RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There is literally no incentive for the NHL: can't use the clips to promote anything, take on all the risks of player injuries
If the NHL Network wishes to use the clips from the Olympics, they can buy the rights from the IOC like any other television network is doing.

Any athlete is risking injury at the Olympics or other events.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Yeah you're right, and I guess it works both ways ; a KHL team can't sign a player with a valid NHL contract. But couldn't the NHL team that drafts him just get him to "retire" from the KHL before signing him to a multi-year deal? Then again, that would seem damn near criminal wouldn't it? ... SKA would never do such a thing. ...... hmmmmmm... I seem to remember some guy with a long term contract in New Jersey.

Kovalchuk played for SKA because the New Jersey GM allowed it. Per NHL contract termination laws, a player cannot play professional hockey for 3 years following retirement without the consent of the NHL team.

So no, a KHL team cannot get a player to 'retire' from the NHL and then sign them; at least not without permission of the NHL team.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is literally no incentive for the NHL: can't use the clips to promote anything, take on all the risks of player injuries
LOL What incentive? Whay should anyone give the NHL anything there? It is the most important sports event on the planet. In fact by the logic of the olympic movement greedy pro-leagues like the NHL should be prohibited from using any material from the Olympics for "promotion" i.e. making money purposes. That's the whole problem with America. Everything revolves around money. The NHL should be punished for it's behavior and USA and Canada should not be allowed to participate in IIHF events until the NHL stops sabotaging the Olympics.

And every single athlete is risking injury all the time. Let's scrap all sports events then. The athletes WANT to be in the Olympics. That's the most important thing here. They know of the risks. I could not care less about some greedy billionaires worried about their "assets".

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
But the KHL is pretty terrible for European leagues and hockey too, so there's that.

The KHL is able and willing to incorporate european teams. This would be beneficial for european hockey in general. Also for creating some resistance to those NHL policies. Of course that is not without a backlash as it would drain talent to the countries KHL team/teams, but it does now anyway, but to mostly russian teams. Right now the national hockey bodies are fighting it like it is the devil. On the other hand though they want a proper Champions League. Go figure.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
This is really interesting player. And also situation. As was already mentioned, his contract with SKA could him cost Nr. 1 Draft pick position (there are others quality players), but overall he seem to be the Next Russian Great One.

My Time machine says me, because of this 3 years he was in KHL and not NHL, he couldnt broke Alexander Oveckin goal-scoring record. Still, be 3. best scorer in the NHL history is a good achievement.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
My Time machine says me, because of this 3 years he was in KHL and not NHL, he couldnt broke Alexander Oveckin goal-scoring record. Still, be 3. best scorer in the NHL history is a good achievement.

I think we’re getting faar too ahead of ourselves here talking about best goalscorer in NHL history . Let’s wait until he plays in the NHL or even the KHL first before even thinking about all this

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
While I'm sure plenty of players will emerge between now and the '23 Draft, any team that passes on this guy is going to regret it. I'll say this much: if he really wants to force his way out of SKA, he will. Sure SKA has the advantage right now, but star players always play by different rules, no matter the sport.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Will we see him at the U18 championship?
If healthy, he should be there.

By points per games played in the MHL among 2002 born and younger he is 7th behind

Khusnutdinov
Ovchinnikov
Kisakov
Aimurzin
Pashin
Yurov

Needless to say he is the by far youngest of the group and the league's top goal scorer two ahead of Kisakov in five less games played. He is easily the best goal scorer available which is most remarkable given that he is a double underager in that group.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If healthy, he should be there.

By points per games played in the MHL among 2002 born and younger he is 7th behind

Khusnutdinov
Ovchinnikov
Kisakov
Aimurzin
Pashin
Yurov

Needless to say he is the by far youngest of the group and the league's top goal scorer two ahead of Kisakov in five less games played. He is easily the best goal scorer available which is most remarkable given that he is a double underager in that group.

McDavid went as a double underager and absolutely torched the U18s, he completely destroyed the competition as a double underager. It was kind of his introduction to the international hockey world.

Wouldn't be surprised if Michkov gets a similar opportunity given the reports coming out of Russia on him. From what I've seen, he is one of hell of a hockey player and his style of play will transfer well on the small ice when he eventually comes over. He has elite level hockey IQ and intuitively attacks the middle of the ice creating dangerous scoring opportunities. He's far from just a perimeter type player.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
McDavid went as a double underager and absolutely torched the U18s, he completely destroyed the competition as a double underager. It was kind of his introduction to the international hockey world.

Wouldn't be surprised if Michkov gets a similar opportunity given the reports coming out of Russia on him. From what I've seen, he is one of hell of a hockey player and his style of play will transfer well on the small ice when he eventually comes over. He has elite level hockey IQ and intuitively attacks the middle of the ice creating dangerous scoring opportunities. He's far from just a perimeter type player.

Yeah, he's pretty similar to Kaprizov, but not as tough. On the other hand, he probably has even better IQ, hands, shot and skating, which sounds ridiculous, but he's that talented.

Reactions: JotAlan

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, he's pretty similar to Kaprizov, but not as tough. On the other hand, he probably has even better IQ, hands, shot and skating, which sounds ridiculous, but he's that talented.

He’s damn impressive, I generally trust your opinion on hockey players from Russia.

The buzz with this kid has been going on for awhile, in terms of just raw production I’m not sure I’ve seen a Russian prospect, or perhaps European trained player ever with this type of pre-draft production this young. The game tape I’ve seen shows a player with elite decision making, stick handling, deadly accurate shot, and edgework. To my eye, he grasps the game intuitively with God given ability for lack of a better term. He has a knack for attacking the middle of the ice in those high danger scoring chance areas, it’s an ability that will translate at higher levels.

Ovi was playing in mens leagues when he was young so it’s hard to compare in terms of raw points production.

Looking forward to seeing him at the U-18s, and then his pilgrimage to Canada for the Super Series in November around Rembrance Day for us before his first WJC at the end of the year.

Him and Bedard will be linked for a number of years to come.

Reactions: JotAlan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
People tend to underestimate traveling factor in the MHL and its impact on players.

Just for your information, SKA-1946 and Michkov played vs Sakhalin Sharks in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. Distance between the cities is 6,662 km. For a perspective, distance between Anchorage and Miami is 6,434 km, and it's just 5,567 km between New York and London.

So I'd say, MHL players are way better prepared for NHL traveling, than CHLers, let alone Swedes or Finns.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
People tend to underestimate traveling factor in the MHL and its impact on players.

Just for your information, SKA-1946 and Michkov played vs Sakhalin Sharks in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. Distance between the cities is 6,662 km. For a perspective, distance between Anchorage and Miami is 6,434 km, and it's just 5,567 km between New York and London.

So I'd say, MHL players are way better prepared for NHL traveling, than CHLers, let alone Swedes or Finns.

did they travel by plane?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
did they travel by plane?

Yeah, by bus... joking. Of course they flew to there and back. They actually did a whole trip, first, to Khabarovsk, then to Vladivostok and then to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.

This season conferences were bizarre. All three Far East teams played in Western Conference.

Reactions: CanuckCity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad