RW Valeri Nichushkin (2013, 10th overall, Dallas) II

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Agreed. Nuke, Lindholm, and Monahan would be ranked above the top 5 this year, and if we used hindsight Mantha as well. I have guys like Horvat, Nurse, and Risto in the top 5, or just outside it.

Wow that is just horrible. Horvat in hindsight wouldn't be a top 10 pick in this draft most likely. Nurse would probably be picked in and around the same spot. Risto maybe higher.

Who you really overrate here is the first three players you mentioned. I like Sam Bennett more than I liked Monahan in the OHL. Reinhart is probably the better prospect too. Hard to compare with Ekblad and Dal Colle, MDC who I think has a higher upside than Monahan, same with Draisaitl. Lindholm is iffy, he had a injury riddled up and down season. But if you're going off pre-draft, then he would have been top 3. Who knows about Nichushkin? He is a Russian after all.

The thing with this draft is there is no potential superstar. The only guys for sure taken first over the top 5 in this upcoming draft are Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, and probably Barkov.

BJD

May 26, 2011
What do you mean?

He is pretty much day-to-day now after his surgery, should be back within playing full-time within 5 days.
Yea he was one of my players to watch this season and it sucks he got hurt. Didn't expect him to be out this long

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
10 times out of 10.

Nichushkin is a better player and its not even close. Come see me after next season when Nuke proves it - He's a generational talent, a lot of people's heads are still too thick to realize it. When people look back in the draft in 5 years, its going to be evident that Nuke should have went 1 or 2.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Nichushkin is a better player and its not even close. Come see me after next season when Nuke proves it - He's a generational talent, a lot of people's heads are still too thick to realize it. When people look back in the draft in 5 years, its going to be evident that Nuke should have went 1 or 2.

What? :laugh:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

Generational you say...

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
Still.....he's the closest thing to Malkin and Ovy since them! But won't say he's a generationnal talent.
IMO, if we look at his first season after the draft, he may had the best season of all the 2013 draft behind Mackinnon. Who knows what kind of season he would had if not the injury?! Espacially with the kind of season guys like Seguin and Benn have...

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Still.....he's the closest thing to Malkin and Ovy since them! But won't say he's a generationnal talent.
IMO, if we look at his first season after the draft, he may had the best season of all the 2013 draft behind Mackinnon. Who knows what kind of season he would had if not the injury?! Espacially with the kind of season guys like Seguin and Benn have...

He's not even as good as Tarasenko or Semin or Datsyuk. He is no where near Malkin and Ovechkin and never will be that is laughable.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
yep, the longer he's out the bolder their statements become. it looks kinda stupid to me. i wanna see a full season from nuke before coming to any sort of conclusion.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Can't agree with this. Reinhart > Monahan for starters

Making implications before they even make the NHL. Yeah, a kid that managed 1 assist in his 9 game tryout is obviously better than the kid that has scored over 50 goals in two NHL seasons.

Some people.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Making implications before they even make the NHL. Yeah, a kid that managed 1 assist in his 9 game tryout is obviously better than the kid that has scored over 50 goals in two NHL seasons.

Some people.

Isn't that what you do with 'prospects" and young players? I may not agree with this but I see no reason why this couldn't be argued when talking about a possible future. Reinhart may in the end have a better career than Monahan.

As far as Nichushkin goes, Jaromir Jagr said that he will be the 'best in the world one day', which is certainly possible, and best in the world would make him the best player of his generation, so generational??

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
He's not even as good as Tarasenko or Semin or Datsyuk. He is no where near Malkin and Ovechkin and never will be that is laughable.

Never said that he would become Malkin or Ovy, I said he was the closest thing to them since!

In terms of physic and skill, he is in the same class of Malkin and Ovy for sure. The difference is in the hockey IQ but hey, he's young! No one can predict how he'll develop.
Like I said, he's not a generational talent but I won' t be surprise if he become the next russian star.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

Horvat looks like a elite 2C, 2C at the least if not elite. He is playing with 3rd/4th liners and has 23 points for a two-way player. Also he has done well on faceoffs for his rookie year, good PK, can set up plays and knows where to go. Love the guy.

Not saying Nuke is a bad player but he needs to prove first, two different players anyways. Nuke has to prove he is going to put up 60-70 pts in his prime.

Primetimey*

Horvat looks like a elite 2C, 2C at the least if not elite. He is playing with 3rd/4th liners and has 23 points for a two-way player. Also he has done well on faceoffs for his rookie year, good PK, can set up plays and knows where to go. Love the guy.

Not saying Nuke is a bad player but he needs to prove first, two different players anyways. Nuke has to prove he is going to put up 60-70 pts in his prime.

Holy jumpin'. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

They need a #Bias emoticon on this board.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Yeah I like Horvat too but Val Nich is not the only one who still needs to prove himself. when talking elite status.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Isn't that what you do with 'prospects" and young players? I may not agree with this but I see no reason why this couldn't be argued when talking about a possible future. Reinhart may in the end have a better career than Monahan.

As far as Nichushkin goes, Jaromir Jagr said that he will be the 'best in the world one day', which is certainly possible, and best in the world would make him the best player of his generation, so generational??

While not quite that high it's worth noting that Jagr once heaped similar praise on Aleksei Morozov, as Pittsburgh next star player when him and Lemieux were gone.

Anyways it's always unfortunate seeing a promising young player miss an entire year. I think it's safe to say though that while he gets touted as the next great Russian as a teenager Nichushkin isn't in the same category that Ovechkin, Malkin, or Kovalchuk were. He could always develop into something more but going by Russians he's probably more comparable to guys like Morozov or Radulov - dominant in Russia, but second tier talent in the NHL.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
While not quite that high it's worth noting that Jagr once heaped similar praise on Aleksei Morozov, as Pittsburgh next star player when him and Lemieux were gone.

Anyways it's always unfortunate seeing a promising young player miss an entire year. I think it's safe to say though that while he gets touted as the next great Russian as a teenager Nichushkin isn't in the same category that Ovechkin, Malkin, or Kovalchuk were. He could always develop into something more but going by Russians he's probably more comparable to guys like Morozov or Radulov - dominant in Russia, but second tier talent in the NHL.
lumping together morozov and radulov is sheer incompetence. you don't know what you are talking about here. i'm very high on nuke, i really am, but no way in hell he'll be as good as rads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad