RW Vitaly Kravtsov (2018, 9th, NYR; traded to VAN) Part2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Again I feel it's important to point out that Kravtsov wanted to come over as soon as possible and was himself pushing hard for it. If we want to say the Rangers should have shown more restraint and forced him to go back that's one thing, but they also didn't force him to leave the KHL before he felt ready since he was trying hard on his own to get signed and over to NA.
I think the lack of transfer agreement does play a role here because NHL teams want to have control over their prospects development and would rather sign a player than lose ability to do anything with them for 3 years or whatever when they re-sign with their KHL team. Again though I think you have to take into account Kravtsov's own desires and role in this.

I generally agree. I don't only blame Kravtsov. The team needs to take responsibility, as well. Just like with Andersson coming to NA half a season after being drafted, which was probably too early, the same can be said for Kravtsov. If you are going to draft all these European prospects playing in pro leagues in Europe, I think you have to have more comfort with letting them develop in the environments that got them drafted where they were drafted. The Rangers should've taken more of a Lundkvist approach with Kravtsov than an Andersson approach.

The coming back and putting his head down and working and drawing praise from the AHL coaching staff shows growth and maturity though, which we shouldn't discount either.

I don't even disagree, but I also think that everything is forgotten. It probably will and should take more than doing and saying the right things for half a season to get back in the good graces of the organization and fans. It would also help if he could start producing like a 9th OA pick. His lack of great production last season where he dominates AHL/KHL exacerbates all the off-ice stuff. It's a lot of the same that can be said about Andersson. A team is much more willing to ignore an off-ice controversy if the player is producing like a star on-ice (DeAngelo).

I doubt they will re-sign Fast at this point (probably don't have the cap room) and we have yet to see what roster moves may be made this offseason but Buchnevich is a possibility to be moved for various reasons (I kind of think they'll wait on that one but if the right deal pops up then I think they won't hesitate), but Kravtsov will be competing with players like Gauthier and Letteri for the 3rd line RW spot, and third lines these days aren't just "checking lines". In general, if he shows up as the best player in camp for that spot then he'll win it regardless of what he did in the AHL. If he doesn't, he'll need more time in the AHL. I'm not "handing" him a spot but I am saying there is an opportunity for him depending on what happens with roster building this offseason.

This is where I disagree. I just don't see the spot for Kravtsov, and given his 19-20 season, there's no way the team should be planning to go into the season with Kravtsov on the NHL team. If he dominates at Traktor and is recalled because of it to take a spot on the NHL team, you figure everything out at that point. However, even if you don't re-sign Fast or trade Buchnevich, you still have players like Lafreniere, Kakko, Gauthier, Lemieux that are going to be competing for time in the top 9. I think all of those guys are more proven and better right now than Kravtsov. And its hard to believe that the Rangers won't bring in at least 1-2 good veterans for the fourth line, along with any spot available for players like Howden, McKegg, Di Giuseppe.

The way things are going, there might not be a place for Kravtsov in the top 9, even if he does turn things around. If Buch is kept and/or players like Gauthier/Lemieux emerge as consistent 2nd/3rd line players in the next season, there's probably not going to be a spot available. At this point, it's not even clear that Kravtsov gets to the NHL sooner than wingers like Barron or Pajuniemi.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is where I disagree. I just don't see the spot for Kravtsov, and given his 19-20 season, there's no way the team should be planning to go into the season with Kravtsov on the NHL team.

I agree they shouldn't be "planning" on it. Perhaps my wording caused some issue here, I don't expect him to be the default option or anything I just think there's an opportunity for him.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Gauthier, Lemieux that are going to be competing for time in the top 9. I think all of those guys are more proven and better right now than Kravtsov. And its hard to believe that the Rangers won't bring in at least 1-2 good veterans for the fourth line, along with any spot available for players like Howden, McKegg, Di Giuseppe.

Lafreniere and Lemieux play the LW, Kakko of course is ahead of him. I think Gauthier is his direct competition. Howden is likely still pegged for the 4th line but as an option to move up if neededd. McKegg is an UFA, DiGuiseppe is a RFA but also a LW.

The way things are going, there might not be a place for Kravtsov in the top 9, even if he does turn things around. If Buch is kept and/or players like Gauthier/Lemieux emerge as consistent 2nd/3rd line players in the next season, there's probably not going to be a spot available. At this point, it's not even clear that Kravtsov gets to the NHL sooner than wingers like Barron or Pajuniemi.

There's an opportunity for him as of now, that's all.

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
I agree they shouldn't be "planning" on it. Perhaps my wording caused some issue here, I don't expect him to be the default option or anything I just think there's an opportunity for him.

Lafreniere and Lemieux play the LW, Kakko of course is ahead of him. I think Gauthier is his direct competition. Howden is likely still pegged for the 4th line but as an option to move up if neededd. McKegg is an UFA, DiGuiseppe is a RFA but also a LW.

There's an opportunity for him as of now, that's all.

He's there for the duration of KHL season. I don't want him jerked around like he was last year. Tractor is not a development team for NYR. If there is a risk NYR would recall him, Tractor will put him on 4th line and not worry about playing him; with knowledge that he's there for full season and playoffs he should get plenty of playing time. He's young and playing another year in KHL will not hurt. I like this solution; it works for everyone Tractor, NYR and esp Kravtoz

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Idk the kid first I remember was like 6'1 around draft time or just before and now he is mostly listed at 6'4. So he has still been developing physically while developing his game, most other prospects his age are not dealing with that.

At the draft combine he was measured at 6'3" though.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I generally agree. I don't only blame Kravtsov. The team needs to take responsibility, as well. Just like with Andersson coming to NA half a season after being drafted, which was probably too early, the same can be said for Kravtsov. If you are going to draft all these European prospects playing in pro leagues in Europe, I think you have to have more comfort with letting them develop in the environments that got them drafted where they were drafted. The Rangers should've taken more of a Lundkvist approach with Kravtsov than an Andersson approach.

I don't even disagree, but I also think that everything is forgotten. It probably will and should take more than doing and saying the right things for half a season to get back in the good graces of the organization and fans. It would also help if he could start producing like a 9th OA pick. His lack of great production last season where he dominates AHL/KHL exacerbates all the off-ice stuff. It's a lot of the same that can be said about Andersson. A team is much more willing to ignore an off-ice controversy if the player is producing like a star on-ice (DeAngelo).

This is where I disagree. I just don't see the spot for Kravtsov, and given his 19-20 season, there's no way the team should be planning to go into the season with Kravtsov on the NHL team. If he dominates at Traktor and is recalled because of it to take a spot on the NHL team, you figure everything out at that point. However, even if you don't re-sign Fast or trade Buchnevich, you still have players like Lafreniere, Kakko, Gauthier, Lemieux that are going to be competing for time in the top 9. I think all of those guys are more proven and better right now than Kravtsov. And its hard to believe that the Rangers won't bring in at least 1-2 good veterans for the fourth line, along with any spot available for players like Howden, McKegg, Di Giuseppe.

Aside from Kakko and Lafreniere if Kravtsov isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the players mentioned he should retire now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Aside from Kakko and Lafreniere if Kravtsov isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the players mentioned he should retire now.

I don't know what you are talking about. Lemieux is a middle of the league NHL'er. Gauthier has shown good flashes, and will probably end up as a 2nd or 3rd liner once he gets more playing time.

Kravtsov may never turn into a top 6 NHL'er, and if he's not that, middle 6 is probably the worst he can be and still play in the NHL. Bottom 6 or 4th line isn't going to cut it because he's as finesse as they come.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He's there for the duration of KHL season. I don't want him jerked around like he was last year. Tractor is not a development team for NYR. If there is a risk NYR would recall him, Tractor will put him on 4th line and not worry about playing him; with knowledge that he's there for full season and playoffs he should get plenty of playing time. He's young and playing another year in KHL will not hurt. I like this solution; it works for everyone Tractor, NYR and esp Kravtoz

Kinda weird info about it all, NYR have confirmed they can recall him if they want to, but I suspect the agreement with Tractor is basically "yeah we'd like him to play for you all year since we don't know what's up with the NHL season", but if they really demanded it they could technically call him back. That might result in a shit show contract slap fight between the two teams/leagues though depending on what the agreement actually is.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia

looked really good in his first game back

Actually this game was as awful as first or second preseason game by both teams. Very poor performance by literally every single player. It obviously happened due to problems during training camps caused by covid, so I am not blaming hockey players at this moment. Just wanted to say that the first analysis of Kravtsov's game should wait a bit.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Actually this game was as awful as first or second preseason game by both teams. Very poor performance by literally every single player. It obviously happened due to problems during training camps caused by covid, so I am not blaming hockey players at this moment. Just wanted to say that the first analysis of Kravtsov's game should wait a bit.

Missed the 1st, didn’t get a shift until 7 minutes into the 2nd. That shift was a mess, but after that he started doing all the right things on either wing.

Still not strong on the puck, still can’t be a net front presence. Not blaming him, just assessing him at this point in time.

If he tries to play like that consistently, with another 5kg he can be an effective NHL player.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
The year in KHL should be good for Kravstov. He was over-drafted and held to unreasonable expectations...in part to blame on one great playoff series in his draft year (good lesson in sample sizes btw). View him as possible bottom-six guy and if he can net a few pucks, that's gravy. But figuring him into NYR's long-term top-six is a mistake. He is not that player.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
True but his numbers are not encouraging.

That are not DISCOURAGING

last year was a bit tumultuous, but he seems to have gotten his head right.

Still a HUGE part of Rangers future

Still arguably top 5 prospect behind Lafreniere, Kakko, Igor and Chytil.

Could be 6th if you prefer Lundkvist over Vitali

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
That are not DISCOURAGING

last year was a bit tumultuous, but he seems to have gotten his head right.

Still a HUGE part of Rangers future

Still arguably top 5 prospect behind Lafreniere, Kakko, Igor and Chytil.

Could be 6th if you prefer Lundkvist over Vitali

I dont think theres many people who have Kravtsov over Nils at this point

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The year in KHL should be good for Kravstov. He was over-drafted and held to unreasonable expectations...in part to blame on one great playoff series in his draft year (good lesson in sample sizes btw). View him as possible bottom-six guy and if he can net a few pucks, that's gravy. But figuring him into NYR's long-term top-six is a mistake. He is not that player.
His D+1 season had him ranked as one of the top prospects in hockey. This is ridiculous, he can absolutely become a top 6 player

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
His D+1 season had him ranked as one of the top prospects in hockey. This is ridiculous, he can absolutely become a top 6 player

It wasn’t that good. There were people trying to manipulate his numbers to include ridiculous things like point shares to suggest he’s as good as Tarasenko or Kuznetsov. His raw numbers didn’t put him there.

I do agree he can be top six, but the crazy perception of his D+1 is part of the why he’s at this point. It seems like he’s a kid that reads a lot of media, and some ballooned him into a level of prospect he didn’t ever really show for their own selfish reasons.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It wasn’t that good. There were people trying to manipulate his numbers to include ridiculous things like point shares to suggest he’s as good as Tarasenko or Kuznetsov. His raw numbers didn’t put him there.

I do agree he can be top six, but the crazy perception of his D+1 is part of the why he’s at this point. It seems like he’s a kid that reads a lot of media, and some ballooned him into a level of prospect he didn’t ever really show for their own selfish reasons.

Craig Button, notes Rangers homer / HFboards reader .

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I thought the same thing haha. His next tweet was even better. Like it was some silky smooth goal
It is against the arguably worst D in the league that was sleepwalking there. So yeah, I am eager to see Kravtsov make some plays against better teams.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

First, his 'ranking' does nothing if he cannot play up to that level. Second, many of the people ranking have walked back their expectations. And lastly, my point was that he had not done anything to deserve to be ranked so high (other than one great playoff series) and it may have been to his detriment....lower expectations enough and he will eventually exceed them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad