RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Not sure I would expect someone with "Finnish" in their name to be not biased about a Russian prospect lol. Think he is a very good talent. Reminds me of Drai.
I love Russian prospects actually. Most of my favourite players are Russian. I love Malkin, Kucherov, Panarin and Radulov for example. Just don’t think this kid has the talent that the other kids in the top 10 have. Could be wrong, but we’ll see

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I looked back at U18 WJC stats going back 10 years - not 1 NHL top 6 forward failed to at least go a PPG at the U18.
Ryan O'Reilly had 5 points in 6 games as the captain of team Canada.
Sasha Barkov had 3 in 7
Pastrnak had 5 in 7

I found these 3 among my first 4 names that I tried, (Trocheck didn't make the team in his draft year) from players that I considered to be good barometers for Podkolzin because of their defensive play, and because they all had skill sets that allowed them to be as or more productive in the NHL than they were in lesser leagues.

I don't see a 90 point player in Podkolzin, but I see a 60-70 point player that will be one of the better defensive wingers in the league. In my mind, that's a top 5 pick.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Ryan O'Reilly had 5 points in 6 games as the captain of team Canada.
Sasha Barkov had 3 in 7
Pastrnak had 5 in 7

I found these 3 among my first 4 names that I tried, (Trocheck didn't make the team in his draft year) from players that I considered to be good barometers for Podkolzin because of their defensive play, and because they all had skill sets that allowed them to be as or more productive in the NHL than they were in lesser leagues.

I don't see a 90 point player in Podkolzin, but I see a 60-70 point player that will be one of the better defensive wingers in the league. In my mind, that's a top 5 pick.

I should have worded it better - I meant top 10 picks who became top 6 forwards, because Poldkozin is ranked as a top 5 prospect. ROR was a 2nd round pick, Pastrnak a late 1st round pick. Barkov is an outlier. Top picks produce at this tournament.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I should have worded it better - I meant top 10 picks who became top 6 forwards, because Poldkozin is ranked as a top 5 prospect. ROR was a 2nd round pick, Pastrnak a late 1st round pick. Barkov is an outlier. Top picks produce at this tournament.
Barkov was an underager. Podkolzin’s production is worrying, I’d say if you play well but you just don’t produce at any level something’s wrong

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Just one person's opinion expressed below, but if Podkolzin does not pick up his production in the tournament, it makes you wonder if this view will become more widespread.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Barkov was an underager. Podkolzin’s production is worrying, I’d say if you play well but you just don’t produce at any level something’s wrong
Show me how he didn't, "produce at any level."
Dude played on 7 different teams this year.
Led the Hlinka in scoring with 11 pts, including 8 goals in 5 games.
Led the entire U19 in scoring.
PPG in MHL Playoffs.
Had 2 goals, (2nd on team) in VHL playoffs despite missing a 3rd of the games.

Reactions: Hawkey

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Show me how he didn't, "produce at any level."
You just can't win with you guys. Just by looking at stats from previous years he isn't a guy that scores tons of points for his team during the season. I see his potential as a 50-60 point energy winger, that's it

Last edited:

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011

Simply stat watching, he doesn't look overly impressive. You do however need to take into account the type of points he did put up in the limited time he had over various leagues and tournaments. Factor in a carousel of coaches, systems, ice time and linemates and you'll see he put up some meaningful stats in that limited time.

Reactions: cgf

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Simply stat watching, he doesn't look overly impressive. You do however need to take into account the type of points he did put up in the limited time he had over various leagues and tournaments. Factor in a carousel of coaches, systems, ice time and linemates and you'll see he put up some meaningful stats in that limited time.
Of course, but a big part of the game is producing trough adversity and for example injuries. Not seeing any superstar potential with him. Tons of players like Krebs and Dach are ahead of him

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Barkov is not an outlier, he was an underager. Not many players produce well at u-18s at the age of 16.
Funny, the mental gymnastics one has to do to try and make a projected top 3 pick not look terrible. How many early 1st rounders with terrible production and good "intangibles" have been especially successful, exactly? Those tend to be the most likely busts.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

ROR was drafted by the AVs 2nd-#33.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

In fairness to Podkolzin, he does have his supporters, although I question how anyone can watch that game and say that he generated 25-30 scoring chances for teammates. I am not sure I have ever seen anyone generate 25-30 scoring chances for teammates and I watched Mario and Wayne in their prime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad