RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
As a stat watcher, that's one of my concerns as well. Even if he was one of the most skilled prospects, at some point, you need to see some production don't you? Especially from a guy you are going to draft in the top 3 or 5. There are guys who look great and create chances, but just can't seem to get on the scoresheet. Maybe he's one of those guys. Or maybe his skillset translates really well and ends up becoming a star. Who knows?
The kid has never set any league on fire even on junior level stat wise. U16 and U17 level went above PPG in Russia but nothing groundbreaking for a supposed top 5 pick. There are hundreds of skilled guys dominating in juniors but just don’t produce. If this kid ever produces in the NHL, I’ll be extremely surpised

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It appears that Podkolzin as a prospect may be even more polarizing coming out of the U18s. Podkolzin registered a high number of shots, but Russia outshot Belarus 65-19.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think Saturday will be the biggest game of his career (unless he really is as comfortable in Russia as he alluded to in an earlier interview and does not care much about where he is drafted).
If he can put up a show against the US, many people will overlook his pedestrian performance so far and he might still have a shot at going top5.

If he plays just mediocre or disappears again, there is a decent chance that he will really slide down the draft board.
Too many other players are raising their stocks. Especially wingers like Boldy , Newhook (who might or might not be a center at the next level but certainly can be a great winger) and Caufield. With all the questionmarks surrounding Podkolzin, I could easily see these guys surpassing him on the list of teams looking for wingers. Add the crapton of talented centers and the fact that NHL teams love to draft centers high and he could really tumble to the mid-teens if he does not put up a show on Saturday...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see that it matters for Pod if he does underperform, and gets picked #13 instead of #3. His play in the KHL will determine where he goes as a hockey player, not his draft position. You could argue that he would better off being picked lower, and (theoretically) going to a better team.

Who does it matter for? The teams picking early in the draft.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
There is lots not to like about his game.

He anticipates well away from the puck and has the puck skills to grab loose pucks and obstruct the opposition. He is physical and is not afraid to play in traffic. There is significant grit to his game.

However, my biggest complaint now is that he always seems slow when he has the puck, as if his mind is concentrated on just trying to protect the puck and not on what creative moves he must make to generate offense. He can get the puck into the offensive zone often, but too often he'll just try to drive the puck wide towards the net.

When he has the puck in the offensive zone with the opposing defenders protecting their net, he frequently stands still and is forced to move the puck quickly because the opponent closes the gap between themselves and him.

I can see him being a risky pick now because he never seems particularly assertive with the puck. His play with the puck on his stick is quite passive. He is not shifty at all with the puck. He is very predictable offensively.

Here is a great example. He gets the puck in the defensive zone and carries it up the ice with space to do something. He ends up just carrying it all the way up in a straight line and gets trapped in the corner; the opponent smashes him into the boards and he loses possession.

#19 in blue. This play really highlights the good and the bad of his game. Great defensive play, poor offensive play.

So much time and some space to create something, and he does . . . nothing.

Defensively, he reads plays well and can help to transition the play up the ice. He is a good passer and a smooth -- albeit, not fast -- stickhandler. He shoots the puck very well.

It is reasonable to think that he might slip a few spots.

Last edited:

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
He has no issues with straight-line speed, but he doesn't have much more than a straight-line attack off the rush. He is not at all deceptive.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
More of the wide rush.

This rush leads to a goal.

Practically every single noteworthy goal of his is one of these rushes. There is little diversity to his game and he isn't a good enough rusher to be especially effective at it all the time. It's as if he plays with his head down, not aware of his options and always making himself vulnerable to bodychecks from opponents.

Tunnel vision.

I see a lot of effort and hustle in his game, as well as defensive intelligence. He will very likely be an NHL player, but I think his offensive ceiling is lower than most would assume.

Last edited:

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
He is expected to dominate games at u18 level. Him dominating doesn't change anything. His play away from the national team is still questionable
Have you actually watched him in the MHL or VHL? Don't make a statement about how someones play has been off of their EP page, he stands out in the MHL and is strong with flashes of star ability in the VHL too

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I love how some posters jump down peoples throats for saying his stats are underwhelming, and to stop just looking at stats but then provide ZERO reason why he should go 3rd overall. I've ask numerous times and nobody provides any detail what he does so great to put him in the top 3 of the draft. Yes he works hard, that's all i can gather.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up falling out of the top 7.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Once again "played good", but no points or anything to help the team to win. As a top line player you just need to produce. I see him as a 2nd/3rd liner in the NHL if all goes well

Reactions: Ippenator

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The kid has never set any league on fire even on junior level stat wise. U16 and U17 level went above PPG in Russia but nothing groundbreaking for a supposed top 5 pick. There are hundreds of skilled guys dominating in juniors but just don’t produce. If this kid ever produces in the NHL, I’ll be extremely surpised

How do you think Podz compares to Kravstov in his draft year?

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
How do you think Podz compares to Kravstov in his draft year?
Didn't see enough of Kvartsov to make any claims of knowing how he played exactly, but from what I saw from him they are the same calibre as players. I don't expect either to be stars in the NHL. Podkolzin hovers around 12-20 on my list, just don't see the offense. Will be a good playoff player because of his high compete level though, which is a plus in my books!

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Have you actually watched him in the MHL or VHL? Don't make a statement about how someones play has been off of their EP page, he stands out in the MHL and is strong with flashes of star ability in the VHL too
If you don't produce at any level, there's something wrong. Lot's of players are able to dominate junior games with skill, but producing is what wins you games. I don't care how you do it, if you consistently produce, it's a good sign.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I love how some posters jump down peoples throats for saying his stats are underwhelming, and to stop just looking at stats but then provide ZERO reason why he should go 3rd overall. I've ask numerous times and nobody provides any detail what he does so great to put him in the top 3 of the draft. Yes he works hard, that's all i can gather.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up falling out of the top 7.

Because of early lists! :)

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
There are going to be so many scouts scrutinizing him today. If he has a bad game, I wouldn't be surprised if he falls out of the top 7. He needs to show some big game sizzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad