RW Valeri Nichushkin (2013, 10th overall, Dallas) II

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Looks like it's Nieminen who's going around spreading rumours then, what a stand up guy he seems to be.

I remember Damien Cox doing with this Grigorenko too. These guys should get a taste of their own medicine one day.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Come on... What is stated there "well, there such kind of thoughts in Russia. a lot of people say that". Seems very reliable. I'm 100% sure that if Barkov had played juniors in Russia, everyone would've questioned his age.

Same thing with one of my friends who had to carry his passport with him to games because the officials wouldn't believe his was as young as the other players. He was big for his age and very dominant in juniors.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Like i said i don't want to make any case on here and i wouldn't say nothing about Nieminen. He is well respect player, a captain on his team he sure don't just make stuff up, heck maybe he didin't even meant it that way..

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Like i said i don't want to make any case on here and i wouldn't say nothing about Nieminen. He is well respect player, a captain on his team he sure don't just make stuff up, heck maybe he didin't even meant it that way..

Yeah, he plays here in my hometown. So I see him a lot in games, news, interviews and at the arena. I would have to guess he said it with a sh****** of sarcasm.

His best bud Barkov and Nuke are in the same wagon here. Hard to believe they are 18 (skill, size etc)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong becasue I don't have any sources on this but I thought part of the reason he dropped was because of his requirement to be garunteed a roster spot. I seem to remember him making his feelings clear that if a team intended for him to develop in the AHL then he would stay in the KHL.

I have mixed feelings about it becuase you really don't want to see a prospect put stipulations on their path to the big show, but at the same time who can blame these guys the way some organizations have mishandled star prospects and bury them in the AHL for reasons unclear to most. If a player is looking to be a star in an overseas leauge the threat of AHL salary and development stagnation would be a huge deterant for me too.

Teams could have passed so high in the draft not wanting to allow a prospect to dictate the terms of their development and for fear of another Kuznetzov like situation if he stayed in the KHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Correct me if I am wrong becasue I don't have any sources on this but I thought part of the reason he dropped was because of his requirement to be garunteed a roster spot. I seem to remember him making his feelings clear that if a team intended for him to develop in the AHL then he would stay in the KHL.

I have mixed feelings about it becuase you really don't want to see a prospect put stipulations on their path to the big show, but at the same time who can blame these guys the way some organizations have mishandled star prospects and bury them in the AHL for reasons unclear to most. If a player is looking to be a star in an overseas leauge the threat of AHL salary and development stagnation would be a huge deterant for me too.

Teams could have passed so high in the draft not wanting to allow a prospect to dictate the terms of their development and for fear of another Kuznetzov like situation if he stayed in the KHL.

I think it was an option. So perhaps that's why Dallas was so patient about him when he didn't look that great at all at the season's begining. But as I understand now the club is very happy about Nichushkin, so the tactics has worked out.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX

It wasnt his requirement. he currently has a 2 year contract with his KHL team. he only way his KHL team would let him out of that contract was if he was in the NHL. It wasnt Nichushkin's decision, its in his KHL contract and its an agreement between the Stars and his KHL team.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
It wasnt his requirement. he currently has a 2 year contract with his KHL team. he only way his KHL team would let him out of that contract was if he was in the NHL. It wasnt Nichushkin's decision, its in his KHL contract and its an agreement between the Stars and his KHL team.
if i'm not mistaken his agent actually said it was a handshake agreement with dynamo and then added that in his line of work such an agreement is more binding than an actual contract and blah, blah, blah.
but it's all semantics, they rejected the ahl from the get go.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Thanks I have been curious about the details and that sounds more like it. Bottom line I think this is what mostly impacted his draft stock, not the so called russian factor. About a month before the draft he confirmed he would come over on this arrangement. Who ever drafted him had to commit fully because we was going to make it out of camp or go back the KHL.

Had he not confirmed he would come over on an agreement he would have fell much further IMO

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
Recently Bill Meltzer compared the line of Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin to the Flyers' old Legion of Doom with the size, speed and talent of the line. After watching them a lot this season, they are blossoming into one of the scariest lines I've seen in awhile. They have the ability to take control of a game and change the flow of it. I'm not even a Dallas fan but this line is turning me into one. Dallas fans should be very excited about them.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Recently Bill Meltzer compared the line of Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin to the Flyers' old Legion of Doom with the size, speed and talent of the line. After watching them a lot this season, they are blossoming into one of the scariest lines I've seen in awhile. They have the ability to take control of a game and change the flow of it. I'm not even a Dallas fan but this line is turning me into one. Dallas fans should be very excited about them.

they needed 2-3 years for it

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Wow, interesting to see rumours about Nichushkin's age here, on NA forum. It all usually comes from Russia. Well, all I can say - there were never any rumours about him here, in Russia. I've read almost about every talented russian player that he is older indeed, just like about Grigs, Yakupov, Slepyshev and even about Ovechkin and Kovalchuk but never read smthng like that about Nichushkin. Its all because of his hockey biography - it is very clear. And he was always very big guy, he was about 188 cm at age of 13 or 14, nothing strange here because his father as well as his mother is very tall.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Yeah I think the whole thing went a little bit through the old "lost in transition" wormhole.

Nichushkin says he's only coming over to North America if he gets an NHL spot, because he has an agreement with his team from home saying that he can only leave his contract if that circumstance is met.

Media and posters see it and assume he is trying to to dictate the terms of his development, and he's just another full of himself player etc.

It's all spin

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Wow, interesting to see rumours about Nichushkin's age here, on NA forum. It all usually comes from Russia. Well, all I can say - there were never any rumours about him here, in Russia. I've read almost about every talented russian player that he is older indeed, just like about Grigs, Yakupov, Slepyshev and even about Ovechkin and Kovalchuk but never read smthng like that about Nichushkin. Its all because of his hockey biography - it is very clear. And he was always very big guy, he was about 188 cm at age of 13 or 14, nothing strange here because his father as well as his mother is very tall.

It is strange. 1995 is far enough away from the collapse of the Soviet Union, that the issues of birth date and less than concrete paperwork really shouldn't be that sort of issue anymore.

But good to hear that those rumours are completely unsubstantiated in Russia and haven't really been heard over there.

MetalGodAOD*

Nichushkin recently did a great interview with the Russian media, which a HF poster has been very kind to translate for us. Some great stuff in here:

so i promissed and i did it. its the translation of the interview that i posted yesterday. sorry for my english, but i hope its better than google translate.

What do you feel about the words that Jaromir Jagr said about you? He is the legend. He had win the Stanley Cup two times, three and four years before you was born. Did you hear that words?
(looks embarrassed) certainly heard. Its nice, but its too early to speak about it, but I will try.
What are your ambitions? To be the best in the world?
I think that every good sportsmen should have that thoughts.
And if you was told in summer that you will be playing in Dallas Stars first line? Could you believe it?
I don’t know. I started the season badly. At some point, to be honest, it was hard. But then somehow I got out of this situation and now its getting better. I had no plans at the start, I just wanted to earn the spot in the team. And now certainly its great that I am playing in the first line, playing big minutes and coaches trust me.
At some point Mikhail Varnakov (head coach of Russian Junior Team) even sent a request for your participation in WJC. He thought that you will not play big role in Dallas this year. How do you explain to yourself that everything was suddenly turned upside down?
The head coach saw that I began to play better. It happened after the seventh or eighth game when I started to create chances, but cant score. It was before the first line.
Nerves?
No, just unlucky. And then I scored and appeared in the first line.
And what about the dinner with Lindy Ruff on which you were invited? Was it one on one?
Yes. I do not know why are you pay so much attention to that. He just wanted to talk with me. I haven’t seen my parents for a long time, with whom I could talk, played badly…it was difficult moment in my life. I was not good in practice and Ruff noticed that, noticed that I was nervous and invited me to the dinner. We were sitting and talking, he encouraged me…
What you were talking about?
He told me about his life, I told him about mine. About family…..it was funny. And there were no words about games.
How is your English?
Not good. I understand nearly everything, but sometimes its hard to speak. In summer I had a teacher, but now I have no time.
Jim Nill Said that “Lindy and Val like dad and son”…
(smiling) I think we have good relations, but if you want to know more you should ask the coach.
Lindy Ruff is an oldschool Canadian coach, and is known as not a big fan of Russian style of play. But he treats you the other way.
I don’t know why russian players cant play in Ruff”s teams. I do not feel that he treat me biased.
that's for sure, cause you are playing in the first line. So every night you are playing against the top lines? Which of them are the strongest?
Well, today we were playing against San Jose. It was really hard. But you know there is no easy games. Nearly every game is a one goal game, and only in the end you will know who wins.
When you couldnt score during the first 12 games, what did you feel, think about the returning to Russia?
Yeah, I have had such thoughts. But I just worked harder every day, believed that one day it will be ok. When you work – it always comes.
You scored your first NHL goal in the 13th game. Baker's dozen – is it your lucky number?
I didn’t think about it
And what about your number 43?
Its my number from juniors. I have a reason but I don’t wanna tell you (smiling)
Malkin’s father told me that if there is no Sergei Gonchar in team, his son come back to Russia. Is it hard for you too?
Sergei helps me a lot. But I don’t want to come back. Because the whole team supports me. To be honest I don’t even expect that I will be there. We have a big competition for free spots and even tonight we have two scratched forwards.
Everyone told me that in NHL veterans joke over young. But not in our team. Even when I couldn’t score the first NHL goal, teammates came to me, supported, prompted
With Sergei Gonchar now you have “Chelyabinsk brotherhood”?
Yes. I talk with him a lot, more than with other guys. Sometimes we have dinner together
When you play road games, do you live with him?
Ofcourse not. Sergei – alone, I – with the young guys.
And if you come back, you will not play in your hometown team Traktor, but in Dynamo? Did it stops you?
Yeah, for sure. If it was Traktor - may be, but not now. Don’t wanna think about it. Think I will never come back.
May be now you can tell us something about that trade?
Lets just forget about it
Valery Belousov, your former coach now is an assistant coach in Russia Olympic Team. Do you think it gives you more chances to play in Sochi?
From my childhood I told myself that everything in my life depends on me. What bothers me to score in every game? If I will do that – I will have a chance. An if I will sit and wait that Valery Belousov will help me – it’s bul***it.
But anyway?
I don’t know, he is not a head coach
But how do you think, you have a big chances?
If I will play like tonight (against SJ) – I have zero chances. And if like in the last games – I have some.
Will you be upset, if will not play in Sochi? Or you think that you young enough to earn the invitation?
I’ll be upset anyway. In the beginning of the season I only thought about it, but now, when people began to talk…I heard that the head coach will follow me, watch my games. Ofcourse I want to go there
Russian coaches talked to you about it?
No.
And may be you discussed this with Ruff, one of the coaches of Team Canada?
No. we don’t talk about it, we have games every day
In US You are living in a family, is it your choise or a team?
That family in good relations with a team. It’s a hockey family. Nice people. Father is a businessman, his son is playing hockey, two daughters are studying and his wife is housewife. I feel comfortable with them.
Did you have “dinner of the rookies”? Ready for the test?
No, I just didn’t think about it (smileing)
But maybe in summer you thought a lot, stay or not. Your former teammate Evgeni Kuznetsov was drafted three years ago, but still playing in Chelyabinsk. Why did you want to leave so early?
When I began to feel myself more comfortable in big hockey. To be honest, I thought that will play another year in Russia, for Traktor, but after the trade, decided to go away
And never thought that it was wrong decision?
When it was hard - sometimes I thought that may be its too early for me. I felt good but something went wrong. But now its ok, even in battles.
The final of the Gagarin Cup, the battle for you between Traktor and under-18 team, words of Tretiak in Cheliabinsk dressingroom, that you will stay with the team for the end of the series. Did you left all of this in another life?
Sure no. im upsed that we lost in the final. we had a good team. It was my first year in big hockey. I will remember it forever
When the head coach Russian under-18 team Igor Kravchuk said: “Putin will ask me: Where is Nichuschkin? – what shall I answer him?!” - your jaw have not fallen off?
Everyone knows its a joke. I didn’t play in just one game
Gonchar told me that sooner or later you will have the test of fame and money. Are you ready?
I think so. i don’t think about money. I just coming out and play. I wanna play more. Everywhere.
Your solo “from the wing to the net” in Traktor and Junior team it seems like early Valery Kamensky style. And what was your favorite player?
I had no favorite player. I didn’t watch TV at all. I was training and that’s all. I liked to play with the puck without any heroes.
You was drafted just 10th overall. Do you want to prove something to the teams that passed you over?
I didn’t think about it. Tenth – well, ok. I knew that will not be in the top-3, because NHL teams afraid to choose russians. In some way I am here spite them. I know they were disappointed, that didn’t choose me before. Now I am playing and want to prove that I am the best
If you could choose “Calder Trophy” or the spot in Russian Olympic Team, what will you choose?
(Answer came instantly, without the slightest hesitation) Olympic ofcourse! (he said that and began to laugh because the answer was so obvious for him)

http://www.championat.com/hockey/article-184541-nichushkin--ob-otezde-v-nkhl-dallase-i-sbornoj.html

Hope4thebest

May 22, 2014
Where would Nichushkin go in this year draft?

As the title says, i wonder if this year top 5 is ahead of him or not.
Granted, he has already proven something but if we were to evaluate him without the NHL experience. Based only on what we saw of him last year. Would he compare favorably whit Reinhart, Ekbal and Bennett?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I would probably put him right behind strongest 5 of the draft, Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I would probably put him right behind strongest 5 of the draft, Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl.

I think he was 4th or 5th in CSS final ranking last year. As this draft class is weaker he would be ranked higher than this year but might drop to 5/6th because of the Russian factor.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At this moment any one of Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennett could go first overall. If you added Nichushkin to this draft, I think you'd have to expand that list to four names.

Hope4thebest

May 22, 2014
Bennett
Ekblad
Reinhart
Nichushkin/Draisaitl
Dal Colle

that's how I see it

This is similar to what i tought. But Draisaitl is really a question mark for me. He seem to have a really high ceilling but some bust factor. I'm really not a scout by any mean but i tend to prefer Hockey IQ to physical abilities.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
If Nichushkin didn't have the Russian factor, i would take him over anybody available in this draft. His nationality drags him down of course, relative to the draft, at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad