Injury Report: Ryan Callahan out 5 months after surgery (hip labral tear)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Oh, please. If anything, it's a distraction for the Pens. The team knows who is and who isn't in the lineup. It's a distraction for the Pens, because they don't know if our #1 center is playing, and if they've prepared for that. Not seeing how it's a distraction for the Bolts.

Yeah really no different than other teams hiding their line up, combinations, or starting goalie until the last minute.

Sear91

Jun 26, 2007
Tampa
I think he's only there to accept the Prince of Wales if we win, though it is interesting mental ammunition on Cooper's part.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Bishop said in his exit interview that he "strained all the stuff in my shin and ankle" and he was 1 week away from being able to play.

He thought his leg was broken so he didn't get up and try to skate off the ice because Stamkos did that with his broken leg and made the injury worse.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

I just did a basic google search but it sounds like it had to be really bad for it to require surgery and that much recovery time. Get well soon Cally !

Also does this mean TyJo could take his place on Team USA ? Not really sure of the injury replacement protocol for the World Cup but I have to imagine he'd be one of the first options.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Callahan is a warrior...don't even know what kind of pain that would be with every stride. Its like a tear to the cartilage between the femur and the hip it looks like. Friggin crazy he'd play through something like that.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Callahan is a warrior...don't even know what kind of pain that would be with every stride. Its like a tear to the cartilage between the femur and the hip it looks like. Friggin crazy he'd play through something like that.

Yeah I don't think any of us are surprised he had some sort of injury but I don't know how he kept playing with something like this. Hopefully he has a full recovery and a great bounceback year.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It was pretty clear he was hurt pretty bad as he was skating at half speed. I just thought it was a knee injury. Damn that hip must have been painful.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hopefully that explains most of his regression and he will come back better.

Or maybe it's something that will hamper him the rest of his career. :(

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Oh wow, I didn't think it would be something this serious. At least it'll only be 1 month.

Opens up at least 1 spot for another forward to make the team out of camp.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well this injury would certainly explain a lot. I'm hoping I've been wrong about Callahan this whole time now. I mean, almost anyone can be better than scoring once every 10 games. Injury makes a lot of sense as to why he was so held back and why his shots were so weak. If you have no leg to stand on, how the hell are you gonna shoot?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hope it doesn't impact his game too much going forward. I mean is he going to be back to 100% or is it a "he was never the same after his injury" type of thing? Does anybody know about this type of injury and recovery?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Hope it doesn't impact his game too much going forward. I mean is he going to be back to 100% or is it a "he was never the same after his injury" type of thing? Does anybody know about this type of injury and recovery?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953303/ pretty good stuff here

with the way he plays i dont like the surgery or the injury just saying not really happy

hopefully he can rehabilitate this to satisfaction and has no more issues

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Old thread but some news on it:

Cally spent his first day onthe ice in Brandon today and everything seem to be going the right way.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Hey bolts fans.
Just a question I had about callahans value right now.

Would you guys rather have Callahan for the next 4 years at 5.8 cap hit or would you rather have the space?

I guess the base of my question is does he realistically still have value or is he a piece you're looking to dump?

Good luck to TB this year you guys and FLA will be interesting to watch

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hey bolts fans.
Just a question I had about callahans value right now.

Would you guys rather have Callahan for the next 4 years at 5.8 cap hit or would you rather have the space?

I guess the base of my question is does he realistically still have value or is he a piece you're looking to dump?

Good luck to TB this year you guys and FLA will be interesting to watch

He looked pretty rough last year on account of playing through an injury. I suspect he'll look better this year and, if we can keep the team together as-is, I'd love to see him hoist the Cup with a bolt on his sweater.

It is difficult to see a way not to move him during the offseason and still keep pieces that are arguably more essential, however. I can see a team taking him balking at the cap hit, so I would assume there would be some retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad