RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Russian media hit-job on Podkolzin today....guess he's not resigning with SKA.

В Канаде истерика: якобы СКА убивает карьеру русского таланта. Но, кажется, его просто переоценили

In Canada, hysteria: allegedly SKA is killing the career of Russian talent. But it seems he was just overrated For the captain of the Russian youth team Vasily Podkolzin, the upcoming World Cup should be a defining stage in his career. The forward in the KHL rested his head on the wall and in SKA he hardly progresses. Two years ago, one of the most influential functionaries of Russian hockey, Roman Rotenberg, speaking about the universalism of the young player, compared him with Connor McDavid. Let's be fair to those words. There was no question of a comparable level of talent. Although in the public mind the idea of a "Russian MacDavid" has taken root. Although in terms of role, manner and their best qualities, these are completely two different players. I remember the story of the owner of the football "Spartak" Leonid Fedun as a failed prophet. He inadvertently called the young pupil of the club academy Denis Davydov "Russian Messi." Where the unrevealed striker is playing now, without the help of the Internet, you can't remember right away. Podkolzin, unlike Davydov, who lifted his nose ahead of time and lost his motivation, plows conscientiously. Whoever I spoke to from those who know him closely, not a single one doubted the professional attitude of the SKA forward to business. There can be no question of any "star". owever, the young Russian does not dominate even among his peers, and does not stand out at all in the KHL, gaining a modest 6 (2 + 4) points in 24 matches. In the last championship, he showed about the same indicators - 8 (2 + 6) points in 30 games, although he spent on the ice more than two minutes less on average. Last summer, Podkolzina chose Vancouver high in the first round, and the hype around the striker's name grew to a completely indecent size. This is Canada, and every step of the future, as they say, the stars are viewed under a magnifying glass. I can remember something similar only in relation to Nail Yakupov and Edmonton. Vancouver Madness This season, when the striker sometimes dropped out of the main SKA squad and did not score points, not only ordinary fans, but also journalists who called to “save Podkolzin” were in a dizzying mood. Vancouver TSN journalist Rick Dahlival even contacted Rotenberg to find out why the striker was released for a while in the VHL. All of this was almost hysterical. Like, SKA deliberately strangles a player who does not want to stay in Russia. This is not yet a fully resolved issue. Unlike his usual partners in the troika Ivan Morozov and Kirill Marchenko, the forward did not extend the contract with the club, which almost unequivocally hints about Podkolzin's immediate plans. But Vancouver has done absolutely nothing for the hockey player, whom it considers almost his property. The situation improved only after the striker was called up to the youth team, and he played great in the Karjala Cup. Canucks General Manager Jim Benning has a nice touch about the forward's growth and how he is expected in Canada. From the outside, he looks like a lawyer trying to justify the high pick of the 10th overall pick in the 2019 draft. Local media are also doing the usual propaganda work, praising the prospect in every way. Maybe the expectations have dropped a little, but for Podkolzin they still draw a place in the top 6 somewhere next to Elias Pettersson or Bo Horvath - the young leaders of Vancouver's offense. It looks extremely utopian. The SKA forward is efficient, he can pull the puck, he is good at playing along, plows defensively and is good at martial arts. They say that he behaves very correctly in the locker room and in training. But the "wow effect" in his actions is not visible. Skating is still imperfect. The throw never became a lethal weapon. At the age of 19, giving up on Podkolzin is a big mistake. But the positive dynamics is almost invisible. There were almost no cases when a player did not reveal himself in Russia, but later played in North America. The same Nikita Kucherov spent less than half of the season in the KHL and at the same time tore up opponents in the MHL, the Quebec league, and at the youth and junior world championships. Podkolzin's assets include the Glinka Memorial in August 2018, at which he became the top scorer of the tournament with Alexis Lafrenier. In December of the same year, he managed to prove himself just as great at the Youth Challenge Cup in Alberta, Canada, which in many respects secured a place for himself at the MFM-2019 in Vancouver. Since then, there have been only splashes in individual games. We remember the bright juniors of the last decade - in the KHL, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Vladimir Tarasenko, Kirill Kaprizov, Pavel Buchnevich looked much brighter. Chance for MFM You can blame the non-stop rotation in the club for everything, where Vasily was torn between troikas and leagues. But many can only dream about it. Rotenberg and Valery Bragin took Podkolzin to the World Youth Championship for another 17 years, almost in advance. He was given a lot of chances to prove himself in the SKA system. However, it cannot be said that Vasily was able to fully use them. He gives all the best, works like a seasoned professional and does not progress, unlike Ivan Morozov and Kirill Marchenko, who were born a year earlier. An interesting detail: Podkolzin begins to look bright, only when he comes out with them in one triple. This was the case both last season and this one. “In this combination, he feels more liberated,” admitted Bragin. - He also sometimes plays well with others. Young, there are some differences. " The coach did not go deeper into details. The World Youth Championship was and remains a tournament that can dramatically change a player's career. Send him into outer space or bury the chances of seriously climbing somewhere. After a successful performance, psychological confidence appears, which is very important at such a tender age, and well-founded claims to a firm place in the main team at the KHL level. Podkolzin seems imperturbable and icy only from the outside. For him, as well as for any young player, emotions and psychology are important. Igor Larionov, judging by the Karjala Cup, knows what to do. In the role of captain and leader, Podkolzin looked great. If he shows himself in the same way at the World Championships, he will receive a great impetus for growth. It is probably naive to expect that the forward will grow into a figure of a galactic scale. At 19, however, there is still room for progress. In an ideal world, he could accompany Ivan Barbashev on the flank of the holding three of the ideal Russian national team in two or three years. Let's be realistic. That's not bad either.

Put people on here told me that there can’t be politics involved:laugh:

The article is not a complete hit job though to be completely honest, But at the same time it was clearly taking huge shots at the Vancouver media, basically a back-and-forth between Russia and Canada when it comes to this prospect which is actually kind of funny

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Wow, is Vince Lombardi alive and writing in Russian? What a great (perhaps unintended) motivational screed for Podkolzin to work his butt off at the World Juniors and then get his ass out of Russia!

The writer applauds Podkolzin's character, so it's not truly deflating of him personally. It's just that he hasn't proven very much in the KHL, except with those two other guys as a unit. It's not all that unfair. But still, the tone is pretty suffocating and belittling in its overall effect, and I think it might well add to the iron in the blood to get away to new pastures where he could well become a member of a different talented trio, say with Horvat or Pettersson as the pivot.

The last couple of sentences are the kicker . . . as in the rhetorical boot out the door. "Yeah, you might rise to the level of Barbashev, realistically, and that ain't bad." Whack. I like Barbashev as a player, but not if he were a 10th overall instead of a second-rounder. The Canucks could sure use a Barbashev. But I'm pretty sure that Podkolzin, the Canucks, and the fanbase have a little more than that in mind.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
All I’m saying is, we’re gonna look back in a couple years in this thread, and we’re all gonna be absolutely cracking up.

I have no doubt in my mind he will perform extremely well with playing time, either 15 minutes for the NHL, or 20 minutes in the AHL.

I have watched him enough to know he is going to be very very good

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What's so bad about that article?
The constant need to overreact to what someone else is saying. Again, I understand the "bad west capitalist dogs talking trash about Russian might etc." always sold papers/got clicks in Russia but I'd love to see someone taking a high road for once.

At the same time, it offers no in-depth look or insight, it just pumps fuel into the fire. Like the words about him only playing well with Morozov and Marchenko. Was he even given a decent chance to play/form some chemistry with anyone else? But I'm not going to go into this.

The article has as many "thumbs down" as "thumbs up" even though I have no doubt it's mostly Russian readers so even those are split 50/50 between it "telling the truth" and being garbage in its tone and assessments.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
So I just used Google translate on the comment section, basically 95% of the people are absolutely ripping the article and the author.

Also the like to dislike ratio is kind of funny as well

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
LOL You are ripping parts of the article out of context again. It is a mostly good and proper article as opposed to the hysterical Vancouver media BS. That is probably what hurts your feelings.

Welcome to the real world. People in Russia find the hysteria about Podkolzin in Vancouver hilarious.

I knew you were the author!!....
I'll support the talented kid whom SKA continues to beat with carrots & sticks (mostly sticks)...others are free to lick Bragin's KHL boots.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Doing what Lucbourdon mentions above is very instructive: Russian fans reacting to that article and not defending either the author or the KHL. It's easy and well worth checking out the comments with Google translate set on Russian to English. Some of the insults are hilarious too :)

There's a lot more, with examples of Russian kids not starring at home but starring in the NHL, that kind of detail. Here's just one of the Russian fan comments which I think we all can relate to. It's a bit overheated, like our comments often are, but the only thing "foreign" about it is the alphabet:

"The guy is only 19 years old and no one makes a Russian McDavid out of him, except for the author of the article and Rottenberg. A lot of high-flown words, but almost no analysis. Where is the analysis of the line-ups and games in which the SKA player came out? But, it really could show the real state of the hockey player. But apparently, the real analysis was not included in the plans of the writer. IMHO, all this scribbling looks like serving the interests of big capital to the detriment of the interests of a professional athlete. From the side it is rather disgusting and disgusting."

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The constant need to overreact to what someone else is saying. Again, I understand the "bad west capitalist dogs talking trash about Russian might etc." always sold papers/got clicks in Russia but I'd love to see someone taking a high road for once.

At the same time, it offers no in-depth look or insight, it just pumps fuel into the fire. Like the words about him only playing well with Morozov and Marchenko. Was he even given a decent chance to play/form some chemistry with anyone else? But I'm not going to go into this.

The article has as many "thumbs down" as "thumbs up" even though I have no doubt it's mostly Russian readers so even those are split 50/50 between it "telling the truth" and being garbage in its tone and assessments.
Yeah, right, we are going to judge the article by the thumbs ups and thumbs downs :help::help::help:

How about it's a very political conspiracy by canadian neo-trozkists sending out their troll-armies to thumb down the article?:sarcasm:

No, seriouly, it's 2020. Judging anything by the "likes" is as foolish as it is inaccurate and irresponsible.

Now let's face your poor understandig of the realities in Russia. "I understand the "bad west capitalist dogs talking trash about Russian might etc." always sold papers/got clicks in Russia" Like seriously? Are you sure you haven't read this in some american propaganda leaflet about Russia? That's the whole point. I did not want to be harsh on the canadian audience, but we do pity their praised "free journalism" go to the dogs as we see what is happening to their media and politics. This kind of blunt propaganda is something we read from overseas, yes, but russian media, at least it's "anti-western" part that is supposed to do what you are saying there is way more thoughtful and balanced nowadays and nobody in Russia is craving some anti-western propaganda every day, except for some marginals who exist for every most weird idea and obsession. You won't generate clicks in Russia with writing a plain aggressive, non-researched, narrative based and/or narrative creating BS about "bad, bad Canadians". Russians won't buy Canadians are setting great plots in motion to just hurt one player's development:sarcasm: We've been through the typical propaganda warfare in Cold War days, we know what it looks like from a mile awy.

"The constant need to overreact to what someone else is saying" I rather see some analysis of what is really going on in Vancouver media now. What's wrong with that? Should we be deaf and blind to what anybody else is saying about our players?

"At the same time, it offers no in-depth look or insight" It does. At least at a way mre appropriate level than the Vancouver journalists who write their stuff without any research or knowledge it seems. Maybe, just maybe, if the canadian journalist would be paying more attention towhat they are writing about and research more they'd produce some appropriate content. Maybe they should start paying attention to the russian press or OMG! or try talking to the people they are writing about based on their phobias andpipe dreams.

And hey! There are idiot-journalist in Russia too. And even they aren't trying to sell some anti-canadian, anti-american conspiracy theories. It's not about conspiracies. It's really about what generates hype. And obviously this kind of stuff does not interest the russian public which is indeed way more focused on internal affairs and KHL "scandals". You though forget it's one article(and it's okay to have one of this kind) that adresses the issue. One out of thousand that aren't. It's not like theere is a journalistic crusade against the Vancouver media. It looks way more like it the other way round.

"it just pumps fuel into the fire" Which one? There is only one in Vancouver going so far.

"Like the words about him only playing well with Morozov and Marchenko" You are doing the same thing. Ripping it out of context. He does play well on that line... at times. But the article also actually goes on analyzing why that is and if people in the know actually confirm this(they don't).

"Was he even given a decent chance to play/form some chemistry with anyone else?" The article does adress this too.

The unpleasant truths about the canadian media and officials are actually all true as we know. I don't see a problem with calling them out therefore.

The journalist has an opinion. It is in the title: he does not agree with canadian journalists starting a riot and he thinks Podkolzin is just a bit overrated. I agree with the first statement, I disagree with the second one. That's how it works. I don't have to agree with what any wiriter has to say. He does offer an understandable argumantation to his point though. Something I miss with the canadian guys who seem to copy and paste their articles from each other instead of as mentioned above do some proper research.

Reactions: bukwas

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm surprised Russian media pays that much attention. They even referenced a hashtag Canucks fans use on Twitter :laugh:
Maybe if canadian journalists would "pay attention", they would actually write some readable articles instead of their narrative-reiterating BS. Part of research is actually trying to get information from all available sources and not thinking things up.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Doing what Lucbourdon mentions above is very instructive: Russian fans reacting to that article and not defending either the author or the KHL. It's easy and well worth checking out the comments with Google translate set on Russian to English. Some of the insults are hilarious too :)

There's a lot more, with examples of Russian kids not starring at home but starring in the NHL, that kind of detail. Here's just one of the Russian fan comments which I think we all can relate to. It's a bit overheated, like our comments often are, but the only thing "foreign" about it is the alphabet:

"The guy is only 19 years old and no one makes a Russian McDavid out of him, except for the author of the article and Rottenberg. A lot of high-flown words, but almost no analysis. Where is the analysis of the line-ups and games in which the SKA player came out? But, it really could show the real state of the hockey player. But apparently, the real analysis was not included in the plans of the writer. IMHO, all this scribbling looks like serving the interests of big capital to the detriment of the interests of a professional athlete. From the side it is rather disgusting and disgusting."
How many "russian" fans reacted? 20? How many of them are actually russian? I am not saying they aren't. I am saying it's the internets. Unless I get veryfiable information, comments on the internets might as well be computer generated or a product of one lunatic with a hunded accounts and too much time on his hands. How many are actually knowledgeable? Now we are basing anything on internets comeents?

Also, are there idiots in Russia. Oh, yeah, sadly more than I dould like to have here. What of it though? Again, it's not like we have veryfiable input form people who know what they are talking about.

"There's a lot more, with examples of Russian kids not starring at home but starring in the NHL" :laugh::laugh::laugh: LOL W.H.A.T? You got any names? I mean, I understand how propaganda works very well. it's a Hydra ultimately generating self-propelled narratives which feed themselves and gernereate new ones. And that is exactly what I see now coming out of Canada. People create simulacrous narratives and start believing them, tossing them back and forth never trying to watch beyonf the bubble those nerrative created for them. And yes, OMG! it even works in Russia partially. And in the same way. Some people are dumb enough to buy into your narratives and they get lost in the same bubble. The problem is facts though.

So I ask again. Names? The names those morons in the comments bring up only show how ignorant they are. I mean it's hilarious even and I would not read this kind of nothing unless this absurd thread would not have forced me to. They seriously claim Panarin is an example for not having success in Russia? Or Datsuyk? Seriously?

I know why I am not reading comments. The marginal fraction of people who comment on SEks(that's the resource's nickname and that for a reason) seem to be quite a bunch of morons. Good to know and stay away for a while longer.

But you go on to quote one the most moronic ones. LOL Where did the wruiter call Podkolzin the russian McDavid? A plain lie there. Rotenberg did say it once. But it is again ripped out of context. He never claimed Podkolzin to be equal in talent. No analysis? Really? There is quite a bit of it in it. As I mentioned in another post, way more than in those canadian pamphlets on the matter. I might not agree with the writer's analysis conclusions, but to say there is no analysis is again a lie. Where is this idiot of a comment-writer analysis of SKA's lineups? The last sentence is incomprehensibly stupid. So yeah, go on, find the most stupid comments ever on the russian internet and quote them. That will certainly help you cause:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yeah, i think Podkolzin will sit rest of the KHL season. (or plays in the VHL)

Yesterday SKA traded 3 players for a top line Swedish RW Malte Strömwall. (2 forwards, 1 d man)
18-19 scored about 60 points in the SM-Liiga, in his first KHL he scored 21 goals, 40 points in 52 games, this season
he was the leading goal scorer and 2nd in points for HK Sochi.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008

Yesterday SKA traded 3 players for a top line Swedish RW Malte Strömwall. (2 forwards, 1 d man)
18-19 scored about 60 points in the SM-Liiga, in his first KHL he scored 21 goals, 40 points in 52 games, this season
For once I agree with you.
This is it for Pod in the KHL, I hope he gets sent down and stays down, it's not healthy being up right now.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

It's amazing with which vigor this thread produces fake-news and narratives.

1.Which rest of the regular season? Podkolzin is with the WJC squad until mid January. After that there is a month and half left of the regular season. You are predicting where and how he is going to play after the WJC? May I borrow your crystal ball? Because I have no idea if he will be healthy and my "crystal ball" tells me he is going to play another 10+games for SKA in the regular season after the WJC. That is also all that is left by then.

2.Top line swedish RW? When did a 16pts player become a a top-line RW? Just because he was a top-line player on an utterly atrocious roster of Sochi this season(and he wasn't even able to score more given all the chances), doesn't mean he will come anywhere near that role on SKA. SKA got another good but not great player. They have bunches of those. SKA is plugging WJC holes and making depth moves like all rich teams do mid-way through the season. I don't see how this signing could affect SKA's rotation going forward. Literally nothing will have changed when Podkolzin is back.... in a month and a half. But let's push the hysteria, right?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For once I agree with you.
This is it for Pod in the KHL, I hope he gets sent down and stays down, it's not healthy being up right now.
Oh, he has already been sent down to juniors to stay there. He is at WJC camp:sarcasm:

You people are absurd.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'll support the talented kid whom SKA continues to beat with carrots & sticks (mostly sticks)...others are free to lick Bragin's KHL boots.
You sure you are not a time traveller from the 30s Germany? You sound a lot like one.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for asking, but I have nothing to do with the profession of writing useless stuff for the masses. I am soryy to hear too, that licking boots is a common practice where you come from. Seems disgusting. Just like the sticks. We here don't know much about that stuff unless from history.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Hey Luc, have you watched a full KHL game or just the Twitter clips?

Total, not just the KHL, I’ve probably watched about eight games or so of pod.

I also watched the entire tournament this year

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Why is this thread so polarizing? More so than any Canucks prospect in recent history with trolls galore.

The reality is Podkolzin is going sign with the Canucks after this season and play on the second line next to Horvat. You can judge him then.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Total, not just the KHL, I’ve probably watched about eight games or so of pod.

I also watched the entire tournament this year
And you think based on those KHL viewings he’s a top 6 forward on that team deserving of PP time?

I find the lines he’s on play better when he’s not on them. Whether that’s a confidence thing or not I don’t know. Morozov and Marchenko look better with aaltonen and Vey doesn’t look at all dangerous with Pod. He’s a grinder at this level currently.

That Karjala tournament is a significant level below the KHL.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
And you think based on those KHL viewings he’s a top 6 forward on that team deserving of PP time?

I find the lines he’s on play better when he’s not on them. Whether that’s a confidence thing or not I don’t know. Morozov and Marchenko look better with aaltonen and Vey doesn’t look at all dangerous with Pod. He’s a grinder at this level currently.

That Karjala tournament is a significant level below the KHL.

I just see a very unique NHL skill set, he reminds me very much of a similar player we have here in Bo Horvat.

Ball was also quite criticize with his awkward stride, and lots of people did not think you have the offensive potential he had, To a guy who is literally a bull With the way he plays, and I see just similarity after similarity when I watch him play.

And while I understand they are different positions, I feel like his style of play fits the NHL game a lot more, and I’m pretty certain he’s going to be a top six player

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I just see a very unique NHL skill set, he reminds me very much of a similar player we have here in Bo Horvat.

Ball was also quite criticize with his awkward stride, and lots of people did not think you have the offensive potential he had, To a guy who is literally a bull With the way he plays, and I see just similarity after similarity when I watch him play.

And while I understand they are different positions, I feel like his style of play fits the NHL game a lot more, and I’m pretty certain he’s going to be a top six player
Yes but you complain about his current usage not about what he can become in the nhl.

Bo also played his entire 19 year old season on a 4th line.

I’m not saying stylistically it’s not a nice piece to have but I think you’re equating what you hope he becomes to what he is currently.

He’s not good enough to be a top 6 contributor in that league currently.

Also the idea the coach who brought him to two world juniors has it out for him seems absolutely ridiculous.

I hope in time he’s a top 6 forward but he isn’t now and needs to improve a lot if he’s to become one.

it seems like you’re already banking on a Horvat. I’d say he’s not close to that yet.

edit* Vancouver certainly needs a guy who will go hard to the net but he needs to finish. His goal scoring or lack thereof is concerning. But again he’s only 19 time is on his side but it doesn’t mean his semi stagnation isn’t a concern moving forward and that’s on him as well as his situation (which I still feel is reasonable for him - 4th line on a really good deep KHL team).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is fascinating and takes me way back. cannot wait for putin to weigh in so podz has to defect during the wjc by hiding in a laundry basket and being smuggled out of his hotel past the kgb guards by a friendly room service maid. << this is a joke. repeat. a joke.

which is to say the canucks online fanbase is by no mean reasonable, because it is an online fanbase and hence prone to hyperbole. it nevertheless seems to get on fine with swedish media and finnish media and american media concerning the development of top draft picks in foreign leagues. for some reason though it gets a strident hostile prickly dismissive defensive reaction from russia if it dares to do the obvious and question and speculate about the puzzling development path of its biggest prospect.

it seems to me as if perhaps national pride is involved somewhere. like perhaps some russians are annoyed that a player like podz will go to north america to play in some podunk canadian town instead of ska?

anyway, we have two competing narratives to choose from. the wjc offers a great forum to find out if podz is an underachieving yakopov 2.0 malcontent, or a guy good enough for canuck fans to reasonably expect better deployment and for ska to pull out all the stops to try and extend him, up to, and including, shenanigans.

stand by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad