RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
A lot of guys in this thread would sit 19-year-old Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid on the fourth line, because, hey, you can't play a guy top line minutes just because he's any good.

Podkolzin is no Crosby or McDavid. Like what has been said in recent posts, 1OA players are drafted 1OA because they can already lead their team, guys taken at #10 don't have that yet, they have to learn to play pro and develop in the bottom 6.

Unless you already expect Pod to be the next McD, then woof.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
There are many examples of how the AHL too early for Russian forwards is not good for their development.

this example spans to also non Russian forwards. Kinda unfair you only pinned it to Russians, as without hardship I can also name you examples of AHL being too early for young Canadians or Swedes. Either way, Podkolzin is good enough to play in the KHL, however not good enough to crack it's top 6 lineup into the key roles, as it looks like he's being utilized as a bottom 6 player, and sometimes he will be shuffled into top 6 minutes, (similar to a Jake Virtanen for us), either way, we will sign him when it's time.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I just think he's in the wrong team. This team would rather play Linden freakin Vey 9:48 in the third and give Podkolzin 1 pity minute to chase an equalizer. If I have 4 good lines, I would actually roll them more evenly.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
I just think he's in the wrong team. This team would rather play Linden freakin Vey 9:48 in the third and give Podkolzin 1 pity minute to chase an equalizer. If I have 4 good lines, I would actually roll them more evenly.
I know Linden Vey was unpopular and unsuccessful as a Canuck, but he was a KHL All-Star in 2018 and has been a point-per-game producer over the past few seasons in Russia. He finished fifth in league scoring in 2017-18 and ninth in league scoring in 2019-20 (also 5th in points per game in both campaigns).

Vey has 148 points in 164 regular season games in the KHL since 2017-18. Five points in six games so far this year too.

Last edited:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

Vey is a legit KHLer. Podz is super young and not established.

What benefit would SKA St Petersburhg have in investing ice time on Podz in hopes it will help him develop in the future when they know these young studs are leaving for the NHL asap.

I appreciate the exposure and training that Podz is getting by getting to play a mature game in the 2nd hardest league. He is probably getting more out of being able to practice w them than in he is out of his 10 min a night in a game.

Podz talent and compete level is undeniable tho , its only a matter of time until he gets more minutes.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Vey scored 48 and Podkolzin 8 points last season and you're confused about why they would rather play Vey?

KHL's not a development league, they play to win. And indeed, they don't have a whole lot of incentive to develop him because as soon as Podkolzin starts doing well he's going to go to NHL isn't he?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
honestly, isn't 8-12 minutes a night in the KHL better than 14-18 minutes in the AHL

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
honestly, isn't 8-12 minutes a night in the KHL better than 14-18 minutes in the AHL
Also consider there is likely not going to be an AHL season any time soon. This is a great fit for him right now at SKA. Having to earn every second of ice time at 19 YO is a real good thing. He has looked good doing it so far as well.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Vey scored 48 and Podkolzin 8 points last season and you're confused about why they would rather play Vey?

KHL's not a development league, they play to win. And indeed, they don't have a whole lot of incentive to develop him because as soon as Podkolzin starts doing well he's going to go to NHL isn't he?
I know Vey has been a productive KHLer But it's a catch22 isn't it? You judge Podkolzin based on the sub10 minutes of ice he got last year and Vey with all the favorable deployment and opportunity he got to get his 48 pts. No doubt as a Pod fan I am biased, i think he's underused, and I want to see the ice time spread out a bit more because I am confident that 92 will step up and claim his third line assignment. Playing Vey half the third period and Podkolzin (and Marchenko) a minute is not problematic to you? These are not scrub 4th liners in the NHL. They are supposed to be a deep 4 line team, why are they riding 2?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Whats weird though is Podkolzin was elevated to the 3rd line and then the his former line shits the bed and he gets punished alongside the other youngster when it really wasn’t his fault.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
LMAO, Marchenko goes -3 in the 1st period last game. Today he gets elevated to the 1st line while Podz is still stuck on the 4th.

who is running this circus

marchenko gets his 1st point in 7 games,

podz didnt get hist first shift till 7 minutes into the game

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Vasili Podkolzin has not been getting regular ice time in Russia and it sucks

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Don't let my Vey comment detract from the fact that they are criminally underusing Podkolzin. No, 8 minutes is not great in his D+2 even if he plays for the most vaunted of powerhouses.

SKA is not a powerhouse this season thou...
they lost their entire top 6 after last season.
+ important role players.

They have 8 x 25 year old or younger forwards
and 4 x forwards under 30.

Their D is pretty young as well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
LMAO, Marchenko goes -3 in the 1st period last game. Today he gets elevated to the 1st line while Podz is still stuck on the 4th.

who is running this circus

marchenko gets his 1st point in 7 games,

podz didnt get hist first shift till 7 minutes into the game
Maybe Pod’s leaving after this season plays a part in the coaching decisions?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Maybe Pod’s leaving after this season plays a part in the coaching decisions?

that is the only reason I can think of. The deployment is borderline maddening, why would anyone use Podkolzin as a 13th forward? Kid is a Coach's dream, and Bragin is familiar with, and leaned on, that whole line from international play.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
that is the only reason I can think of. The deployment is borderline maddening, why would anyone use Podkolzin as a 13th forward? Kid is a Coach's dream, and Bragin is familiar with, and leaned on, that whole line from international play.
Pods could be playing through an injury too.
As a Canuck’s fan it doesn’t bother me at all. Pods will be an NHL impact player from his first shift on. Imo he is a finalist for the 2021-2022 Calder. He’s the parting gift from Bracket to the Vancouver fans.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just reading on another forum that Pods is still growing. He’s over 6’3” (maybe even 6’4”?) and 203 pounds. Growth spurts can be physically hard on these young guys. I didn’t realize he’s so young too. He just turned 19 not even three months ago. He’s going to be a friggin’ beast!

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Pods could be playing through an injury too.
As a Canuck’s fan it doesn’t bother me at all. Pods will be an NHL impact player from his first shift on. Imo he is a finalist for the 2021-2022 Calder. He’s the parting gift from Bracket to the Vancouver fans.
Frankly, you have no basis on these judgement calls. I get the unbridled optimism, but every kid needs to make use of every minute of ice time he can get during development, he will not magically dominate the best league in the world, see Kaako. He is not 6'3

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Frankly, you have no basis on these judgement calls. I get the unbridled optimism, but every kid needs to make use of every minute of ice time he can get during development, he will not magically dominate the best league in the world, see Kaako. He is not 6'3
Pods will be great. He will be a finalist fir the Calder. And check his stats on the team site. He’s 6’3 and 203 pounds. Guy is the next Alexander Yakushev. Big, skilled, tough, high compete.
Vasily Podkolzin - Wikipedia
Vasily Podkolzin
Born24 June 2001 (age 19)
Moscow, Russia
Height6 ft 4 in (193 cm)
Weight203 lb (92 kg; 14 st 7 lb)
PositionRight wing
ShootsLeft
KHL teamSKA Saint Petersburg
NHL Draft10th overall, 2019
Vancouver Canucks
Playing career2018–present
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Just gotta keep working hard and getting the most he can in practices vs these Pros.

Then in December he goes away with Team Russia until January so that will be really good for his deployment as well.

Then its just the home stretch and we get him here in North America by Spring.

The plus side is even with his 8 min a game ice time he is still getting more development than prospects ahead of him in his draft class that are supposed to play in NCAA or CHL.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Pods will be great. He will be a finalist fir the Calder. And check his stats on the team site. He’s 6’3 and 203 pounds. Guy is the next Alexander Yakushev. Big, skilled, tough, high compete.
Vasily Podkolzin - Wikipedia
Vasily Podkolzin
Born24 June 2001 (age 19)
Moscow, Russia
Height6 ft 4 in (193 cm)
Weight203 lb (92 kg; 14 st 7 lb)
PositionRight wing
ShootsLeft
KHL teamSKA Saint Petersburg
NHL Draft10th overall, 2019
Vancouver Canucks
Playing career2018–present
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

wiki is unreliable and there's no way Pods is 6'4

Looking at the official SKA site they have him listed at 6'1- 190lbs when they did their measurements before the season started in August

Vasily Podkolzin: biography, statistics, photos, news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad