RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If you are a fan of Team Russia then what you want is to see the brightest kids develop in a responsible way which means that there is a proper development pathway for them. This means heads not being turned in this mirage that going to North America means future success. It means developing players to the best of their ability in an environment that suits them emotionally and technically. There have to be several improvements in youth selection, development (in respect of several positions), greater reach of the sport throughout Russia. Not to mention if needs be importing overseas coaches to bring in new ideas which have seen a success as with the fencing team and netminders with Finnish help. Learn from that and build on it and self innovate as Tarasov did.

Currently player wastage is pretty bad. Not what is good for Team Russia or the individuals themselves. A few manage to pick themselves up. Most go by the wayside.
I do not want to go off-topic, but it is always important to understand the greater picture ...

Alexander Medvedev once said, "we had an option/considered that Gazprom would buy one NHL club. But we chose to establish the KHL instead because it brings more benefits for Russian hockey as a whole." As you know, at the time, Russia did not have one top-tier junior hockey league at a national level, no quality in senior hockey, no development of players. As a direct result of the KHL´s establishment, these important elements were introduced, till this day the KHL operates the junior league (MHL).

So, if Gazprom decided to own an NHL club, it would be perhaps a good PR campaign for the company, but it would result in a wrong/no development of hockey in Russia. There would be no progress, no investment into youth & pro hockey.

There would be no construction of hockey academies (facilities for youth hockey) in Russia. As you say with foreign coaches, SKA has Bochner (player development coach), Johansson (methodist coach), Hirsh (goalie coach). These coaches are not serving just for SKA/KHL team, but all youth teams. Their experience is shared. The same with other coaches in other clubs. Plus, the Russian hockey federation developed a new methodology of players´ development, they use the best methods of Soviet hockey & recent development in Sweden and other leading countries. The methodology (Red Machine) has been sharing with all hockey youth schools/teams in Russia.

And I could go on...

But, if the Russian hockey had its top priority to have many NHLers as our Russian friend offer, there would be no progress in Russia at all. Therefore it is important to support your league (in all Europe), not to look at the number of NHLers.

Reactions: slumpy43

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there’s a difference between wanting players to stay in the KHL an excessive amount of years and not supporting domestic hockey. I didn’t see anyone say they don’t support domestic hockey. If you are a fan of your country’s success in international hockey, of course you want to see the main domestic league succeed. I don’t even know why that’s a discussion. That doesn’t mean you are an NHL fan or dislike the KHL because you think an elite talent shouldn’t spend more years in an inferior league than is needed to properly develop into a player capable of being one of the world’s elite players at his position.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, did you see, what a bunch of CHL kids did to your precious KHLers?
1.The CHL kids were coached.
2.The CHL kids did not impress much. Bragin's dog could have outcoached them. And it happened in the finals.
3.Which KHLers do you mean? Two 18 year olds? You are salty and ignore facts. All Canadians are CHLers. They have no choice and developing in the CHL is completely different for them than it is for Russians who become worse players in the CHL. How about "CHL kids" on Team Russia? Why were they invisible and ineffective?

Reactions: BMann and Flynn84

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Btw he's already gotten Kaprizov. Kaprizov had his rookie MHL season at age 16/17 and scored 18+16 in 52 games. Michkov is 22+12 in 35 games (34 if you don't count the last game, where he got 5+20 on the 5th min). Michkov is 8 months younger, than Kaprizov was.

Reactions: Bruhin

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
His SOG/GP still insane too at 4.3, in comparison Kucherov was at 1.9 and Marchenko at 2.6. We don’t have TOI for Marchenko or Kucherov but Michkov is ”only” at 15:43 TOI/GP so it’s not inflated and I doubt the others had less TOI per game.

Reactions: CanuckCity

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
2+1 in the 3rd period, second three point game in a row.

Good to hear him doing well. Nice deke there.

Hopefully some normalcy returns soon and us Canadian fans can get a good look at him in person at the November Super Series. One of the best prospects I’ve seen at this age in a long time.

He still has several years of U-20 eligibility left, heck of a player. As I’ve mentioned before he really attacks the middle of the ice well, and those traits usually translate well to smaller ice when he eventually comes over to NA.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Ah, ok. Didn't knew KHL had age rules.
He could play pro hockey here in Finland.
The player needs to be 17 (see how the age is counted) to play in the KHL & VHL.

Article 16, #22
The Hockey Player’s age is determined based on the year of birth as of the season start and is valid during the entire season.

So, Michkov can play as early as next season.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
3.Which KHLers do you mean? Two 18 year olds? You are salty and ignore facts. All Canadians are CHLers. They have no choice and developing in the CHL is completely different for them than it is for Russians who become worse players in the CHL. How about "CHL kids" on Team Russia? Why were they invisible and ineffective?
Nope and nope. 3 of Canada's best players, including their starting goalie, weren't CHL'ers. Have you heard of the ncaa ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad