RW Sergei Tolchinsky - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2013 undrafted; CAR signed)

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
saw him the other night, by the looks of it he's on the 2nd PP. was played sparingly at times. Was easily the best player on the ice, lightning quick, made the defenceman fall 2 different times with super agile turns and drew 2 penalties. Super lightning quick hands, he even goes right through traffic. At times you think he is going to get killed, but he somehow gets through with his elusiveness. Takes a hell of a beating out there from the big guys, including a lot of stick work.
I haven't seen a player with lightning quick hands like his since Bure, just doesn't own Bure's foot speed.

Yeah his hands are ridiculous. Both of his goals from this game were crazy.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He looks dare I say Gaudreau-esque in the first period against London, looks fantastic.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
He looks about the same size as the other players on his team (almost even in goal hugs). I know they are all young, but so is he. Not really concerned about his size yet.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Many teams still put a big emphasis on size. I don't really get it. Canes like Salituro enough this year to invite him to their rookie camp but apparently not enough to use their 7th rounder on him. Instead, they drafted an overaged grinder who most guys who follow the OHL closely were surprised even got picked. I'd sooner take the super skilled but undersized guy over a big guy who's done nothing in his career and has shown nothing to suggest he'll ever be more than a 4th liner/ahl call up.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I really don't want to get hyped over this kid, because I still believe his size will prevent him from being an effective NHL player, but damn if he isn't making that difficult. :laugh:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I only wish he was part of a better organization, don't see him fitting well in Carolina's system. IMO this guy needs and deserves some leash, inevitable turnovers etc. cant end in this guy sitting on the bench.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I only wish he was part of a better organization, don't see him fitting well in Carolina's system. IMO this guy needs and deserves some leash, inevitable turnovers etc. cant end in this guy sitting on the bench.

Well I guess we might as well stop being excited, blueline bomber, as it's inevitable we're going to ruin him.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Small or not, I don't understand why no one would take a gamble on him with a late, late pick.

The odds of them panning out are so low, why not take the uber-skilled guy over the plugger with limited upside? You haven't really lost anything at that point.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
People realize the canes invited him to camp and then chose to sign him, right? I think they know what he's about and they still wanted him.

Yeah they also thought they new what Semin was all about too. Say what you want, but there isn't a team in the NHL worse which would result in Semin scoring < 6 goals :laugh: They run a crap show offense over there, not just Semin that had the bad year either. 1 guy made it >20goals this year and didn't even make it to 25. Need I say anymore? Uh ya, I do - Bill Peters, definitely not worthy of a head coaching job. And *cough, he was hired after Tolchinskys signing.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Yeah they also thought they new what Semin was all about too. Say what you want, but there isn't a team in the NHL worse which would result in Semin scoring < 6 goals :laugh: They run a crap show offense over there, not just Semin that had the bad year either. 1 guy made it >20goals this year and didn't even make it to 25. Need I say anymore? Uh ya, I do - Bill Peters, definitely not worthy of a head coaching job. And *cough, he was hired after Tolchinskys signing.

I'm sure you're just a Bill Peters expert, too.:shakehead

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Goodness me.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
To be honest... the NHL needs more players like this guy and less players like Anthony Peluso

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Well, it's all about the money now, I am sure Semin will have a new club soon

Your talking to a bunch of but hurt Canes fans. Semin will have a great bounce back team if he chooses a team for fit and not the biggest contract. Semin went from PPG player to a 6 goal guy under new coach Peters. Like I said, no players under Peters reign scored > 25 goals last season - that is the worst record in the league.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Yeah, unfortunate that he's in Carolina. Hope they change things up.

Your talking to a bunch of but hurt Canes fans. Semin will have a great bounce back team if he chooses a team for fit and not the biggest contract. Semin went from PPG player to a 6 goal guy under new coach Peters. Like I said, no players under Peters reign scored > 25 goals last season - that is the worst record in the league.

Why is this prospect thread turning into a Canes-bashing session?

Management, coaching staff, and fans are all excited about Tolchinsky.

Don't see the point of coming in this thread to cry about Semin's crappy year...why...because both players are skilled Russia's...really?

Only posters that seem to butt-hurt are you guys...everyone else posting here are just talking about the actual prospect and excited to see how his career will progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad