RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You should ask it vice versa: What makes Armia so much worse player than Laine though the guy has similar kind of assets and toolset?

It's anybody's guess. Armia "should" be much better than he is. Maybe he even is and will be.

He's been one of the better Jets night in and night out since being moved up the lineup, showing some great chemistry with Ehlers.

When the Jets end up picking second and draft Laine everyone can compare them directly lol.

strat1

Jan 14, 2016
I think Armia is a much better skater right now. Whether Laine can become equal or better is anyones guess, but I doubt it.

So Armia is faster than puljujärvi? Laine and puljujärvi had skating competition and laine was little bit slower than pulju. The difference was minimal. I think laine is having a problem with his acceleration but he is still a very fast skater.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He's been one of the better Jets night in and night out since being moved up the lineup, showing some great chemistry with Ehlers.

When the Jets end up picking second and draft Laine everyone can compare them directly lol.

I really wish that either Laine or Puljujärvi end up with the Jets. :nod: It would be great to see Laine paired up with an elite playmaker though, so perhaps the Jets aren't the best option for him...

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
pulju will be the one in the jets jersey at the end of the season. laine bring so much skill, but has character issues. pulju is the exact type of player the jets want

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
pulju will be the one in the jets jersey at the end of the season. laine bring so much skill, but has character issues. pulju is the exact type of player the jets want

What character issues?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Had. If you'd be a Finn and you'd seen his interviews or media stuff this season, you'd think the opposite.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What character issues?
I'd guess this is a reference to the 2014 Hnlinka incident. He seems to of learned from his mistakes, but he's obviously gonna get grilled heavily over it in interviews and GM's will be very curious of his answers and response.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I'd guess this is a reference to the 2014 Hnlinka incident. He seems to of learned from his mistakes, but he's obviously gonna get grilled heavily over it in interviews and GM's will be very curious of his answers and response.

He will be well prepared to that grilling. And his main message will be: "I was just one immature brat then. It's history."

holmE

Jan 4, 2016
Vaasa

Don't quote me on this one, but I actually recall Laine saying in an interview with YLE before the WJC that he's gotten professional help with his "issues" after the WJC incident last year.

Had. If you'd be a Finn and you'd seen his interviews or media stuff this season, you'd think the opposite.

This. He does sound very mature all in all.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
But those same anger issues are still boiling under the surface even if he has had professional help. You gotta think it factors in.

Coedae

Apr 10, 2011
Actually Laine reminds a lot Lemieux. Armia tough is no where near Laine-level. Armia was mid first-round prospect who had potential to be ~30 goal scorer in NHL. Laine is close to be first overall, and has potential to be ~50 goal scorer.

And Tuomaz, if you're Finnish, why not enjoy that Finland finally has this type of a prospect? Seems like you have nothing new to bring on the table here.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Armia was/is a perimeter player who was soft like puppy. When the games got harder he was invisible. He did have negative impact on his team when the game got harder. I'm talking about his FEL time. He had soft hands and great ability to score but other than that he had nothing. He got imitaded by physical play. Patrik Laine in the other hand is always in the game. He brings phsicality, is much smarter with very high end hockeyIQ Armia in the other hand was a guy who forced stupid plays and his options were very limited. He was really low hockeyIQ player and that is one of the most important asset in NHL. He had trouble to play in FEL playoff game tempo. Laine at his pre draft WJC is much better player than Armia in his +2 draft year WJC. There was a reason why Armia wasn't top 10 pick even when he had good numbers. Laine is few tiers above him talent wise.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He will be well prepared to that grilling. And his main message will be: "I was just one immature brat then. It's history."
Meant by the teams, they will probably want a deeper explanation about the incident, and will obviously do their due diligence asking coaches and others involved about his changes and such. Obviously, he'll give the media the standard answers and there is no reason to talk about it in-depth with them.

holmE

Jan 4, 2016
Vaasa
But those same anger issues are still boiling under the surface even if he has had professional help. You gotta think it factors in.

Maybe, and maybe not. I am no professional but I do believe that professional help can do wonders for these type of issues. Combine that with becoming older and maturing naturally, I don't think it'll be a problem. He doesn't strike me as kid with any issues anymore, but what the hell do I know anyway. I'm just so excited for Laine's future.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I was guessing that, but anyone who has been around him has said he is completely a different person and he learned from his mistakes,
and you could see that in his interviews that he is grown and a damm great persona for hockey scene :laugh:

He was something like 15-16y when those happened, and media loved to hype those problems.
Have heard nothing bad since then.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
And of course he will mature when he is in the Tappara locker room like Ville Nieminen said in one interview. It's one of the best places to be for Laine. There are a lot of great guys in the locker room who have experienced a lot. Combine that with more age and great personality, you'll have a good one.

I've loved every interview he has given.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
Armia was/is a perimeter player who was soft like puppy. When the games got harder he was invisible. He did have negative impact on his team when the game got harder. I'm talking about his FEL time. He had soft hands and great ability to score but other than that he had nothing. He got imitaded by physical play. Patrik Laine in the other hand is always in the game. He brings phsicality, is much smarter with very high end hockeyIQ Armia in the other hand was a guy who forced stupid plays and his options were very limited. He was really low hockeyIQ player and that is one of the most important asset in NHL. He had trouble to play in FEL playoff game tempo. Laine at his pre draft WJC is much better player than Armia in his +2 draft year WJC. There was a reason why Armia wasn't top 10 pick even when he had good numbers. Laine is few tiers above him talent wise.

Laine is stronger and has superior shot but the biggest difference between Armia and Laine is their compete level, determination and character. Cant agree with Armia having low hockey IQ though, Laine still being clearly better of course.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
Chief Jokinen had character issues but he turned out as a clear headed captain of number of teams.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

has absolutely great character, it is one of his assets nowadays. way he handled pr/media before WJC final was pure gold.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
It's funny how it's a huge taboo to compare a prospect to a star player, even if you clearly state that "x reminds of y" or "x has a similar playing style as y". Also HFboards custom requires the use of the ending "lite" in order to mention a prospect and a star player in the same sentence: "x is like y-lite".

What the hell does "poor mans Kovalchuk" even mean? Is it this: "Kinda like Kovalchuk, but I chucked in "lite" so that nobody accuses me of overhyping." As if saying that a prospect plays like Kovalchuk or reminds them of Lemieux would mean that they expect said prospect to become as good as them. I agree with the poster that said Lemieux's video looks like Laine. Apart from the silly-awful goalies of the 80s. Does that mean Laine is the new Lemieux? No. Does that mean I expect him to become a new Lemieux? Most certainly not. It's just that high-end skill compared with shot, speed and stature usually only compares to a few star individuals, or at least they are the ones that come to mind.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
It's funny how it's a huge taboo to compare a prospect to a star player, even if you clearly state that "x reminds of y" or "x has a similar playing style as y". Also HFboards custom requires the use of the ending "lite" in order to mention a prospect and a star player in the same sentence: "x is like y-lite".

What the hell does "poor mans Kovalchuk" even mean? Is it this: "Kinda like Kovalchuk, but I chucked in "lite" so that nobody accuses me of overhyping." As if saying that a prospect plays like Kovalchuk or reminds them of Lemieux would mean that they expect said prospect to become as good as them. I agree with the poster that said Lemieux's video looks like Laine. Apart from the silly-awful goalies of the 80s. Does that mean Laine is the new Lemieux? No. Does that mean I expect him to become a new Lemieux? Most certainly not. It's just that high-end skill compared with shot, speed and stature usually only compares to a few star individuals, or at least they are the ones that come to mind.

It might be funny, but so it is in every avenue of life. Taboos are nothing to scoff at. They have their function still in our societal life. Yet, no denying, it is just taboos that are something to scoff at since they are often indeed - "funny".

But never scoff a wrong taboo at a wrong place if you ain't ready to pay the price.

Just saying. :naughty:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
It might be funny, but so it is in every avenue of life. Taboos are nothing to scoff at. They have their function still in our societal life. Yet, no denying, it is just taboos that are something to scoff at since they are often indeed - "funny".

But never scoff a wrong taboo at a wrong place if you ain't ready to pay the price.

When you have the truth on your side, you can bear anything.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

This. He comes across as a very smart and level-headed kid these days. Professional help can make a huge difference, especially in young people. He messed up, was punished accordingly and fortunately got help.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

Well yes, taboos do exist. I don't know if they have a function though. Usually when you think about them they are quite ridiculous. Like this one lol.
This. He comes across as a very smart and level-headed kid these days. Professional help can make a huge difference, especially in young people. He messed up, was punished accordingly and fortunately got help.

Agreed. Kid seems way more mature than your average 17-year-old, so much so that he's even openly, in an interview, assessed his own personality, his own maturity and improvement as a person. Imo that's an indication of mental maturity to be able to do that at such a young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad