..he had the effort thombosis and surgery to take care of it :)removed the rib etc..

http://www.si.com/edge/2014/12/16/blood-clots-pose-deadly-threat-to-athletes some info dupuis vokuon etc..

Damn you Robert lol you made me think palat was on blood thinners now!!! Lol

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Say Stamkos is ready to go. Do you want him on the ice? No offense - he is a great player. But coming off a medical issue and not in game condition. Do you want him taking shifts and PP time from Drouin, Kucherov, Palat, etc? If Stamkos insisted on playing in less then perfect condition, people would be calling him selfish for that. If he doesn't play, his toughness is being questioned. Can't win.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Say Stamkos is ready to go. Do you want him on the ice? No offense - he is a great player. But coming off a medical issue and not in game condition. Do you want him taking shifts and PP time from Drouin, Kucherov, Palat, etc? If Stamkos insisted on playing in less then perfect condition, people would be calling him selfish for that. If he doesn't play, his toughness is being questioned. Can't win.

I'm at the point where I think Stamkos on the PP is a detriment. At least to the 1st unit. We need Drouin there, and we need him on the left point/circle. I don't know that Stamkos is an improvement on Johnson down low or Boyle in front of the net. Maybe.

If Stammer comes back, and Cooper doesn't make him check his ego (2nd PP unit), I can definitely see it being a detriment. But he'd improve us down the middle 5on5 for sure, and maybe open up some ice for Drouin.

17-9-86
18-91-27

--Or--

18-9-27
17-91-86

Either of those options are deadly, IMO. Flip is a luxury at 3C.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
MORE EDGE: On the Road: How Edmonton's Ference handles NHL travel
He’s back on the blood thinners now, taking a pill a day, waiting to see if the clots in his lungs have broken down naturally. Six months on anticoagulants is the protocol, and while he can exercise—bike, jog, play tennis—and otherwise lead a normal life, he cannot play hockey. On blood thinners, it can take more than 15 minutes to stop bleeding from a simple paper cut. So the trauma inherent in contact sports like hockey—not just bleeding on the surface but also, of more concern, bleeding internally—makes playing on blood thinners an absolute non-starter.

this paragraph is on ferrence sums it all up a paper cut can take 15 minutes to stop bleeding think about a hit to kidneys or spleen? no bueno

This doesnt summarize anything though. Stamkos is on Lovenox, therefore, if he holds his morning dose, he would not be anticoagulated for the game. Any cut should stop bleeding just as if he normally would. We hold morning lovenox doses for surgery patients all the time. Ferrence was on coumadin/xeralto, so he was anticoagulated at all times and would take like a week to no longer be anticoagulated.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
The team chemistry is once again at an all time high. It's smart for both sides to move forward without eachother.

He wants to sign a team friendly contract in a month or two then by all means but I've moved on and I think the team has too. We are one game away from a cup final without our captain who would like to be the highest paid player in the league. Yeah, no thanks

Hell our #1 goalie is broken down. What this team is accomplishing right now is flat out amazing

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
The team chemistry is once again at an all time high. It's smart for both sides to move forward without eachother.

He wants to sign a team friendly contract in a month or two then by all means but I've moved on and I think the team has too. We are one game away from a cup final without our captain who would like to be the highest paid player in the league. Yeah, no thanks

Hell our #1 goalie is broken down. What this team is accomplishing right now is flat out amazing

In interviews, the TBL players seem to always refer to the fact that he is their captain and leader and they are soldiering on without him doing the best they can, etc.

Do you think they really miss him or is that just something they say automatically? On some teams, some guys are beloved and the team really feels their absence. I wonder if this is the case with Stamkos.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
In interviews, the TBL players seem to always refer to the fact that he is their captain and leader and they are soldiering on without him doing the best they can, etc.

Do you think they really miss him or is that just something they say automatically? On some teams, some guys are beloved and the team really feels their absence. I wonder if this is the case with Stamkos.

I think it's different for us to talk about these things than it is for teammates. These guys spend so much time together and are pretty much brothers. I think they miss him in games and all. He was with them until the end of the season. I wonder if Stamkos doesn't want to mess with anything chemistry wise more so than the other guys worried about it. These guys are too focused on winning.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I think it's different for us to talk about these things than it is for teammates. These guys spend so much time together and are pretty much brothers. I think they miss him in games and all. He was with them until the end of the season. I wonder if Stamkos doesn't want to mess with anything chemistry wise more so than the other guys worried about it. These guys are too focused on winning.

Yeah it's really impossible to say. I've never really liked Stamkos personally as a great leader but the guys know him much better than I do

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im all for stamkos back but want to keep 11-7 if possible just like getting different looks in the game vladdy kuch etc..

stamkos is fine he is not the reason our power play sucked or did well

i think now with drouin running the power play we would see a little difference kucherov and drouin have been good at moving around stamkos can do that also etc..

think is a non issue hes in game shape to me so let him play if he could hes a lot better than say having paquette in the lineup

just saying not trying to bus anyone lol

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Anything over $8m and I have no interest, zero, none, nada, you get the point. Yeah, he'll have to be replaced and possibly by a FA signing in the short term but you don't overpay wildly long term, period. We have a very capable replacement or three waiting in the wings, well, Kooch already took over, to be fair.:laugh:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...or-penguins-vasilevskiy-for-lightning/2278717
Bishop continues to make progress, calling Tuesday's skate the best day he's had on the ice since, but he's still not ready. "It's been a big improvement the last three days as far as how it feels," Bishop said. "It's still not quite there, I'm still favoring it a little bit. It's a process, you can't just jump right in. It's encouraging at least the last three days you're really seeing the improvement, moving a little bit better." Can Bishop return for Cup Final, if team advances? "That's definitely the goal," Bishop said. "You can kind of see the light there. It's just a matter of not trying to do too much, too fast."
Captain Steven Stamkos (blood clot) continued to skate with the team but said his status hasn't changed, though admitted today was also his best day on the ice.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
If by some miracle, Bish says he's healthy tomorrow, I'd start him. His record in close-out games is too good to pass up...

Bishop and Stamkos will not play. But like almost everyone around here says Vasi is just as good as Bishop, possibly better. So it's irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad