RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Does Michkov have figure skating level edges like Crosby, Kaprizov though? I haven't seen it, not yet anyways. Both those other two I mentioned are also built like tanks despite their average height. Michkov still has ways to go physically but the skills are there .

Not sure, if he becomes as bulky as Kaprizov, but he'll definitely become bigger and stronger. As to his "figure skating" his edge work is phenomenal, he can fool opponents just with skating.

Reactions: wings5

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Heard he signed a 5 year deal with ska? So he’s not going to come to his nhl team unit 3 years after his nhl draft?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Heard he signed a 5 year deal with ska? So he’s not going to come to his nhl team unit 3 years after his nhl draft?

I doubt he'll stay that long if he's NHL ready. He can just buy out the remainder of the KHL contract.

If I recall correctly he said he signed the SKA deal to set his parents up for life ASAP.

vvann

Jan 29, 2020
I doubt he'll stay that long if he's NHL ready. He can just buy out the remainder of the KHL contract.

If I recall correctly he said he signed the SKA deal to set his parents up for life ASAP.
He didn't say that. He said that he thinks it will be better for his development to stay in SKA and get tо the KHL first. When asked about 5 years he said "we'll see".

lawrence

May 19, 2012

hold on... "whois" going to buy it out? a contract is a on contract. He is most likely good enough to make the NHL right away, but either way, may I ask "who" is going to buy it out?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
hold on... "whois" going to buy it out? a contract is a on contract. He is most likely good enough to make the NHL right away, but either way, may I ask "who" is going to buy it out?
He is. Out of his own money He will have to pay 2/3 of the sum that is due to him till the deal is over. Doubt he will do it. He signed the deal to give his family some financial stability in the first place, not to pay for the privilege to play in the NHL out of his own pocket.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
A player can buy out his contract. So, in his case, he would have to order two payments to SKA, 1) a buy-out of the contract, 2) a development fee because he would leave the club for a foreign team while being younger than 23 years.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The team that drafts him? Would you buy out Ovechkin's contract in Russia if you wanted to have him ASAP?

Reactions: Acadien86

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The team that drafts him? Would you buy out Ovechkin's contract in Russia if you wanted to have him ASAP?
Exactly what you say. I see no problem why any NHL club could not come to SKA with the following offer: we want Michkov right now, so you will release him from his KHL contract and we (NHL club) will pay you (SKA) a few million dollars. The transfer fee depends on the agreement between clubs, it could be a million-dollar, or five, or ten, or hundred million. It does not matter, the principle is clear & evident here. So yeah, agree with you.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This idea thats he's going to buy out his contract is much more unlikely than fans think. I'm pretty sure you need to give 18 months notice to do so, and then there's the financial part of it that fans might not care about because its not their money but Michkov would have to deal with.

I think Michkov has put himself in a position where he's taken himself out of contention to go in the top 3. I'm all for teams not calling players up to the NHL too early, but if you are a team picking that early, you need the player to start contributing earlier than D+4. A GM may not with the organization anymore in the D+4 season. Michkov may not care that he's hurt his draft stock doing this, but I think the talk of him coming over any sooner than D+4 is the type of speculation you see from fans that doesn't get considered to the degree you'd think.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
This idea thats he's going to buy out his contract is much more unlikely than fans think. I'm pretty sure you need to give 18 months notice to do so, and then there's the financial part of it that fans might not care about because its not their money but Michkov would have to deal with.

I think Michkov has put himself in a position where he's taken himself out of contention to go in the top 3. I'm all for teams not calling players up to the NHL too early, but if you are a team picking that early, you need the player to start contributing earlier than D+4. A GM may not with the organization anymore in the D+4 season. Michkov may not care that he's hurt his draft stock doing this, but I think the talk of him coming over any sooner than D+4 is the type of speculation you see from fans that doesn't get considered to the degree you'd think.

Teams like the Wild, Blues, Capitals and Rangers have benefited greatly from this. Taking a uber talented Russian player later than their talent indicates all because teams don’t want to be patient.

I agree with you it’ll likely happen with Michkov when his draft rolls around and circumstances don’t change, but teams will be regretting passing on this guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muffinalt

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

You are giving the draft & its position too much importance. Generally, the draft is not important at all. For a player is much beneficial not to get drafted because he has more freedom to pick teams to play for.

I do not understand why any player, Michkov in this case, should care who is the GM.

I write it more than once, but I will repeat it. From now until May 1st, 2026 the NHL club has NO right to directly or indirectly contact Michkov, his parents or agent. That move by the NHL club would be considered illegal. The NHL club has just one option - to contact SKA with a request where SKA would give them (NHL club) consent to speak to Michkov. And at the same time, both SKA & NHL club would need to start negotiations about a transfer fee for releasing Michkov from the KHL contract. I do not see any problem here because the NHL clubs are wealthy enough to invest a few million dollars, or even more, to get a player.

You are used to a situation when the NHL club can get any player, for free and ASAP. It is obvious that the NHL bribed the hockey associations in all leading hockey nations in Europe (NHL TA), but that is not the case with Russians (KHL). You should accept it.

And more complications for NHL coming from the Russian law regulating the transfers of U23 players, with or without a contract in Russia, for the foreign leagues.

Last edited:

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Teams like the Wild, Blues, Capitals and Rangers have benefited greatly from this. Taking a uber talented Russian player later than their talent indicates all because teams don’t want to be patient.

I agree with you it’ll likely happen with Michkov when his draft rolls around and circumstances don’t change, but teams will be regretting passing on this guy.

With his projection I doubt any team with the chance to draft him in the top three spots or quite possibly the number one spot are going to pass on him because he may like to refine and hone his game in the KHL for a couple of seasons. They would be mad to pass on him assuming he continues to develop as he does and nothing indicates he is stagnating.

vvann

Jan 29, 2020
In the details of the contract SKA listed his height and weight as 178 cm and 72 kg. A year ago he was about 174 and 68.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think what SKA did was out right bush leauge and bull crap of what they did. It's like they learned their lesson with Podkolzin and now it's 3 extra years. Imagine the same thing happened to Ovechkin. They put themselves in position that if anyone wants to draft the next Great Russian player, they are expected to give them a pay out? so technically speaking SKA "owns" him right now. Seems like He didn't hire a North American agent and had a Russian Agent, that had SKA pull some strings on him via the agent.

Based on what they did, the NHL team should just sign him at age 18, and just play him. whats the most the SKA can do? sue them? can an NHL team legally sue the KHL team?

This is turning back into Soviet style hockey management. I personally didn't know the KHL operates like this. to me, it's like... the Vancouver Canucks signing Connor Mcdavid to a 5 year contract when he was 16 or something, I thought the KHL also have a drafting system? No? they run things like Soccer than where you can poach players in their teens? SKA doing this for themselves.

then scenerio sounds corrupted as crap.

You are used to a situation when the NHL club can get any player, for free and ASAP.

since when the hell are players here for free. They are obtained via a thing called the NHL entry draft.

R.I.P. He will forever be known as the player that lost 3 years of the NHL time because of what the KHL does.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think what SKA did was out right bush leauge and bull crap of what they did. It's like they learned their lesson with Podkolzin and now it's 3 extra years. Imagine the same thing happened to Ovechkin. They put themselves in position that if anyone wants to draft the next Great Russian player, they are expected to give them a pay out? so technically speaking SKA "owns" him right now. Seems like He didn't hire a North American agent and had a Russian Agent, that had SKA pull some strings on him via the agent.
That's nonsense.

Based on what they did, the NHL team should just sign him at age 18, and just play him. whats the most the SKA can do? sue them? can an NHL team legally sue the KHL team?
Michkov with a valid KHL contract can not sign with an NHL club. So your question is fundamentally wrong, in such a case (Michkov with a valid deal with SKA but signing in NHL), SKA/KHL can sue the NHL club/NHL. But, yeah, the NHL HQ is not such stupid to approve such a transfer in the first place.

since when the hell are players here for free. They are obtained via a thing called the NHL entry draft.
Once again, I do not care about your draft. It is just your internal system within the NHL, it is binding to the NHL clubs, not other leagues. It has nothing to do with global transfer rules. Here, I am saying that the NHL clubs do not directly negotiate with the European clubs about transfer fees for players coming from Europe. So, the NHL clubs are getting these players basically for free.

Generally, I would recommend you to study how European (& global) football transfers work. If you do it, you will understand all of Michkov´s situation. In European football clubs, teenagers are signed to a long-term deal on daily basis, especially top players like Michkov. Just one example

On 2 September 2019, FC Barcelona reached an agreement with Las Palmas for the transfer of Pedri. The player agreed to a five-year contract with the Catalan club, who paid €5 million for the deal.

As I said earlier, the NHL club can come to SKA with the offer - our NHL club will pay you (SKA) a few million dollars to release Michkov, do you agree? As you can see, FC Barcelona paid Las Palmas €5 million for Pedri. Do you want to tell me that your NHL club does not have such kind of money, so around 5 million dollars or whatever?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Three games left in the regular season. He leads the league by three goals. He could score 40. Kucherov's record for U17 players in the MHL was 29.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Every GM who drafts him beyond Top2 will go down as the luckiest guy ever.

And wtf is a draft stock worth?

Reactions: MNRube

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

This is turning back into Soviet style hockey management. I personally didn't know the KHL operates like this. to me, it's like... the Vancouver Canucks signing Connor Mcdavid to a 5 year contract when he was 16 or something, I thought the KHL also have a drafting system? No? they run things like Soccer than where you can poach players in their teens? SKA doing this for themselves.

then scenerio sounds corrupted as crap.

R.I.P. He will forever be known as the player that lost 3 years of the NHL time because of what the KHL does.
LOL the BH is glowing. How about it is a business and SKA does what is right for them? Bush league? More like good at what they do.

I have to laugh so hard about North Americans and their superiority complexes. If somebody is not giving in to your policies of theft nad robbery, then "bush league" and

tenor.png

Oh yes, we dare. And yes if anyone wants to draft the next great Russian he has to pay, because it's a business and nothing is for free. You are way to used to live on other people's money.

Technically speaking SKA owns his rights. Just like any other pro-team owns the rights of their respective players. what's your problem with it? That not everybody wants to give you everything for glass pearls?

Too bad he had no american agent to tell him to screw his country over.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
LOL the BH is glowing. How about it is a business and SKA does what is right for them? Bush league? More like good at what they do.

I have to laugh so hard about North Americans and their superiority complexes. If somebody is not giving in to your policies of theft nad robbery, then "bush league" and

tenor.png

Oh yes, we dare. And yes if anyone wants to draft the next great Russian he has to pay, because it's a business and nothing is for free. You are way to used to live on other people's money.

Technically speaking SKA owns his rights. Just like any other pro-team owns the rights of their respective players. what's your problem with it? That not everybody wants to give you everything for glass pearls?

Too bad he had no american agent to tell him to screw his country over.

I know North America has this draft system for all sorts of sports dealing mainly with NCAA affiliated colleges. However in Europe and most of the world in any sport unless a players contract runs out clubs are entitled to receive some recompense from the purchasing club. Why should European teams just offer up players for the draft without recompense ? It's only fair morally and economically and for the development of the sport globally.

Did not Yaroslavl receive some compensation from SKA ? They have a damn fine hockey school so it is only fair in coaching Matvei from the time he started that they get some reward as well. Sure European clubs feel pride when they see a player they helped form enter the NHL but it does not pay the bills. Particularly in these trying times for all sport.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Couldn't care less about the NHL, whatever team drafts him and what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->