RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Podkolzin is a legit prospect. I see him putting up .5 ppg+ as a 19 YO. Not sure what that would be in historical context, but I'm sure it is up there. If he comes over after the KHL season, I see a real good fit on the Canucks, whether it be top or middle 6. JT Miller will be a very good mentor for Pod as well.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
1G 1 A so far in 3 KHL games as a 19year old playing on the 4th line and getting around 12 min ice time per game is ridiculously good production .

Podz being Podz here. Hard backcheck, contact, take puck hard to the net and danger area.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Potted his first goal today. Looks like he'll end up at minimum 2 points in his first 3 games.
KHL site has him noted at 6'3.5 now...which is odd. He was listed on the KHL website at 6'1 when he was 17/18. Based on recent video's i'd say he looks closer to 6'2. If he has grown an inch that would be a good thing towards elongating his stride.
After another whole season playing against men and physically maturing, i would not be surprised to see him notch 40 points or so in his rookie season. Especially if he plays with one of Pettersson or Horvat. Likely wont be a Calder winner but if he garners a nomination. That would be pretty impressive for Vancouver

Reactions: Szechwan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Going to be several teams, when Podkolzin is a couple years into his NHL career, rethinking their 2019 top 9 pick. Kid is now listed as 6’3” and over 200 pounds. He only just turned 19 this summer, and is a beast. Great skill, hugely competitive, and adds some nasty. It’s becoming more clear why Igor Larionov said Podkolzin reminds him of a young Mark Messier.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Started lightly following the KHL

according to SKA twitter feed he is still on their 4th line

yes kid line with Marchenko and Morozov.

Although i think he is killing penalties as well and net front presence on pp2

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
1G 1 A so far in 3 KHL games as a 19year old playing on the 4th line and getting around 12 min ice time per game is ridiculously good production .

Podz being Podz here. Hard backcheck, contact, take puck hard to the net and danger area.

More so than any stat line, goal or assist highlight, this clip is why Canucks fans are so high on this kid. This is the element that they are missing in their current lineup. He will be a top 5 player out of his draft year.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
More so than any stat line, goal or assist highlight, this clip is why Canucks fans are so high on this kid. This is the element that they are missing in their current lineup. He will be a top 5 player out of his draft year.
Who is your projected top 5.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's the exact type of player Canucks need in the playoffs when going through teams like Vegas, Blues, and Wild.

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli
Podkolzin-Horvat-Boeser

That's a solid top 6

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Who is your projected top 5.
Hughes, Sieder, Dach, Cozens, Podkolzin. Not necessarily in that order, and based on long term outlook, not just last year.

I think it will shake out to be a real good draft, so no disrespect to any other teams prospects. I think Newhook is going to be real good, and is a real good fit for the Avs, Krebs the same in Vegas. Who knows right, but i feel like there are a lot of NHL players from the top 20 last year.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Considering that the KHL season starts so early, and the next NHL season will start so late—is it possible that Podkolzin could join the Canucks part way through next season?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hughes, Sieder, Dach, Cozens, Podkolzin. Not necessarily in that order, and based on long term outlook, not just last year.

I think it will shake out to be a real good draft, so no disrespect to any other teams prospects. I think Newhook is going to be real good, and is a real good fit for the Avs, Krebs the same in Vegas. Who knows right, but i feel like there are a lot of NHL players from the top 20 last year.
Zegras? The guy ranked #1 or #2 on almost every hockey writers prospect list not in NHL....?

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Started lightly following the KHL

according to SKA twitter feed he is still on their 4th line
Don't bother with those line designations in the KHL. They don't mean much and teams would also use them to confuse. He is on a line with fellow youngsters Morozov and Marchenko who are just a year older. Thus they are not getting too much icetime for now, but it does not make them a typical 4th line.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
yes kid line with Marchenko and Morozov.

Although i think he is killing penalties as well and net front presence on pp2
Nope. They are not killing penalties for now. Or at least very very rarely. And for now he is also not on the PP units. That actually makes his production even more impressive.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
To end the "controversy". He is listed as slightly over 6 feet on SKA's site, which sounds about right from watching him.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Can't wait for him to be in the AHL or NHL and instead of playing 4th line minutes, he will play top line minutes on Utica or 3rd line minutes on Vancouver.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Considering that the KHL season starts so early, and the next NHL season will start so late—is it possible that Podkolzin could join the Canucks part way through next season?

yes, he's free after this season

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Can't wait for him to be in the AHL or NHL and instead of playing 4th line minutes, he will play top line minutes on Utica or 3rd line minutes on Vancouver.

Russian players who come over to play in the AHL usually busts most of the time. It's better to leave them in their homelands where they earn ice time and dominate the 2nd best league in the world. Then come over when they're ready.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Russian players who come over to play in the AHL usually busts most of the time. It's better to leave them in their homelands where they earn ice time and dominate the 2nd best league in the world. Then come over when they're ready.

lol.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
If there is a World Jrs this December he will definitely be one of the top players and most likely will be captaining the Russian team. Unless of course he is ripping up the KHL and SKA refuses to loan him to the national team.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If there is a World Jrs this December he will definitely be one of the top players and most likely will be captaining the Russian team. Unless of course he is ripping up the KHL and SKA refuses to loan him to the national team.
SKA would almost certainly let him go in any case. I literally cannot imagine what would have to happen for them to not let him. At the same time, it's the opposite of what you have said. In reality, the better he plays the more unacceptable it would be for "national interest" and the powerful people behind it who happen to own/play a major role in SKA system to not let him go.

Even if it resulted in SKA losing all the games during his leave nobody would care.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
SKA would almost certainly let him go in any case. I literally cannot imagine what would have to happen for them to not let him. At the same time, it's the opposite of what you have said. In reality, the better he plays the more unacceptable it would be for "national interest" and the powerful people behind it who happen to own/play a major role in SKA system to not let him go.

Even if it resulted in SKA losing all the games during his leave nobody would care.

Thats good to hear then! looking forward to Podz at World Jrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad