RW Rocco Grimaldi - US NTDP, USHL (2011, 33rd overall, Florida) -religion factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
I just checked his twitter as someone suggested and wow...

The cold fact is that guys like that just don't necessarily fit in that well. His awkward TSN interview about "making mistakes" doesn't make me think otherwise.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
he didn't come off like that at all when he was interviewed at the draft, but then again that was only a 30 second interview. I think it is more likely his size that scared teams off.

That's not what quite a few people around here are saying.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
This thread totally needs more jokes about him being religious............they're funny............

it's not about being religious or his religion itself. It's about his funny acting related to his religiousness (church or whatever it was on his tie etc.)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

The cold fact is that guys like that just don't necessarily fit in that well. His awkward TSN interview about "making mistakes" doesn't make me think otherwise.

I don't twitter, what's he saying?

Eleven

Solid As The Sun
Sep 22, 2009
Ohio

I missed the 'making mistakes' thing, what was that?

AntonRodin*

I don't understand how religion can possibly affect the way he plays...Can someone explain?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't understand how religion can possibly affect the way he plays...Can someone explain?

I don't think its a case how he plays on the ice, more how he gets along with his womanizing teammates off the ice and what effect that can have on the lockeroom.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

People here are hypothesizing he'll make his teammates hate him by being Preachy mcChurcherson and scolding them for doing things he doesn't approve of. However, they asked him about potential lifestyle differences and he said people make their own choices(not verbatim)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Oh my god will people give it a rest at possible lockeroom issues?

Mike Fisher is also intensely religious and he was regarded as a leader.

Troy Palamalu among many other examples in the other big 3 sports is extremely religious yet not a locker room issue.

Religion is not a locker room problem, teammates accept eachothers views.

space321

May 11, 2011
He said he won't pass judgement on how other people (namely his teammates) live their lives. He said "mistakes" but he quickly changed it and said he doesn't care if they drink or not ultimately. Doesn't sound to me that he's going to a problem in the locker room because of religion. He also mentioned his teammates will be like brothers on and off the ice.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Oh my god will people give it a rest at possible lockeroom issues?

Mike Fisher is also intensely religious and he was regarded as a leader.

Troy Palamalu among many other examples in the other big 3 sports is extremely religious yet not a locker room issue.

Religion is not a locker room problem, teammates accept eachothers views.

Wasn't there a bunch of rumors that Mike Fisher didn't get along with alot of his former teammates (many were traded). Plus this isn't football different demographic. Honestly I think he should go to Nashville just so him and Mike can share their strong beliefs amongst each other. Would probably be good for em both, plus a conservative place like Tennessee would be more open to that than say a lot of other places. Plus Nashville could use some of his offensive flair.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I'd love it if the Leafs would take a chance on him, and wouldn't care about his personal beliefs as long as he didn't try to convert Kadri or Brown. I've never really understood how teams can grill a guy on religion like they apparently did at the combine. When you think about it, the combine is just like a giant job interview, and it wouldn't be acceptable to ask someone about their religion in any other kind of job interview situation. Unless of course you're applying to be pope...

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
Really hate to say it but I truly think the overly religious attitude he has definately hindered his draft status.
He seems to outgoing with it...I bet a lot of GMs are worried what the locker room would be like

Stanley as in Cup

Jun 29, 2010
Funny how people think religion would be a cancer in the room and not guys that womanize and get sloshed after games etc... I would say he would be easy to get along with. If they feel that judged just by someone in the room then maybe they should consider their actions. It would be nice to see more guys in the league that had some sort of belief and professed it!

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
Don't mean to be a ***** but just from reading through his tweets I found this gem

RGrimaldi23 Rocco Grimaldi
My grad party is today. Should be a fun time #GradParty

I bet it ended at 8 after a thrilling game of Rumoli

His parents are probably happy he didn't get drafted by Phoenix...see BizNastys tweet...imagine it was Rocco

BizNasty2point0 Paul Bissonnette
#NHL congrats Connor Murphy. Yotes first round pick. Your already under my wing. Fake ID is being made as we speak. #McLovin or #muhammad?

Poor kid would probably already have retired

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I truly believe it has nothing to do with his religious beliefs that's absolutely ridiculous, it would be more due to his size. He definitely has first round talent, your taking a risk when taking a player that size. I do believe he won't pass the 2nd round.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Funny how people think religion would be a cancer in the room and not guys that womanize and get sloshed after games etc... I would say he would be easy to get along with. If they feel that judged just by someone in the room then maybe they should consider their actions. It would be nice to see more guys in the league that had some sort of belief and professed it!

religion wouldn't be a cancer for sure. The way some religious people act might be a cancer. I don't know if Grimaldi falls into that category, probably GM's know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad