RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up7Yours

Feb 2, 2010
C'mon guys, this thread is off the rails with your childishness. If you want to argue, use private messaging. If you want to discuss, provide something of worth to the thread.

Went to the game today to see Laine live. He had a good game, 1+1. Set up his teammate for a half-open net but the guy missed in the first period. Got an assist when he powered an opponent off the puck in the offensive zone, a lot of open space for his teammate who makes a good pass resulting in a score. Had an awesome dangle on a 2-2 or 3-2 to get 1-1 with the goalie by deking through a couple defenders but the goalie didn't bite on the fake and saved it. Had one chance to shoot on the PP and he buried it.

On even strenght he seems to be a decoy and to draw defenders on himself and create space for his teammates, and with a quick step to take separation and create himself a shooting chance. Is kinda unselfish in the offensive zone, on quick breaks he went for possession instead of a quick shot. Doesn't necessarily instigate contact, but just doesn't budge when he gets challenged with the puck. This is why he has the confidence and ability to deke defenders 1-1 with fancy moves. Strong on the boards, likes to forecheck hard. Seemed mature and didn't whine to the referees and was always calm.

All in all I liked what I saw, a very intriguing prospect for sure

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Quite a shot for sure he has. It doesn't matter if it's like Kovy's or Ovy's, but I really think there's something same with their shots (in general, not just that goal). Every game he seems to dangle defenders off and setup a dangerous scoring attempt. This guy has the tools to be up in next NHL season.

I could only imagine the things if he played in Philly PP with Giroux and Gostisbehere..

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yep like others said Laine has learned from his mistake and is very sympathetic person and you can see it in the interviews, especially in the Finnish interviews. It seems very genuine and if he is faking that, then he is the best actor in the world and should go to Hollywood instead.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It would be cool to see this line again, at WHC this time.. I know it will depend on how many Finns from the NHL will be available but why not play them at least as a 4th line (plus some PP time).. I even think that line could be a difference maker.. the talent is there :)

I see Sebastian Aho being there for sure. +/- leader of whole Liiga and top-15 in points as well and since Aho isn't eligible for U18 anymore and the 2 others are, Aho will probably be the only one in men's WC team this year.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I see Sebastian Aho being there for sure. +/- leader of whole Liiga and top-15 in points as well and since Aho isn't eligible for U18 anymore and the 2 others are, Aho will probably be the only one in men's WC team this year.

How likely it'll be that Laine and Pulju are both available for U18 WJC's.
Tappara and Kärpät are still strongest candidates to go liiga finals and HIFK and JYP are their ( Kärpät and Tappara) challengers.

Of course Kärpät and Tappara might get eliminated in quarterfinals but i don't believe that will happen.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
He seems to have trouble finishing those type of plays. Has them in nearly every game and I don't think he has scored once.

Yeah, he's very young and it's a fair assumption that he will learn to use those chances much better...he already knows how to get those chances and creates them himself. Just needs to polish his close game a bit. The most important thing is, he can create them. Some small adjustments, training and experience and he'll start finding the net on those too. We know he has the shot for it, just doesn't have that range down. He's more effective from further away at the moment.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Like pre-hype Nash or post hype nash where we now know he isn't a 100 point player?

Rick Nash has not lived up to the pre-draft hype.

I want Laine for Toronto but not if the crystal ball says he turns out to be a 60 point winger.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Please God! Nooooooooooo!!!

Getzlaf looks like he doesn't move his feet, where Laine does. He's got that big body, long stick with lots of skill. Getzlaf has been an 80 point guy, so that wouldn't be so bad. Long story short, reminds me of Getzlaf, but works harder, and has harder shot

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Getzlaf looks like he doesn't move his feet, where Laine does. He's got that big body, long stick with lots of skill. Getzlaf has been an 80 point guy, so that wouldn't be so bad. Long story short, reminds me of Getzlaf, but works harder, and has harder shot

Yes, Getzlaf has been quite good in scoring during his career, I have to admit. But why I dislike him so much is because he has several times showed attitude problems and to me he seems like an incredibly talented guy, who has wasted most of his potential to be even a truly legendary player. How good he really could have been with a great winner's attitude? Although I have to admit that he has surprisingly good playoffs stats altogether, so he hasn't been after all a complete bust in the games that really matter.

Just have to point out, that I don't value too highly players who score a lot of goals and points in regular season games and mostly in games against weak opponents or in games that don't really matter so much. For me the true measure is how a player scores and helps carrying his team in the playoffs and in the biggest international hockey tournaments. I very much hope that Laine can keep up the kind of clutch playing that he has been showing so far in his career. Because winning is really what matters in the end.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
In those clips he looks like a boy among men. Except in this case the boy is bigger, stronger and shiftier than the men.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
History repeats itself. Laine to Karjalainen who tips it in on PP.

Shows his versality... He can lead the orchestra in powerplay too. He is multidimensional treath in offensive zone. You can't give him any room for him to shoot but then it opens him room to make plays and for his linemates like we saw in WJC. He has incredible poise for 17 year old in Liiga. That is not flashy play at all but that play is simple and effective play that will work in NHL and his poise is in full display on this play. Just a special player to watch.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Horrible OT from Laine. At least 3 giveaways. He really needs to move his feet more because he's not that fast, i was literally screaming at laine because he need to move his feet again again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad