RW Sergei Tolchinsky - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2013 undrafted; CAR signed)

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I imagine your probably correct about this. Everyone always points to St. Louis and says it can be done but St. Louis is one of the freak physical specimens in the entire league, his legs are like tree trunks, and even though he's only 5'8, he's incredibly strong and well built at that height. I used to wonder how Mike Ricci had such a great career at his size, and then I saw him at the airport one day, randomly chasing his little kid around the terminal. He had the biggest a** and thickest thighs I've ever seen on a human being of that height, he looked like a walking tree stump.

agreed

Attachments

• Martin%20St_%20Louis.jpg
    Martin%20St_%20Louis.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 69

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He's at Canes camp this week. Unbelievable skillset. Its unconscionable that he went undrafted.

I agree, its strange that no one drafted him, yet 3 teams brought him to camp after the draft. It is imminent that he will eventually be signed/drafted. He has been spectacular at the NHL camps thus far. Teams probably waiting to see how badly he blows apart the OHL this year.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I was wondering myself why he didn't get drafted. Was the most impressive forward on the ice for the Greyhounds the few times I saw him.. knew his size would hurt him but I still thought someone would take him in the 6th or 7th. Amazing skill, but what isn't mentioned is his work ethic. Hounds pucks and doesn't shy away from physicality even though he's small. Hope he succeeds somewhere.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The guy might have all the skill in the world, but unfortunately size does matter and he didn't exactly blow minds with his numbers this year. Yeah, the kid has incredible hands, but he is generously listed at 5'7, 150 pounds. It didn't work for Gerbe and it probably won't work for Tolchinsky.

That may be true, but he is an order of magnitude more skilled than Gerbe at the same age

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Tolchinsky is a kid I'd take a stab at, regardless of his size. Every time I've seen him play (which is about 10 times now), he's done something on the ice. Sure, he's 5'7 160lbs soaking wet (and that's pushing it), but the kid has heart and wants this. I was really hoping Windsor would snag him last year in the Import draft, but it wasn't meant to be. When we play SSM, though, you can't miss the kid out there. He'll be the one creating plays at every chance he's given.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Are you sure? Gerbe scored 35 goals in 43 games in his final season at Boston College. I would consider that pretty damn skilled if you ask me.

Just wondering.

Gerbe was also 21 at the time and much more physically developed. Gerbe is short but he's always been a powerful guy. He used quick bursts of speed and strength on the puck a lot in college. Very skilled guy, but if Tolchinsky was 6' 180 he'd be a top 3 forward in this draft.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Has way quicker hands than Gerbe..

Who cares? Schremp and Omark have nifty mittens. Simon Gamache was a scoring machine in junior (143 points as an 18 year old, 184 points the following season). Chris Didomenico put up great numbers too. Dangles and points aren't everything. Size matters, work ethic matters, heart matters, skating matters, strength matters, IQ matters. Tolchinsky might be a feisty little highlight reel, but there's more to success than that. He wasn't drafted for a reason and unless he has a huge growth spurt, he likely won't be that good. Guys like St Louis and Fleury were the exceptions, people need to remember that.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Who cares? Schremp and Omark have nifty mittens. Simon Gamache was a scoring machine in junior (143 points as an 18 year old, 184 points the following season). Chris Didomenico put up great numbers too. Dangles and points aren't everything. Size matters, work ethic matters, heart matters, skating matters, strength matters, IQ matters. Tolchinsky might be a feisty little highlight reel, but there's more to success than that. He wasn't drafted for a reason and unless he has a huge growth spurt, he likely won't be that good. Guys like St Louis and Fleury were the exceptions, people need to remember that.

Not the same comparisons at all. Those guys don't have the same skill set as Tolchinsky. Please, if you haven't seen him play dont make these comparisons they are far off. Schremp is not even close - work ethic and slowness dogged him. He had lacrosse moves, but he did not have lightning quick reflexes/hands. There is a difference between making big moves and having quick hands/movements. Tolchinsky isn't comparable to a single guy you named.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Watched Tolchinsky 20 times this year in the Sault... Most exciting player since Trevor Daley (he was something to see in junior). Amazing speed, skill, hands and dekes... I hope he plays two more years of junior, he alone is worth the price of admission... Amazing work ethic and determination. Size is his downfall, but thats the only knock on him.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Tweets regarding Tolchinsky from the 'Canes camp:

"Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes 18 Jul

Tolchinsky just pulled a toe drag move that made both benches stand up. Ridiculous."

"Lets Go Canes.com ‏@lgc_com 18 Jul

Funny incident here at #developmentcamp, little Russian kid Tolchinsky wiped out Coach Kirk while doing drills. #ohno"

Tolchinsky has been quite alright in camp but his size is holding him back from getting that contract.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Would LOVE to see the Canes throw an ELC at him with how he's been in camp. I think we're somewhere around 45 contracts so we're not all that close to the contract limit since we're expected to make maybe 2 more signings this offseason.

If this kid was 6'1 instead of 5'7 he would have been at the very worst an early 2nd rounder.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Would LOVE to see the Canes throw an ELC at him with how he's been in camp. I think we're somewhere around 45 contracts so we're not all that close to the contract limit since we're expected to make maybe 2 more signings this offseason.

If this kid was 6'1 instead of 5'7 he would have been at the very worst an early 2nd rounder.

people got to understand he is skilled because he is small same with J. Gaudreau if they were 6'1 they would have a complete style.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Figured I'd bump this as I see he is 7th in the OHL in scoring with 11G, 10A through 11 games. For those that have seen him play numerous times, what is your take? Seeing how he's performed in Traverse City and in camp, the guy seems to have a lot of skill and seems to want to prove people wrong about not being drafted.

Skill level is obviously there, but is he a guy that can round out is game in a few years and be able to make the NHL?

Last edited:

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Figured I'd bump this as I see he is 7th in the OHL in scoring with 11G, 10A through 21 games. For those that have seen him play numerous times, what is your take? Seeing how he's performed in Traverse City and in camp, the guy seems to have a lot of skill and seems to want to prove people wrong about not being drafted.

Skill level is obviously there, but is he a guy that can round out is game in a few years and be able to make the NHL?

21 pts in 11 games*

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
I find it very strange that he wasn't drafted as well, he's small sure but he has great work ethic and great movement, and doesn't seem to have problems with psychicality. I really don't understand how someone didn't take a flier on him with a 5th +. Although honestly impressing at camp as an undrafted free agent might've been better for him in the long run

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
Figured I'd bump this as I see he is 7th in the OHL in scoring with 11G, 10A through 11 games. For those that have seen him play numerous times, what is your take?

Have seen him play this year. Only twice.

Dominates puck control and movement, especially in the offensive zone. Accurate shoot, and above average stickhandling. Very adept at lateral movement, positioning in the offensive zone, and utilizing teammates to produce points. Also very unselfish and enthusiastic player.

Also seen eagerness to fight for the puck, skated back and stripped the puck with his catch-up speed.

Never heard of him before I seen him play. Very hard not to notice this kid. All the tools, but only listed as 5'7". Defense in the OHL have a hard time controlling him, but the NHL might be a different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad