RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
LOL What incentive? Whay should anyone give the NHL anything there? It is the most important sports event on the planet. In fact by the logic of the olympic movement greedy pro-leagues like the NHL should be prohibited from using any material from the Olympics for "promotion" i.e. making money purposes. That's the whole problem with America. Everything revolves around money. The NHL should be punished for it's behavior and USA and Canada should not be allowed to participate in IIHF events until the NHL stops sabotaging the Olympics.

And every single athlete is risking injury all the time. Let's scrap all sports events then. The athletes WANT to be in the Olympics. That's the most important thing here. They know of the risks. I could not care less about some greedy billionaires worried about their "assets".
"America" and "the IOC" are interchangeable in the bolded.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Making it look easy against bigger, older, stronger players, just like Bedard.

During their best moments, when attacking a defence 1-on-several, it appears they're thinking "You can't stop me. I know it and you know it.", and then prove it.

Gonna be fun watching these two get even better.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
So Connor Bedard is making the headlines around the hockey world pretty hard these days for good reasons. Is it fair to say that Bedard will be picked 1st overall because he's Canadian and comes with all that domination and skills and being a center on top of that?

But it doesn't stop us from seeing how Matvei Michkov seems as exceptional on the other side of the ocean. This kid is insane. Just from his highlights, he is way too dynamic and insane shot as well. Kid seems like the next big thing coming out of Russia. I think whoever picks this guy, will have a very special player. This won't be your normal 2nd overall pick if he doesn't go 1st overall. It'll be a Malkin type of impact player.

If anybody who saw both Bedard and Michkov play, can you describe who has the edge as of right now or it's not even closed with Bedard being the better prospect?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So Connor Bedard is making the headlines around the hockey world pretty hard these days for good reasons. Is it fair to say that Bedard will be picked 1st overall because he's Canadian and comes with all that domination and skills and being a center on top of that?

But it doesn't stop us from seeing how Matvei Michkov seems as exceptional on the other side of the ocean. This kid is insane. Just from his highlights, he is way too dynamic and insane shot as well. Kid seems like the next big thing coming out of Russia. I think whoever picks this guy, will have a very special player. This won't be your normal 2nd overall pick if he doesn't go 1st overall. It'll be a Malkin type of impact player.

If anybody who saw both Bedard and Michkov play, can you describe who has the edge as of right now or it's not even closed with Bedard being the better prospect?

The Bedard-Michkov draft is more than two years away. What are you even talking about.

Reactions: rightyright

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
The Bedard-Michkov draft is more than two years away. What are you even talking about.

They are the projected 1-2 overall picks of the 2023 draft. Isn't this the prospect thread? Where we can discuss prospects from same draft class and especially when both already displayed tremendous special talents for their draft class? I don't get your comment.

Just like we talked about Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, MacKinnon at least 2 years prior to their draft. It's well okay to discuss Bedard vs Michkov.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
They are the projected 1-2 overall picks of the 2023 draft. Isn't this the prospect thread? Where we can discuss prospects from same draft class and especially when both already displayed tremendous special talents for their draft class? I don't get your comment.

Just like we talked about Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, MacKinnon at least 2 years prior to their draft. It's well okay to discuss Bedard vs Michkov.

You are free to do what you want. But when you say stuff like "Is it fair to say that Bedard will be picked 1st overall because he's Canadian," I'm free to suggest that you diversify your interests.

Reactions: rightyright

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
You are free to do what you want. But when you say stuff like "Is it fair to say that Bedard will be picked 1st overall because he's Canadian," I'm free to suggest that you diversify your interests.

Then be specific. Make sure you quote the whole sentence or the whole comment. Being Canadian throughout history has been a factor. The rest of my comment was all in favor of Michkov. Which I cannot express how much he looks like a complete stud and is in contention for 1st overall. And center position is often prioritize and Bedard has more exposure in NA since he's in the CHL. You don't see TSN talking about how many records Michkov is breaking in the MHL. So yeah, it's justified to think most would put Bedard 1st and Michkov 2nd as of now. Like you said, its 2 years away.

You are free to suggest anything, but I didn't see any suggestion in your comment other than an attack. Please give me your input on Michkov, that's the goal of my post.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

I've only seen videos, but I think Bedard is better at the moment; his shot being the difference. Both are very shifty and can weave in and out of traffic like nothing. I think Michkov is more cerebral. Bedard's shot is the best I've ever seen at this age. Just ridiculous.
But because his shot is so ahead of the curve, it does beg the question..... will his shot continue to improve relative to his other skillsets? Or is it an asset he can use to perfection at junior level, but will get more difficult as he grows older and faces better goalies.
I guess we'll find out in the future.

Last edited:

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island

While the consensus #1 a couple years ahead of a draft usually maintains that status up to draft day (I'm looking at you, Nolan Patrick), the Consensus #2, if there is one, is almost never the one that gets picked #2.

Remember when the McDavid-Eichel Debate was McDavid-Barzal?
Even if Barzal did eventually become an Elite Center, he certainly wasn't taken #2!
It wasn't until Late 2014 until Eichel started to become the Consensus #2 pick.

What I'm trying to get at is that while Bedard-Michkov is interesting and fun to debate, History shows that them going 1-2 isn't likely.

Reactions: Jabba11

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, by bus... joking. Of course they flew to there and back. They actually did a whole trip, first, to Khabarovsk, then to Vladivostok and then to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.

This season conferences were bizarre. All three Far East teams played in Western Conference.

WHLers travel by bus everywhere. Try taking a bus from Winnipeg to Victoria or Prince George and then tell me WHLers arent prepared for the travel of the NHL.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
While the consensus #1 a couple years ahead of a draft usually maintains that status up to draft day (I'm looking at you, Nolan Patrick), the Consensus #2, if there is one, is almost never the one that gets picked #2.

Remember when the McDavid-Eichel Debate was McDavid-Barzal?
Even if Barzal did eventually become an Elite Center, he certainly wasn't taken #2!
It wasn't until Late 2014 until Eichel started to become the Consensus #2 pick.

What I'm trying to get at is that while Bedard-Michkov is interesting and fun to debate, History shows that them going 1-2 isn't likely.
While I would normally agree with this sentiment(Oliver Kylington being another example from that draft) I these 2 guys are locks.

Reactions: Jackpot Jaret

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest

I don't see there being any nationality bias, but the fact Michkov is signed through 2025/26 (D+4 would be his first season) will likely knock him out of #1 contention (and possibly out of #2) assuming all else is relatively equal. Also there's the C vs W debate which leans in Bedard's favour too.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Really talented #1 picks usually play in the NHL in their D + 1 year. Having to wait 4 years for Michkov will definitely make him less attractive to NHL teams, and move him down in the draft.

Well, if Michkov is Ovi/Malkin or even Kucherov/Panarin level, teams won't care, whether it's 1 year waiting or 4 years waiting. I'm still pretty sure, Bedard will go 1 OA, as for Michkov, I personally don't care, when they will pick him. As far as I understand, Matvei doesn't care as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, if Michkov is Ovi/Malkin or even Kucherov/Panarin level, teams won't care, whether it's 1 year waiting or 4 years waiting. I'm still pretty sure, Bedard will go 1 OA, as for Michkov, I personally don't care, when they will pick him. As far as I understand, Matvei doesn't care as well.
NHL GM's most certainly will care, because they might well be fired before Michkov comes over to help what is no longer their team. Teams that draft high up are teams that are performing poorly, and are under great pressure to get better. They can't afford to wait 4 years for #1 or #2 oa player to show up, in the vast majority of cases.

This has nothing to do with Michkov's ability, or his attitude toward the situation.

I mean, if the 2023 draft were the 2021 draft then Yzerman MIGHT have enough goodwill with fans and management that he would pick Michkov over some none Bedard top prospect, but they have been losing for a long time, as have Buffalo, and Ottawa, etc., etc.. Asking a team and their fans to wait all those years for help to come is a BIG ask. This is not like the Kaprizov situation, who was an afterthought during the 2015 draft.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
NHL GM's most certainly will care, because they might well be fired before Michkov comes over to help what is no longer their team. Teams that draft high up are teams that are performing poorly, and are under great pressure to get better. They can't afford to wait 4 years for #1 or #2 oa player to show up, in the vast majority of cases.

This has nothing to do with Michkov's ability, or his attitude toward the situation.

I mean, if the 2023 draft were the 2021 draft then Yzerman MIGHT have enough goodwill with fans and management that he would pick Michkov over some none Bedard top prospect, but they have been losing for a long time, as have Buffalo, and Ottawa, etc., etc.. Asking a team and their fans to wait all those years for help to come is a BIG ask. This is not like the Kaprizov situation, who was an afterthought during the 2015 draft.
Replying to bold.

Look. Here is a very simple & quick solution. The NHL club can give SKA an offer to buy Michkov. A few millions of dollars can not be a problem for NHL team. Very simple, easy & quick.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Replying to bold.

Look. Here is a very simple & quick solution. The NHL club can give SKA an offer to buy Michkov. A few millions of dollars can not be a problem for NHL team. Very simple, easy & quick.
Can't do it.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
NHL team give the money to Michkov and he buys himself out.
It can be done
Except, IIRC, teams can not simply give a certain amount to a player like that, without it being part a standard NHL contract. And the only contract Michkov can sign is an ELC, and I'm pretty sure he can't legally sign one while under another pro (or at least KHL) contract, though I can be wrong on that. They can't forward the total amount he'll earn during his ELC either. Basically, my understanding is an NHL team can not be involved, directly or indirectly, in lending him the sum needed to buy himself out of his contract.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Not possible. This was beaten to death with Minnesota and Kaprizov. It is simply on the player and NHL teams can't pay.

Yep and because of that Michkov will not be draft on the Top 5.

The dude will finish his contract and like Kuznetsov and Kaprisov , he will come over at 22 years old.

The top 5 will not want to wait 4 years even he is clearly the best or second best player of the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad