RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 5

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looked great today in both ends of the ice. I think he carves out a spot on the team and sticks in the lineup.
He’s an NHL player. Probably projects as a third line type guy but who knows if he can develop more offense as he’s still only 22. Glad management has been patient with him as every prospect is different. Hoglander didn’t establish himself until this year either and that patience paid huge dividends with him too.
Rick Tochett is a big fan of Podzolkin which helps.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Looked great today in both ends of the ice. I think he carves out a spot on the team and sticks in the lineup.
He’s an NHL player. Probably projects as a third line type guy but who knows if he can develop more offense as he’s still only 22. Glad management has been patient with him as every prospect is different. Hoglander didn’t establish himself until this year either and that patience paid huge dividends with him too.
Rick Tochett is a big fan of Podzolkin which helps.
I'm not sure he has the offensive instincts necessary to make it as a 3rd line player in today's NHL. I do think he can be an NHL regular, though.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I thought he looked far more comfortable than the last time he was up here, which is great progress, and a good sign for how the program is going in Abbotsford. He'll have to go through waivers next year, so this season is his last opportunity of pure development. Next year he will have to contribute at the very least as a 13th forward, or he will find himself on waivers, same situation as Hoglander this season. I think they are going to give him a handful of games here for evaluation and then send him back down to further work on things. Same thing they did with Bains. Raty could follow. Of course, if any of these guys prove themselves essential I think they will stick, but I don't think that was ever the expectation with the call-up. If it doesn't hurt the team to send them down, they are best served using up the last of their waiver exemption on the farm playing heavy minutes. (Bains & Raty have another full year of exemption)
Excellent summary! Agreed he’s looked much better this time compared to his last time with the big club. Have to see if he can keep up his strong play but he looks like he’s an NHL player.

Last edited:
Reactions: BluesyShoes

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yup. Podz needs to play faster (processing) to be an NHLer.
Many times (in his last game), when he was without the puck
he couldn't keep up, he second guessed what he was gonna do.

He first thinks to go and give a opposing player pressure, to check him with his stick
but then he backs down and doesn't do it.

His head keeps turning a lot and he stays still for a second, or two, i saw that few times.
for example, his linemate Garland was moving all the time, engaging the play
constantly; giving pressure, checking..

He does do stuff well at times, important stuff, like i wrote in my post earlier.
I think, he could have ADD? but that's only my speculation.

He does give pressure, engage the play, give back check
but, not nearly enough.

Then his with the puck play, pretty much same issues; too slow, not high enough
hockey IQ, his shot is not his best quality, however.... at times, he can score goals
and shown a quality wrister.

But he needs a lot of time and space for his offence to be reality, at NHL level
- he did score 14 goals, 26 points in his rookie season, but most of his production
came from relatively narrow span, compared to the entire season

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatass

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
So, at present he is an average'ish 4th liner?
He's not defined as anything yet but his most successful stretch was in the top six in his rookie season and this year in Abby. He's my favourite nucks forward prospect and if people actually watch him play in that role it's obvious his skillset and hockey IQ aren't lacking at all. He creates a ton and has all the tools to be a premier PF he just hasn't had that aha moment yet and for me it comes down to shitty development from a dick coach in the K to being rushed in the NHL getting no minutes to being banished like Hoglander under Bruce who refused to play prospects. He then came out in Abby with 7 games where he was dominant and scoring and creating and then suffered an injury where he seized on the ice. Since then he has stretches where the points come and a lot of games where your left wondering how he didn't score after flying around doing everything the right way.
What stands out to me was in his rookie season both Horvat and JT wanted him on their line and every player to a man went out of their way to gush about him.

I'm old enough to remember how it felt to see Cam Neely another player that struggled early to translate his effort and skill into points, get traded and become a star. Not saying he's the next Neely but moving him now for scraps would be really short-sighted.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Podkolzin has mid level NHL skills at almost everything. His shot and strength are plus features and is extremely hard to win a 1v1 battle with

His IQ and confidence were what set him back. He's not a dumb guy in the slightest. He'll figure it out he's mature beyond his years and cares immensely. He does play with wavering confidence and needs to sort that out as well as he does play with his head down more than you would like.

If it doesn't work out here he will figure it out elsewhere and be a valuable player given his heavy game. That guy from Finland has been weirdly trolling him since he was drafted not sure why its like the opposite of Jovo who is in love with Kravtsov which is next level strange given his disdain vs fandom....It's no secret him (a Oilers fan) and that other Avs fan that trolls Hughes Boeser Garland and anyone that might be talked about in trades are just toying with the emotions of the people that take the bait.

If they move him hopefully it's for a long term top6 or top4 D not a rental. The best is surely yet to come for Pod

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
His offence has always come in bursts. Like maybe he's just a streaky type of player. Offensively i mean, his effort level is always there. This guy still has the record for most points in a KHL playoff year by an U20 player. I hear people around here love that kind of thing.

Edit: Show your work-
He's actually tied with Kravtsov, which is really really impressive (right Ed?)

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
5th game back in the NHL, still 0+0.

ice time 12:39, 9:17, 11:24, 11:41, 10:32

+0 (0+0+0+0+0)
8 shots on goal (0+1+3+3+1)
16 hits (had 5 hits in his game 5)
0 blocked shots
2 take aways

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
NHL/AHL last.. about 20 games (18), 2 goals, 1 assist.

Yeah i know, goals, points are not everything but...
he is a top 10 draft pick, you gotta have at least some production,
you don't pick defensive forwards in the top 10..

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
7 games, 0+0 and got just 6+ minutes of ice time in his last game, vs Buffalo
next stop AHL?
You have an unhealthy obsession with Podz, you must be George leafer incognito.

He was on the 4th line and there was a lot of 4-5 and 4-4, combined with Tochett shortening the bench is why his minutes were low. That being said he's been good in all 7 games. Obviously points would be great and I know it sounds cliche but if he keeps playing this way the points will come especially if plays with better offensive players.
If you actually watched him play or listen to Tochett your takes might be a bit more accurate.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's looked really good on the forecheck the last few games, heavy and physical and retrieving pucks, getting some assists for his efforts. I predict he is going to be a real factor in the playoffs.

Reactions: Kearns

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I know that Canucks fans love him, praise his game and all and yes he has shifts within games
where he plays really good hockey in both neutral and defensive zone, (had few of those in tonight's game as well) but even in those two zones, about half the time he plays meh hockey

What comes to the 3rd zone, zero hockey sense in offensive zone, about 85% of the time.
His game at NHL level is just not quick enough, he second guesses, he is late on plays.

In tonight's game, probably had just 2 shifts in the entire 3rd period, the game was tied 1-1
most of the 3rd period, Canucks needed a goal, i guess their coaching staff has realized the facts.
- even Arshdeep (recently called up rookie) played more in the 3rd than Podkolzin did

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I know that Canucks fans love him, praise his game and all and yes he has shifts within games
where he plays really good hockey in both neutral and defensive zone, (had few of those in tonight's game as well) but even in those two zones, about half the time he plays meh hockey

What comes to the 3rd zone, zero hockey sense in offensive zone, about 85% of the time.
His game at NHL level is just not quick enough, he second guesses, he is late on plays.

In tonight's game, probably had just 2 shifts in the entire 3rd period, the game was tied 1-1
most of the 3rd period, Canucks needed a goal, i guess their coaching staff has realized the facts.
- even Arshdeep (recently called up rookie) played more in the 3rd than Podkolzin did
If we just say "ok he's a bust" will you go away? Like, what exactly are you looking for?

He's never gonna live up to 10th overall. We are happy with his play in the bottom 6 and think he can be a valuable role player. Not really much else to say.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Bains was playing with Miller, Podz was on the 4th line, that's why Podz wasn't playing as much at the end. Podz still had a better game than Bains.

Podz vision has actually shown through, when he gets the puck in the Ozone he finds his options quickly, he can make plays. And he's taken his aggressiveness/physicality to a new level

Everything is about confidence with Podz. They got his confidence/aggression back in Abby, & now their bringing him along in a manageable role. He's already had a double digit goal season, hes capable of playing more but this is about developing his consistency.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

did he sleep with your GF or something? like seriously, just stop. For once our own fanbase and staff is giving him leash, let him develop.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
did he sleep with your GF or something? like seriously, just stop. For once our own fanbase and staff is giving him leash, let him develop.
Why do you people think i hate him? i just cant comprehend it..

I haven't said anywhere that i would hate him, in any-where, your claim that
i have something against Vasil, is just plain stupid.

Seems to be a good dude, good father too, the much i have read about him.
I only question his and Canucks fans (and Canucks HC) opinions and how they/you see his game

Yes, those are my (and your) opinions but i have played a tiny bit of hockey my self and followed, watched the sport around 38 years in a row, i do have (in my opinion) great
understanding about ice hockey.

When ever i watch Canucks games, i just don't see a top 6, top 9 player in him,
- yes he did score 14 goals, 26 points in 79 games, in his rookie season, while
playing about 13 minutes in avg a game

And he could be that, 10-15 goal, 20-30 pt 4th liner guy, while playing great defensively,
but right now, at this moment, even that is a reach

Sure, time will tell, maybe im wrong, maybe im right, what we do all know,
he has not lived the hype and you do not pick 10 overall a forward whos best
aspect of his game, is his defensive abilities. - you gotta show some offensive upside too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad