RW Rocco Grimaldi - US NTDP, USHL (2011, 33rd overall, Florida) -religion factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whendogsdream

Jan 22, 2011
Long Island
Gets drafted to the Devils. Either retires or turns heel and becomes a satanist.

Really surprised no one has gone there yet. Truthfully I didn't see much wrong with what he said, and I have no strong religious leaning in any direction. I find the people that try and use their atheism as a claim to some sense of superiority just as annoying as the Jesus freaks.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Morality and the whole thing is subjective. I don't really see why drinking for example, as long is it doesn't hurt your play on the ice, is a bad thing. Same thing goes for sex before marriage.

He probably considers lots of things wrong that other people don't. Doesn't mean he is on a higher level of morality and a "better person" than other people. He only thinks he is.

I'm not going to get into an ethics debate here, but generally the reason society holds certain behavior as moral or immoral is because of consequences. Drinking and smoking and sex before marriage can have severe consequences which can be avoided by abstaining.

It is obvious to me that he takes his health and his life seriously.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He can believe in whatever he wants to, I don't have a problem with that.

What he went and said on tv is what makes him a tool. He may have said "People can do whatever", but you know he truly believes their mistakes and seems like he can't just let that go.

He seems pretty honest and straightforward. Why would he start lying now?

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
He said( though, not word for for word) that people who smoke and drink, and do stuff like that, that it's a mistake. Then realized what he said and corrected it. It's been said he preaches to his roommates and ****.

What would he do if Boudreau was his coach ? Is he going to break down and cry because Boudreau swears ?

Well, I'm sure to him it is a mistake. But IF he actually is preachy in the locker room then I imagine it could cause problems, assuming this is true, but you take the chance of locker room problems with every kid you draft, can never tell how they'll react to making millions of dollars, it's always a crapshoot.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
Interesting case study here. When a guy has a relentless work ethic and respects his body, he's a loon that teams should be scared off by. But if a prospect already has a history with alcohol and/or drugs, it's just something that he'll grow out of and not worth holding against him.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think the religion thing on its own isn't an issue. As mentioned, there have been several devoutly religious hockey players, and they haven't posed an issue in the locker room for the most part. One thing that raised a red flag, however, was when Bob McKenzie reported on what Rocco wants to be when he stops playing hockey: become a pastor. Serious evangelical Christians, such as Grimaldi............well............ever watched Jesus Camp?

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
How can the mods allow people to bash this guy just because of his religion?

When people did it about Kadri they were insta-banned....

There where posters who where calling a 15 year old kid explatives who where not disciplined, and I still am not sure why not.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
I don't get the problem with Grimaldi being a Christian.

James Reimer is a devout Christian, no one has a problem with him.

I don't think the problem is that he's extremely religious, there are a ton of extremely devout Christian players in the NHL, Mike Fisher, Shane Doan, Cam Ward, and, like you mentioned, James Reimer.

The problem is that Grimaldi comes across as a bit self righteous, and it couldn't be anymore evident than the "mistakes" slip he had. It's like he's more suited to be a Christian missionary rather than a hockey player. And since he was questioned about his religion affecting his workplace in the combine interviews, I wouldn't be surprised if some GMs do think that he will start proselytizing his religion in the locker room.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Interesting case study here. When a guy has a relentless work ethic and respects his body, he's a loon that teams should be scared off by. But if a prospect already has a history with alcohol and/or drugs, it's just something that he'll grow out of and not worth holding against him.

The hypocrisy is mind bottling.

Its bottling my mind.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Everyone shut up. Eric Staal has something to say, so does Jordan and Marc and when they are done, you will listen to Shane Doan.

Bunch of morons seriously. Two captains.

I would also suspect Ovi and Kovalchuk are Christian unless, Russians just really picked up on Christmas after 70 years of it being banned.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I don't have a problem with it per se, I just found the tie he was wearing to be hilarious

Well, you're entitled to your opinion of course. I didn't see the tie so I won't comment.

Although I will add that I think the best way to exhibit one's faith is by simply letting your actions do the talking, instead of self-righteous preaching, this coming from myself, a Christian. Of course I am not afraid to voice my personal convictions on matters though. Now let me be clear: I know nothing of Rocco Grimaldi, and I'm sure NO ONE on this board knows how he is in the locker room, so I'm also sure that NO ONE on this board knows whether he "preaches" to his team-mates or not.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
Everyone shut up. Eric Staal has something to say, so does Jordan and Marc and when they are done, you will listen to Shane Doan.

Bunch of morons seriously.

Don't forget about the retired guys like Adam Burt and Laurie Boschman. Oh, and the late, great Roger Neilson.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Wonder if he would have issues playing with Miroslav Satan?

Or if he played with Dupuis and on 24/7 (hbo) an Dupuis said hi guys and FU Girmaldi!

Or he played with daniel briere

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Well, you're entitled to your opinion of course. I didn't see the tie so I won't comment.

Although I will add that I think the best way to exhibit one's faith is by simply letting your actions do the talking, instead of self-righteous preaching, this coming from myself, a Christian. Of course I am not afraid to voice my personal convictions on matters though. Now let me be clear: I know nothing of Rocco Grimaldi, and I'm sure NO ONE on this board knows how he is in the locker room, so I'm also sure that NO ONE on this board knows whether he "preaches" to his team-mates or not.

The tie just had a bible verse on it, wasn't really 'hilarious'

Nic777

Nov 23, 2006
Okay, I'll stop. And as long as he's bringing out positive energy, everything'd be fine, but I'm sure some of the GMs were worried about him trying to push his views on other people.

I hope you realise that you are doing exactly what you are concerned he might be doing, "him trying to push his views on other people". And by the way, things in life are not always as simple as give me a proof that god exist, because you can't prove that he exist, and at the same time you can't proof that he does not. Posting a statement that religious people are ignorant is a proof of ignorance in itself.

But we should be talking about hockey, not the religious pov of Grimaldi and even less about yours.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I don't think the problem is that he's extremely religious, there are a ton of extremely devout Christian players in the NHL, Mike Fisher, Shane Doan, Cam Ward, and, like you mentioned, James Reimer.

The problem is that Grimaldi comes across as a bit self righteous, and it couldn't be anymore evident than the "mistakes" slip he had. It's like he's more suited to be a Christian missionary rather than a hockey player. And since he was questioned about his religion affecting his workplace in the combine interviews, I wouldn't be surprised if some GMs do think that he will start proselytizing his religion in the locker room.

Well I can certainly see your point, and as a Christian Grimaldi should, and probably does know that being humble is an important trait. But man, the kid is what, 18? I mean, man, I said some pretty dumb things when I was a teenager (not that long ago), and some things that I regret now. Now I don't know the exact quote or what he said, but I think it is pretty criminal that he is being gutted on here for it.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
He's obviously not shy about divulging his beliefs..

Religion SHOULD be a very personal thing. Putting yourself in a moral high chair is just going to piss a lot of people off. This may have worked in the 1600s when you could shoot someone in the face for not falling in line, but not anymore.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
I can see it now, he is on a winning team that won the cup and says, Sorry guys i cant drink out of the Stanley Cup cause i dont believe in drinking alcohol.:laugh:

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
Well I can certainly see your point, and as a Christian Grimaldi should, and probably does know that being humble is an important trait. But man, the kid is what, 18? I mean, man, I said some pretty dumb things when I was a teenager (not that long ago), and some things that I regret now. Now I don't know the exact quote or what he said, but I think it is pretty criminal that he is being gutted on here for it.

Nothing says "articulate" quite like being 18 and on TV across North America.

It's weird to think that a player last year was dropped down (or off) by several teams for an off-ice issue, who all ended up being roundly criticized for passing on someone who took a big developmental step this year. But now we're supposed to be praising teams for passing on someone who does not have off-ice issues and is unlikely to have them in the future?

Crap, it's not like he's allied with Westboro Baptist or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad