RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Nah, 3 goals in 4 games.

I think, he's going to score a lot this season, because he plays on the 1st line with Spiridonov and Khusnutdinov, and they've started clicking.

Would have to imagine Spiridonov and Khusnutdinov are likely to be promoted at some point though .

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Would have to imagine Spiridonov and Khusnutdinov are likely to be promoted at some point though .

If it was a usual season, I'd say they would miss a lot of MHL games due to international tournaments, but it's 2020, so I don't think it'll happen. As to promotion, it's hard to say right now.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Anyone thinks he might have a potential ceiling of the Ovechkin / Malkin tier?
If we talk about pure talent and skills with the puck, I'd say yes. But he is much less gifted as an athlete, so it is very difficult to understand how he will play against bigger and stronger men. And as Kshandoo mentioned, Michkov's skating needs to be improved.

Reactions: JotAlan

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hype is getting real with this kid. His District Cup numbers were absolutely off the charts good. Those types of scoring numbers I am assuming are incredibly rare at the District Cup level I am assuming?

Fantastic puck control, board play, agility, and hockey IQ in the tape I’ve seen on him and what has been posted here. Looks to be best Russian prospect in the last number of years.

Best since Malkin? I know Malkin had more size and strength at the same age. How does he compare for the Russian posters who saw both at the same age? I remember hearing about this Michkov kid last year. Looks like potentially one of those generational talents that the hockey world knows about when they’re like 14 years old. Similar to Crosby, McDavid, Bobby Orr, etc.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Anyone thinks he might have a potential ceiling of the Ovechkin / Malkin tier?
3 goals in his first 4 MHL games as a 15 y.o.. His talent is obviously special. His development will deterine whether he continues on that elite curve.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hype is getting real with this kid. His District Cup numbers were absolutely off the charts good. Those types of scoring numbers I am assuming are incredibly rare at the District Cup level I am assuming?

Fantastic puck control, board play, agility, and hockey IQ in the tape I’ve seen on him and what has been posted here. Looks to be best Russian prospect in the last number of years.

Best since Malkin? I know Malkin had more size and strength at the same age. How does he compare for the Russian posters who saw both at the same age? I remember hearing about this Michkov kid last year. Looks like potentially one of those generational talents that the hockey world knows about when they’re like 14 years old. Similar to Crosby, McDavid, Bobby Orr, etc.
If you compare his numners to the runnerups you get the idea of how good he is. And those guys are usually also older. Right now his 3 goals and points are nothing out of the ordinary in the MHL, but the league's scoring leader is 20. That's FIVE years older. Michkov also leads his team in goal scoring. Looks llike he is going to keep his pace for now on a new level.

Reactions: snipes

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Malkin wasn't this hyped at 15/16. The year before he was drafted, there was still some debate on whether he was better than Olesz.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you compare his numners to the runnerups you get the idea of how good he is. And those guys are usually also older. Right now his 3 goals and points are nothing out of the ordinary in the MHL, but the league's scoring leader is 20. That's FIVE years older. Michkov also leads his team in goal scoring. Looks llike he is going to keep his pace for now on a new level.

Yeah those are pretty eye popping numbers. He’s obviously doing some extraordinary things. Those District Cup numbers are unlike anything I’ve seen before, that’s your neck of woods. Have you ever seen anything that dominant at that age level? Might have to go back to Soviet days for that type of dominance.

I anticipate this will be a busy thread in the coming years. I look forward to reading yours and other Russian posters like @Kshahdoo and @Caser who know our sport well.

Looking forward to getting a look at him in the U20 Super Series when he comes over to Canada for the November tradition in the years to come.

He’s looking like the best Russian forward prospect in a generation. I’ll be following this thread closely.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
For you, is the Makarov level above Ovechkin / Malkin? How much above?

Well, Makarov at his prime was pretty close to Gretzky/Mario. He is probably the best dangler ever (Dats and Kovalev weren't good enough skaters to be on his level). He also was a great playmaker, great scorer, decent 2-way player, and one of the best PKer ever. So I think, Makarov overall had bigger influence on the game, than Ovi or Malkin, as a multidimentional player.

Like, take Panarin, improve his skating by level or two, add even more grittiness and 2-way play, and you get, what Makarov was. And don't forget, that Panarin is kinda a late bloomer, while Makarov was great his whole career, from 20 to 30+ yo.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For you, is the Makarov level above Ovechkin / Malkin? How much above?
Makarov is in the discussion for best russian forward ever. In a group of maybe 3-4 players. That is a tier even guys like Ovechkin and Malkin would have to be squeezed in. And in many discussions they won't pass the gate. Makarov was Datsyuk's hockey IQ and puck handling with Bure's speed and goal-scoring ability and Fedorov's smooth skating. Pretty hard to beat that.

I can see where comparisons for Michkov are coming from because he is a goal scorer. But that's a very high bar to be measured at. If Michkov ever only scratches that level(that is where I see Ovechkin and Malkin, a tad below, just a tad, but still) he would be one of the all time greats. So it is a huge advance at this point.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well, Makarov at his prime was pretty close to Gretzky/Mario. He is probably the best dangler ever (Dats and Kovalev weren't good enough skaters to be on his level). He also was a great playmaker, great scorer, decent 2-way player, and one of the best PKer ever. So I think, Makarov overall had bigger influence on the game, than Ovi or Malkin, as a multidimentional player.

Like, take Panarin, improve his skating by level or two, add even more grittiness and 2-way play, and you get, what Makarov was. And don't forget, that Panarin is kinda a late bloomer, while Makarov was great his whole career, from 20 to 30+ yo.
He wasn't "pretty close" to the NA deities one dares not critisize in NA. He was at the very least and easily on the same level. Actually better and that's where North Americans get their haert attacks:laugh:

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020

So, without improving skating, do you still design him as an Ovechkin / Malkin player?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think it also depends how much more he grows physically, is he going to be a 6’3 200 lbs beast or a 6’0 180 lbs shifty winger

I think he'd be lucky to reach 6'0 at this point. Of course it can happen at his age but it's not that common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad