RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If there is a World Jrs this December he will definitely be one of the top players and most likely will be captaining the Russian team. Unless of course he is ripping up the KHL and SKA refuses to loan him to the national team.
In Russia there is no such nonsense like in the NHL. If a player is invited he MUST go unless injured. The national team is a priority. Junior or senior. All KHLers have played in recent WJC tournaments.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
SKA would almost certainly let him go in any case. I literally cannot imagine what would have to happen for them to not let him. At the same time, it's the opposite of what you have said. In reality, the better he plays the more unacceptable it would be for "national interest" and the powerful people behind it who happen to own/play a major role in SKA system to not let him go.

Even if it resulted in SKA losing all the games during his leave nobody would care.
Why are you trying hard so somehow squeeze Rotenberg in? I don't like him either, but you should know that KHL teams are not allowed to not release players to the NT. It's not up to Rotenberg or whoever.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
But you asked for my list, not theirs?

I’d have him close, but these guys higher.

Exactly. It’s is so close that you can easily have Pods or Zegras not in the top 5 from their draft. After the top 3, you can make an argument for Seider, Cozens, Newhook, Zegras, or Pods being #4 and #5. Personally, I would put Zegras and Pods there as 4 and 5 but I can see the argument for any of those players.

Reactions: Luckylarry

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
What happened to the posts from the guy saying based on his youtube scouting he didnt think Podz had grit and he was all skill?

I think Brian Burke was bang on with what he said on air about Podz on draft night when Van drafted him:

"This is a man, This is not a boy, This man can play right now"

Also note, he is being trusted as a 19 yr old to be on the ice to close out the game with a 1 goal lead. This is unheard of in the KHL

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
If this guys last name was Tkachuk and was Brady and Matthew’s younger brother nobody would blink an eye. People would say all three brothers play the same. Granted people would say he will probably be the worst of the 3 but he plays the same nasty, abrasive style with good skill and IQ as well.

Vancouver has a keeper.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What happened to the posts from the guy saying based on his youtube scouting he didnt think Podz had grit and he was all skill?

I think Brian Burke was bang on with what he said on air about Podz on draft night when Van drafted him:

"This is a man, This is not a boy, This man can play right now"

Also note, he is being trusted as a 19 yr old to be on the ice to close out the game with a 1 goal lead. This is unheard of in the KHL

It is unheard of even in the NHL.

Podkolzin's compete and grit is what separates him from the pack. Russia produces a lot of very skilled, big forwards like Kravtsov, Kostin, Marchenko, but Podkolzin competes the hardest and probably has the most grit. The WJC are coming up and he should be the best player in the tournament if Lafreniere doesn't play.

He is laying out KHL defencemen down and he can still play in the U20. He will be a problem for Canada alone.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I know that Podkolzin is young, really young and he is playing in the 4th line but...
looking at the SKA roster this season...if Podkolzin is that good,
why is he playing 4th line minutes when the team includes players like this:

Miro Aaltonen 3+4=7 | 17-18 Toronto Marlies : 40 points in 64 games
Linden Vey 0+4=4 | career AHL:er, 140+ games in the NHL, 44 points
Joonas Kemppainen 0+3 |15-16 Boston Bruins : 5 points in 44 games

their best russian forwards are : Kuzmenko (3+2) , Tkachyov (1+2), Burdasov (5+1) and Shvets (0+3)

Its not like it would be any trouble him to be/play better what those players, right?
get a bigger role from the team, if he really was that good what most say he is.

- just saying -

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Grinding in the KHL, hopefully he and the rest of the kid line with Marchenko and Morozov get more minutes.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I know that Podkolzin is young, really young and he is playing in the 4th line but...

their best russian forwards are : Kuzmenko (3+2) , Tkachyov (1+2), Burdasov (5+1) and Shvets (0+3)

Its not like it would be any trouble him to be/play better what those players, right?
get a bigger role from the team, if he really was that good what most say he is.

- just saying -
Your "logic" is beyond flawed. Just saying.

Let's take the time machine and go to the year 2008...

Mark Giordano 4g8a in 50gp in the KHL, career AHLer

Now let's jump back to 2020

Justin Azevedo 7 very consistent KHL seasons and even more impressive playoffs. He was a career AHLer too. Not a single NHL game on his resume, but he is now an established KHL vetrean and star.

So you are telling me that a player is bad, because years and years ago he could not make the NHL. Well, then Giordano is no Norris caliber defenceman.

You are also telling me that I should flip an established KHLer with years of positive resume for a 19y.o. just because? Or because that established KHLer could not make the NHL back in the day? Yeah, Justin Azevedo, take a seat, we have a teenager here who is starting to learn about the big leagues. Why? Because you are a career AHLer.

I see what your glasses are. That is that absurd NHL-centrism. Sorry to break it to you, there is whole world outside the NHL. Not only NHL numbers and performances matter. And there is that weird concept of time. Players who once were not good enough for the NHL won't stay the same for the next 50 years. Some will become better, some will become worse. Some will return to NA and have success, some won't.

And most importantly, if Podkolzin was so good, that he could lead a KHL team at 19(not in points or some other fancy stats, but simply be the best player on it), he would have been drafted 1OA and would play in the NHL now. The only players from Podkolzin's draft who played a significant amount of games in the NHL are the top three picks. Most of the others aren't even playing pro hockey and are still in juniors. If they are that good(they were picked before Podkolzin, remember?) why aren't they dethroning established pros left and right? It's called development. And for most players not in that top2-top3 OA tier that means playing in lower leagues and/or less minutes for quite some time.

And stop the BS already about "career AHLers". Aaltonen scored a hattrick just recently, he is established in the league. Period. Why would a sane coach give his spot to a teenager, unless that teenager is Ovechkin?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

- just saying -

Young players get brought up slowly in every league, it's not that complicated. How many players in any given draft are able to lead a professional team while 18-19 years old? How often does a player outside the top 3 lead a professional team on their own as an 18-19 year old?

The difference between the players who get picked at #1, #3, #5, and #10 is that the players who get picked at #1 already have the ability to lead a team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
A lot of guys in this thread would sit 19-year-old Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid on the fourth line, because, hey, you can't play a guy top line minutes just because he's any good.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A lot of guys in this thread would sit 19-year-old Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid on the fourth line, because, hey, you can't play a guy top line minutes just because he's any good.
1.Have you actually read the guys in this thread? The difference between a 1OA kind of talent and Top10 kìnd of talent was explained to you more than once.
2.Podkolzin is not on the 4th line. And that was explained in the thread too.
3.You might want to look up say Kiviranta's TOI on Dallas, the guy who won them a game 7 and had a goal in the clinching game last night. Sorry, but I like the wisdom of a successful coach who has his team winning while distributing icetime the way he sees fit over rants of some fans on HF.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Podz has been elevated and moved up in the lineup and away from Marchenko and Morozov.

score is now 3-0 and I believe Marchenko and Morozov have been on the ice for all 3 goals.

I dont get it, so yes, he's listed on the third line with Galimov who got almost 20 minutes, yes they are stacked, yet they play him 1 minute in the third for a total of 8+ minutes. They came back to tie it 3-3 yet was down 1 since the 6 minute mark of the third. Since no one can get past Garipov, why not let someone other than Vey play? The way they 'develop' youth at SKA is puzzling.... at least Kravtsov at Traktor gets 15+ minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Iron Goalie

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What? It is what it is. Playing in the inferior AHL is just plain stupid if you can play in the KHL.

Because the KHL is actually not a "development" and a full blown professional hockey league, a "prospects" ice time might be massively reduced because KHL teams know that "nhl prospects" will not be playing for that team for very long, and they are more reluctant to actually allocate ice time to players that will be with that particular KHL team in the long run and even allocate ice time to the specific khl's team younger players. This is the issue right now, if a "NHL prospect" has to go through if he wants to "develop" his ice time in the KHL.

You literally said if he can play in the KHL why play in the AHL. Now to what extent is this? Playing 7 minutes of ice time in the KHL in a different setting where the ice is bigger, officiating and rules are a little different? or to play 17 minutes of ice time in the AHL, where his parent can team can actually recall him at anytime they want, vs playing in the KHL where it's literally one year at a time? How close are we to the KHL teams management? Jim Benning is keeping tabs of all prospects in the AHL. He cannot on Podkolzin or a KHL prospect.

your liked comments is just from fans who wants to see podkolzin rot on the 4th line in the KHL for as long as he can. The KHL is not known is a "development" league and if the AHL is such a "inferior" league, then why aren't NHL gm's lining up to the sent their prospects to the KHL or any European league?

The reason why I think the AHL is a better option for him for development is because the Canucks can instruct our coaches in the AHL to allocate more ice time to specific players, a luxury they can't if he's in the KHL. We also have the luxury to even meet up with the prospects on any given time, give them pointers, advice and even watch him if they want to something they really can't if he's in the KHL. We also have the luxury to recall him onto the main roster if he's in the AHL if the management feels he's ready to play in the NHL.

That's just my opinion and I believe it's a reasonable one. I don't think (11 minutes of ice time) is good development for him, despite the league he is one and what makes you think the AHL is a garbage league? on every AHL team there are at least more then a few NHL capable players, can we say the same for the KHL? Well I guess right now, KHL is better then nothing since the AHL is also im limbo next season.

Podkolzin will play out his KHL season and the Canucks will rightfully sign him to his pro contract. If you think he should hang around the KHL for another 2 years, ok fine, I think it's better for him in the AHL so we can monitor him ourselves.

I personally don't have any issues with him in the KHL right now, but I prefer to get him here when his KHL contract is done.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Because the KHL is actually not a "development" and a full blown professional hockey league, a "prospects" ice time might be massively reduced because KHL teams know that "nhl prospects" will not be playing for that team for very long, and they are more reluctant to actually allocate ice time to players that will be with that particular KHL team in the long run and even allocate ice time to the specific khl's team younger players. This is the issue right now, if a "NHL prospect" has to go through if he wants to "develop" his ice time in the KHL.

You literally said if he can play in the KHL why play in the AHL. Now to what extent is this? Playing 7 minutes of ice time in the KHL in a different setting where the ice is bigger, officiating and rules are a little different? or to play 17 minutes of ice time in the AHL, where his parent can team can actually recall him at anytime they want, vs playing in the KHL where it's literally one year at a time? How close are we to the KHL teams management? Jim Benning is keeping tabs of all prospects in the AHL. He cannot on Podkolzin or a KHL prospect.

your liked comments is just from fans who wants to see podkolzin rot on the 4th line in the KHL for as long as he can. The KHL is not known is a "development" league and if the AHL is such a "inferior" league, then why aren't NHL gm's lining up to the sent their prospects to the KHL or any European league?

The reason why I think the AHL is a better option for him for development is because the Canucks can instruct our coaches in the AHL to allocate more ice time to specific players, a luxury they can't if he's in the KHL. We also have the luxury to even meet up with the prospects on any given time, give them pointers, advice and even watch him if they want to something they really can't if he's in the KHL. We also have the luxury to recall him onto the main roster if he's in the AHL if the management feels he's ready to play in the NHL.

That's just my opinion and I believe it's a reasonable one. I don't think (11 minutes of ice time) is good development for him, despite the league he is one and what makes you think the AHL is a garbage league? on every AHL team there are at least more then a few NHL capable players, can we say the same for the KHL? Well I guess right now, KHL is better then nothing since the AHL is also im limbo next season.

Podkolzin will play out his KHL season and the Canucks will rightfully sign him to his pro contract. If you think he should hang around the KHL for another 2 years, ok fine, I think it's better for him in the AHL so we can monitor him ourselves.

I personally don't have any issues with him in the KHL right now, but I prefer to get him here when his KHL contract is done.
I think this will all be moot where Podkolzin is concerned, as he'll be NHL ready right away and would be very unlikely to see AHL time. His game is so well rounded, the Canucks will find a spot for him in the bottom six.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You literally said if he can play in the KHL why play in the AHL. Now to what extent is this? Playing 7 minutes of ice time in the KHL in a different setting where the ice is bigger, officiating and rules are a little different?

There are many examples of how the AHL too early for Russian forwards is not good for their development. Also you should know that most of the rinks in the KHL are the same size as the NHL rinks or hybrid size. There is barely any Olympic ice sheets anymore.

Reactions: FrankGallagher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad