RW Vitaly Kravtsov - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2018, 9th, NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Pre-draft, I mentioned on the Isle's board, that every year I get a feeling about a player. Sometimes I'm right, other times I'm wrong, and the other times it's still too early to tell (most times). Back during the 2016 draft, I just got a feeling about Kieffer Bellows, there's something about him that made me feel he will be a multiple time 30+ goal NHL player. Obviously it's too early to tell if that holds true, but nothing has happened that has made me feel any different. In 2017, it was Tolvanen, I think he's gonna be an NHL sniper, 2014 it was Ehlers, who has turned out to be a helluva player. And going way back, in 1990, I had that feeling about Jaromir Jagr, now I didn't have the feeling he would be a 1st ballot Hall Of Famer (he will be), and an all time great, but I felt he would be special.

But of course I've been wrong many times, was thrilled Quebec took Sundin in 1989 instead of Dave Chyzowski, because I preferred Chyzowski for my Isles over Sundin. Boy was I WAY off on that one. There have been plenty I've been wrong on through the years, and several I've been right about.

That being said, this year, I just had a feeling about Kravstov. I mentioned on the Isle's board, that I have a feeling he COULD wind up being the best forward from this draft. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but he certainly has the talent to make it so. That playoff run for Kravstov was so impressive, and if you've seen any highlights, it was just very impressive. I think that once he fills out, he'll be tough to play against. He already uses his body well in the offensive zone, and he's only 170 pounds. Good shot, good speed, he has it all. Gonna be fun to watch at the WJHC in December.

My poor Uncle, a HUGE Ranger's fan for almost 60 years, was drooling when Wahlstrom was still available at #9, and devastated when the Rangers didn't pick him. He's a draft fanatic, so it's not like he didn't know who Kravstov was, he just preferred Wahlstrom. So even the next day, I had to console him. I mentioned my thoughts on Kravstov to him, and I think it made him feel a little better. I truly feel Kravstov is going to be a stud, and this is coming from an enemy (an Isle's fan).

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I remember Future Considerations trying to justify ranking him at #28 with the classic "inconsistency issues", good times, that's what you go for when you want to diminish a player skills but can't actually find any holes in his game.

Reactions: Andrei79

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I remember Future Considerations trying to justify ranking him at #28 with the classic "inconsistency issues", good times, that's what you go for when you want to diminish a player skills but can't actually find any holes in his game.
It’s cause he’s Russian. There aren’t much holes in his game, his defense has really come along as well and the effort/motor is there too. Maybe his IQ could be a tad better (not saying it’s bad but just nitpicking at what can improve, his IQ is fine) and sometimes he does hold on to the puck too long resulting in a turnover but that’s even stretching it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
It’s cause he’s Russian. There aren’t much holes in his game, his defense has really come along as well and the effort/motor is there too. Maybe his IQ could be a tad better (not saying it’s bad but just nitpicking at what can improve, his IQ is fine) and sometimes he does hold on to the puck too long resulting in a turnover but that’s even stretching it.

Yeah Russian factor, nearly no international play and probably lack of viewing were the real reasons which they try to cover up with inconsistencies issues, pretty lame.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Didn't know Shen played with the top players on the PP, nice to see.
Russia is traditionally poor on centers and tends to play a complete forward line on the PP unit. Shen was centering the top line, hence the PP unit.

Not to take anything away from Shen, but there are no standout centers, so it is not surprising he gets the 1C spot. Also the line seems to click. Bragin is taking notes for the WJC roster to be sure.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's unlikely to happen, but Kravtsov and Svechnikov on the same line at the world juniors would be ridiculous.
I will be more than happy if we don't get those dream lines for the WJC more often. They both need to grow into a role on the bsenior NT. That's where I want to see that line happen.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Didn't know Shen played with the top players on the PP, nice to see.

Russia is traditionally poor on centers and tends to play a complete forward line on the PP unit. Shen was centering the top line, hence the PP unit.

Not to take anything away from Shen, but there are no standout centers, so it is not surprising he gets the 1C spot. Also the line seems to click. Bragin is taking notes for the WJC roster to be sure.

I have a feeling just based on size, skill, and familiarity with Bragin, not necessarily on experience at the position we'll see Kostin in this spot at the WJC, at least on a trial basis. But Shen's a solid prospect and he's handling this role well and would be a great plan b and establishing decent chemistry, though I'd personally call him the 3rd wheel on that line.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I have a feeling just based on size, skill, and familiarity with Bragin, not necessarily on experience at the position we'll see Kostin in this spot at the WJC, at least on a trial basis. But Shen's a solid prospect and he's handling this role well and would be a great plan b and establishing decent chemistry, though I'd personally call him the 3rd wheel on that line.
Unless Kostin somehow developed into a center in the AHL I doubt that.

And obviously Shen is not put in this role by Bragin for nothing. It's just there isn't a real 1C among russian prospects for god knows how long.

Shen will probably carve out a decent career at least in the KHL if all goes as planned.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver

Loved this pick at the time and love it even more now. Absolutely lethal in the offensive zone and his skating and strength on the puck are fantastic. Reminds me so much of Pettersson the way he weaves through the ice and uses his head to make defenders miss. Seems to always be open and ready to make a play when he gets the puck. Unreal prospect. Definitely one of my favorites to come out of the 2018 draft.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Unless Kostin somehow developed into a center in the AHL I doubt that.

And obviously Shen is not put in this role by Bragin for nothing. It's just there isn't a real 1C among russian prospects for god knows how long.

Shen will probably carve out a decent career at least in the KHL if all goes as planned.

I know for a fact he was playing center at 2016, and he was playing some centre last year for the Rampage, especially near the end of the year. This isn't his thread so I'll stop at this, but We'll see what St. Louis really wants for his future as they now have full control over his play. I really think there's a strong possibility we see Kravtsov being centered by Kostin.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I know for a fact he was playing center at 2016, and he was playing some centre last year for the Rampage, especially near the end of the year. This isn't his thread so I'll stop at this, but We'll see what St. Louis really wants for his future as they now have full control over his play. I really think there's a strong possibility we see Kravtsov being centered by Kostin.

No he wasn't, you can check his face-off stats, those are available.

Returning to Kravtsov, in this tournament he was centered by Shen and I guess it didn't look too bad except for the face-offs, so probably it is gonna stay that way for at least their next tournament.

Big question is about that 'next tournament' - i'm not sure that Traktor will let him go to the CAN/RUS Series for two weeks.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad