RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Apparently he will play this season for SKA-1946 and not for Varyagi as some imagined.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So he sometimes looked overwhelmed physically, but they played vs one of the top MHL teams, that was big, fast and pretty adult. His shot, though, is probably the best on the team, and his IQ is top-notch as well. At one moment he made a pass on Khusnutdinov from behind the goals, and Khusnutdinov just didn't expect it, and there were other episodes, where he outsmarted not only opponents, but his team-mates as well, they simply didn't expect such plays from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas2000

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
So he sometimes looked overwhelmed physically, but they played vs one of the top MHL teams, that was big, fast and pretty old. His shot, though, is probably the best on the team, and his IQ is top-notch as well. At one moment he made a pass on Khusnutdinov from behind the goals, and Khusnutdinov just didn't expect it, and there were other episodes, where he outsmarted not only opponents, but his team-mates as well, they simply didn't expect such plays from him.
Too young to play in the MHL. I think he will be demoted soon.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Demoted where? It was just said he made great plays and scored a goal for his team, why would we talking demotion already??

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I doubt it. I think, he will get used to the league's speed and physicality pretty soon, and his shot, hands and IQ will make him a top player on the team. Then, not every MHL team is as good as Dynamo SPb (the team they played against), so I think Michkov will look much better vs weaker ones. Overall, I think, PPG season is pretty possible for him, which will be great, considering MHL isn't as high scoring league as CHL.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I doubt it. I think, he will get used to the league's speed and physicality pretty soon, and his shot, hands and IQ will make him a top player on the team. Then, not every MHL team is as good as Dynamo SPb (the team they played against), so I think Michkov will look much better vs weaker ones. Overall, I think, PPG season is pretty possible for him, which will be great, considering MHL isn't as high scoring league as CHL.
I disagree. He's only 15 after all. I don't understand how he was allowed to play there in the first place.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Was there some kind of exceptional status? Why he could only play when he turned 16 in December.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Was there some kind of exceptional status? Why he could only play when he turned 16 in December.
If you were born in 2004 you are allowed to play only after some thorough medical examination and an approval from the commission which decides whether you are allowed to play or not. Michkov was born in december of 2004...
Yeah, and 15 yo play somehow in the CHL, which is even tougher, than MHL... at least physically.
I doubt it. And Michkov just barely made it to be considered for an exceptional status.

Last edited:
Reactions: JotAlan

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's the youngest player but there's players within 1.5 months of him or so, another born in October. Of course, I'm not expecting anyone else out of the u17 players like him to be anywhere near him in scoring, but playing in MHL as u-17 isn't all that unusual. It's definitely not like exceptional status in CHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Demoted where? It was just said he made great plays and scored a goal for his team, why would we talking demotion already??
Don't bother. That's our negativity provider here for everything Russia and SKA in particular. He is just desperately trying to defend his opinion which looks exceptionally ridiculous after Michkov has had such a great debut in the MHL.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
I just finished watching his YOG tournament performances.

He's one of those puck hounds who is always buzzing around the offensive zone to provide puck support. A high-possession player.

I saw a lot of this from him, sort of like how Nico Hischier swerves along the boards to shield the puck. That's Hischier in the GIF below at the 2017 World Juniors.

giphy.gif

I think Michkov plays a more powerful, explosive style. Nico has always had to wind up a little bit to reach top speed. Based on his current height and weight, he'll probably be stronger than Hischier at the same age too.

If we're looking at comparisons strictly on the basis of style, I suppose Alexander Barabanov, the newest Toronto Maple Leafs signing and former SKA St. Petersburg member, plays that same type of game as well.

His edgework is excellent. He is very agile, and he really loves to pivot and protect the puck along the boards with back-and-forth maneuvers. He uses his agility to slide into open areas of the ice with the puck, especially from the right wall into the lower slot and from the corner towards the net. He also likes to switch from the right half-wall to the goal line. Those are his two favorite areas of the ice.

He has a tendency to cherry pick a bit too much, though. He sometimes cheats for a breakaway outlet when he should be back in his own zone. Michkov is definitely an offense-first player.

He reads the opponent well, though, and uses his quickness often to strip the puck away from them. He's a good forechecker.

There's quite a lot of potential there. He's an elusive skater who plays an agility-based power game. He's still three years away from being drafted, but there's a strong foundation there already.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He needs to improve his speed skating. Right now he looks kinda like Nikita Gusev (his favorite player btw): excelent agility, edge work, IQ, shot etc, but his explosiveness and speed aren't good, which is especially obvious vs big, psysically tough and fast opponents.

And he should forget about his kid hockey habbits as soon as possible. He isn't the main star on the team anymore, SKA-1946 is full of good and older players, they aren't gonna play like there is nobody around to score goals but Michkov, as it was on his kid team.

I think, they should send him to SKA Varyagi, because he's a 3rd-4th liner on 1946, which isn't his game. This last game they just benched his whole line in the middle of the 3rd, when the situation became tough. Kinda weird decision for a junior hockey, like they play to win and not to develop kids.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He needs to improve his speed skating. Right now he looks kinda like Nikita Gusev (his favorite player btw): excelent agility, edge work, IQ, shot etc, but his explosiveness and speed aren't good, which is especially obvious vs big, psysically tough and fast opponents.

And he should forget about his kid hockey habbits as soon as possible. He isn't the main star on the team anymore, SKA-1946 is full of good and older players, they aren't gonna play like there is nobody around to score goals but Michkov, as it was on his kid team.

I think, they should send him to SKA Varyagi, because he's a 3rd-4th liner on 1946, which isn't his game. This last game they just benched his whole line in the middle of the 3rd, when the situation became tough. Kinda weird decision for a junior hockey, like they play to win and not to develop kids.

He should play or he may think of going to NA if he is getting benched which would be worse case.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Played on the 1st line with Spiridonov and Khusnutdinov. That line didn't have any chemistry without Michkov, and they don't have any chemistry with Michkov. Spiridonov and Khusnutdinov are considered leaders of the team, but both have been looking not that great so far this season.

CambieKev

Aug 26, 2019
Here's a short excerpt from the Eight-Minute Insights video above. Some of his great plays along the boards.

CambieKev

Aug 26, 2019
I'd say, his MHL play is more interesting. The difference between MHL and even world's best U16 teams is huge.
I saw your comment on YT. Thanks for all the work you do tracking these prospects. It's much appreciated!

It's definitely going to be intriguing to follow his current MHL campaign. We'll see how well his game translates from the U16s to the MHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad