RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
So every thing that doesn't compare Laine to Ovie and Lemieux is considered trolling by you guys? It's doesn't go like that.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So every thing that doesn't compare Laine to Ovie and Lemieux is considered trolling by you guys? It's doesn't go like that.

Doing it as if "slow" is the way to do it. The real masters of any craft are known by this "trait".

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Doing it as if "slow" is the way to do it. The real masters of any craft are known by this "trait".

Not every player can do this and survive. Leino is one example and i think his hands are even better then Laine and the edge work on skates too is better. Like i said it will be interesting to see.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014

-intentionally posting negative comments every given chance is a form of trolling considering the obvious pattern of posting
-building strawmans and acting "who, me?" is a form of trolling

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Not every player can do this and survive. Leino is one example and i think his hands are even better then Laine and the edge work on skates too is better. Like i said it will be interesting to see.

Now hold your horses young man. I think Leino at 17 was on a totally different level than either Barkov, Laine or Pulju. Laine is lucky to become like Leino was at 17 in his prime. Leino was a generational prospect by finnish standards.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
-intentionally posting negative comments every given chance is a form of trolling considering the obvious pattern of posting
-building strawmans and acting "who, me?" is a form of trolling

I'm making solid and thoughtful points about Laine's game and its holes. You are not doing anything. How about you share your opinion on the Laine matter of how his playstyle of long and slow strides and dekes fits NHL?

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I'm making solid and thoughtful points about Laine's game and its holes. You are not doing anything. How about you share your opinion on the Laine matter of how his playstyle of long and slow strides and dekes fits NHL?

o lol

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've never seen any 17-year old fool so many grown men in one game. :yo:

Yeah... but Ovechkin's jump was delayed because of the 2004-05 lockout, not because it was a decision.

And Selänne was delayed because of bad injuries and he was also a late-bloomer.

Laine has talked in interwievs he's gonna go in NHL as soon as there is a smallest chance. So I predict, he plays there at next season.

Just go straight on to get that experience. As a big-sized player, it works. That reach is a key. Just look at Barkov and Ristolainen as examples. After some growing pains, both are excellent now.

No on both. He wanted to wait until he was ready. Then there was no rush to move to NHL, it was common to wait until you were over 20 years old.

Barkov and Ristolainen's situations aren't directly comaparable to Laine's. Laine has more holes in his game/physical developments/abilities than those two.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
huh? Laine dekes and skates slow. Everyone knows this. But it's his style.
You talk about slow deking but have you seen a guy like Mikko Luoma or Chara using the dekes? That's what I call slow or clumsy lol.

Not to mention, I don't think you really realize how big difference it makes for Laine to pull the dekes with his big hands/legs compared to someone like Granlund sized player pulling the same dekes. Not nearly as effective as Laine's. And you need to do them in full speed. Not many can pull it as effectively as Laine.

When it comes to Laine skating slow, you need to appreciate the slide he makes on ice. He won't most likely never become as explosive as some of the goal scorers in NHL but he has the body advantage on those guys. It will be really hard to stop Laine from getting to the net when he has 20 pounds more muscle.

Skip to 00:15 and you'll see. If the Belarus player would have tried to stop Laine with his body, he woulda crashed the boards at the side most likely. :laugh:

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think this is the first time I've heard that you can deke slowly. I think if you deke slowly the other guy has time to read your moves, making the whole deking process pointless and unsuccessful. :laugh:

Sure, Laine isn't the fastest guy around, but he isn't nearly the slowest either and he still has time to develop his skating, which has already improved drastically from the last season.

Noma

After yesterday's hat trick performance, Laine answered questions about the speculated move to center in Jatkoaika's article.

- I don't think I have ever played even one shift as a center. You have to defend too much there, the winger's role suits me much better. And I can't even take faceoffs at all, so it would be quite hard.

- But you never know. If I'd start practising it, maybe I could master it. But for now it's probably better that I just keep myself at wing.

- This season I have played almost fully at left wing. It's my thing, I prefer to speed there. You could challenge the D-men better from there. But I can to the other wing as well, if the coach wants to put me there. I play where I'm told to play, even as a D-man.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
No on both. He wanted to wait until he was ready. Then there was no rush to move to NHL, it was common to wait until you were over 20 years old.

Correct, Selänne has stated this in his movie and book, if some one is wondering what's the reference.

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
I'm not seeing how he would be that much different than Armia is. Don't get me wrong, I like Armia, but I don't think either will be top players in the NHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Now hold your horses young man. I think Leino at 17 was on a totally different level than either Barkov, Laine or Pulju. Laine is lucky to become like Leino was at 17 in his prime. Leino was a generational prospect by finnish standards.

giphy.gif

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I'm not seeing how he would be that much different than Armia is. Don't get me wrong, I like Armia, but I don't think either will be top players in the NHL.
Better shot including one timer? Already almost as good skater as Armia even though they have 5 years age difference? Laine being able to actually defend as a 17 years old even though he's a pure goal scorer? How about better stats than Armia had in his age in national games? Laine has also proven he won't shy away in big games or when in pressure. Those are that kind of things that matter and you can't see them just by looking statistics or random regular season games, those are the virtues great players are made of.

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland

There are reasons why Laine is predicted to go as high as number 2 overall and Armia was taken at around mid-1st round (was it 16?). They are prospects from two different levels, Laine being the signifcantly better one.

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Better shot including one timer? Already almost as good skater as Armia even though they have 5 years age difference? Laine being able to actually defend as a 17 years old even though he's a pure goal scorer? How about better stats than Armia had in his age in national games? Laine has also proven he won't shy away in big games or when in pressure. Those are that kind of things that matter and you can't see them just by looking statistics or random regular season games, those are the virtues great players are made of.

I think Armia is a much better skater right now. Whether Laine can become equal or better is anyones guess, but I doubt it.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I think Armia is a much better skater right now. Whether Laine can become equal or better is anyones guess, but I doubt it.

You should ask it vice versa: What makes Armia so much worse player than Laine though the guy has similar kind of assets and toolset?

It's anybody's guess. Armia "should" be much better than he is. Maybe he even is and will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad