RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
what`s your view on Laine? I remember you being very high on Barkov and we know where he is now and where he is trending. So is Laine, even though he is different type of a player, in the same category as a prospect as Barkov was?

I know you didn't ask me, but in my opinion Barkov is in a tier above any other, only due to the mature defensive game he showed as a 16-year old leading a pro league team from the third line while used in a heavy defensive role. Actually despite the position, he had 0.5PPG pace that year. The next season his age adjusted offensive production was second to only Peter Forsberg as far as nordic prospects are concerned. Laine is actually behind Barkov's PPG despite being a couple months older than Barkov at the time. And there isn't really a discussion about the defense.

So how about projection for Laine's development. Barkov was as physically ready for the pro Game as possible. Hell he outworked prime Mikko Koivu in board battles and was the best two-way Center in a League where lock-out players came to stay fit. Laine is more raw, we could expect Laine to become a similar physical presence as Barkov is now eventually in his prime. This makes Laine harder to project, it's like his floor and ceiling get farther apart than in Barkov's case.

How about their projected numbers. Barkov projected ceiling was a 90 point Selke level center, it seems that ceiling won't realize and he will more likely become a 70point Selke level center not bad but not worth all time top-100 list there once was a chance of happening. I see Laine's ceiling there, but his floor is probably a second line winger. Most likely he also ends up somewhere in between, but I see his total value lesser than Barkov's was mostly due to Barkov's generational defense, a level I don't believe Laine ever being able to get to.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
what`s your view on Laine? I remember you being very high on Barkov and we know where he is now and where he is trending. So is Laine, even though he is different type of a player, in the same category as a prospect as Barkov was?

I was very high in Mikael Granlund too and it is obvious miss right now. I was really high on Barkov and stated him perennial selke trophy candidate when he was 16 years old but it was obvious to everyone who analyzed his game back then. I predicted Mikael Granlund being one of most dynamic players in the NHL and PPG+ player in no time and it was a miss.

Laine to me is offensively more talented and dynamic. He has that swagger to challenge and hunger to score and make difference offensively. Barkov was more like preventing goals against him and still produce offensively.

Barkov was at his age best two-way player in the league. He dominated all three zones. I think the key thing was maturity. Barkov played the game like seasoned vet. He outsmarted every single opponent was strong enough to win majority of board battles against men but against his peers at WJC he did look out of place. Barkov is/was big time system player. If there is no system he looks lost and that was the case at WJC's. When there is a system he is one of most powerful engines in the world to make it run. His passing success rate, quickness of his decissions are top notch. His personality is bit like robotic and so is his game. So damn effective added with high end skills.

Patrik Laine have showed alot of maturity after WJC. He has similar poise compared to Barkov at same age. I think that is key thing for his success after the WJC's. That shot is world class, his playmaking skills are high end, he is better skater than Barkov at same age, i even think he is stronger than Barkov at same age. Barkov had generational defensive awareness and his game was all about smarts. Laine's game is more about mixture of dynamic skills and smarts.

I have hard time to choose between those two but Barkov is a center so he would be my pick. Laine has more potential though. He has potential to be one of the best if not the best offensive player of this draft or even of his time. I don't say he'll ever reach that but it is a possibility. Both seems to be winning players. We saw what Laine did at WJC's and we know how important elite two-way center is on a cup run. Can you tell who has been more important to CHI cup wins Kane or Toews? It's hard. I think Barkov and Laine can both be similar kind of "winning" players for their teams. Barkov is the elite two-way player "Toews" and Laine potentially the offensively dynamic player who scores big time goals and creates offensive plays "Kane".

So yeah in a nutshell Barkov and Laine are really close at their draft year. With Barkov you know what you get. With Laine you are gambling little bit but potentially can hit the jackpot. That is my opinion.

New Thread:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2021623

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad